CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

More info on fuel rail

Dloch

WASHINGTON -- General Motors Corp. is recalling 93,572 Oldsmobile Aurora sedans because fuel can leak into the engine and start a fire, the federal government said Friday.

The recall affects Auroras (pictured, right) from the 1995-1997 model years.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Association said it has received 123 complaints about the problem. In one case, a fire started while the vehicle was parked in a garage attached to a home. The vehicle was destroyed and the home was damaged, NHTSA said.

The agency said the fuel is leaking because the nylon tubing used in the fuel rail can degrade and crack. Owners will be notified later this spring of GM's plans to repair the vehicles.

I have to believe the Cadillac can't be far behind

Dennis

Yea, with that kind of liability I would think ALL nylon fuel lines will be recalled soon. I'll sure be keeping my sniffer tuned in to gas fumes when I pull in the garage from now on.

A while back I posted an article about the car that caught fire in the garage, I wonder if taht was the one that broke the camels back. Sure sounds like the same fire. I still have m jerry rigged fuel rail. I hope they do recall Caddy's so I can get mine fixed. MC

My fuel lines are jury rigged too. Hope it doesn't catch fire. I'd buy new ones except GM doesn't make replacement fuel line for cars more than a couple years old.

Dan, which engine does your 92 Seville have? I was under the impression that the 4.9 was not effected by this fuel rail problem since the fuel rails in the 92 Seville are stainless steel. It was also my understanding that the Northstar was not in the 92 Seville.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

A while back I posted an article about the car that caught fire in the garage, I wonder if taht was the one that broke the camels back. Sure sounds like the same fire. I still have m jerry rigged fuel rail. I hope they do recall Caddy's so I can get mine fixed. MC

Just curious, what did you mean that yours is "Jerry rigged"? Was it leaking and you had to patch is somehow?

So far so good on mine with over 171K mi. ;) As far as I know mine is original. I would think the first cars that have these problems would be the ones exposed to the highest under-hood heat such as the South Western states... :unsure:

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Marika,

They used to be stainless steel, they're rubber now.

Yes, I know they are some type of material other than stainless steel in the northstar. Are you saying that you had the SS rails replaced in your 92 and that "rubber" was used instead of SS during the replacement?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Yes, they were rubbing against the transmission and had worn through. I went to the dealer to get new ones and was told that they were discontinued. So I went to Home Depot to replace them with copper lines, but I could not find a tool that would make the proper flange for me, so I went to Advance and bought some rubber hose and some hose clamps, to repair the line. I had first tried to simply slip the rubber hose over the hole, but then I ran into clearance problems with the line still rubbing against the transmission. I tried to bend it, but then I kinked it so I had to cut a large portion out and replace it with rubber line.

Yes, they were rubbing against the transmission and had worn through. I went to the dealer to get new ones and was told that they were discontinued. So I went to Home Depot to replace them with copper lines, but I could not find a tool that would make the proper flange for me, so I went to Advance and bought some rubber hose and some hose clamps, to repair the line. I had first tried to simply slip the rubber hose over the hole, but then I ran into clearance problems with the line still rubbing against the transmission. I tried to bend it, but then I kinked it so I had to cut a large portion out and replace it with rubber line.

Dan, I don't need to tell you how dangerous this is. Find someone who can fashion the proper lines and have them installed.

Have you checked local junk yards to see if you can find them on a junked 4.9?

Check with a local body shop since they have access to nationwide searches for used parts.

Yikes!! :(

Archived