CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

need a little help please

scottyd

Hi everyone. I'm new here, so bear with me a little. Just got an '88 Eldorado with 91,000 miles,real nice car,my first Cadillac. But I have some questions I hope you'll help me with. First ,rear brakes--outside pad is worn good,but inside pad looks new-when I replaced pads,rotor would not turn-also missing inside pad clip ( one dealer said supposed to come with pads,but I don't think so)-inside pad just flops around loose,reason I was changing pads anyway,every bump I went over rear rattle badly.

ELC worked fine till I jacked up front of car, what did I do?

What's good to clean and moisturize the leather seats? Mine are in good shape,just starting to crack and feel hard.

Why is the paint peeling off in places? Just bad original paint job or typical of GM in late 80"s? Anything I can do, other than repaint--doesn't really need it,just some areas.

Where can I find the option codes? I mean I have the codes,just where can I find what they are? If the car has the 15" wheels,does than automatically mean it has the touring(?) suspension option?

Oh well,that's enough for now.If I did anything wrong,like wrong forum or something,let me know so I can get it right next time. Thanks in advance

By the way,have looked at past posts and I know some of this is mentioned ,so if you are repeating too much,sorry--just cannot find the answers I can understand.

scott

Welcome Scott!

1) Your brake problem sounds like a sticking caliper...either the piston is stuck in the caliper bore or the caliper is not sliding properly on the mounting pin. This is why one of your pads is worn gone and the other one looks like new still.

2) Jacking up the front should not have damaged your rear ELC. If it really stopped working, it'd be a coincidence. Perhaps during the rear brake work, one of the ride height sensors was disconnected or damaged?

4) The paint peeling is probably the clearcoat starting to come off? This is common of GM cars in the 1980s that may not have received regular washings or care.

5) The SPID (Service Parts Identification Decal) should be mounted underneath the decklid on 85-90 E-body cars such as your '88 Eldorado.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks.

Got the SPID, but where can I find out what they stand for,like FE5 = suspension option?

But if the caliper were sticking,how could outside pad wear,wouldn't they both be unworn (is that a word?)(oh well,you know what I mean) I mean doesn't then piston push inside pad in first and if stuck how does outside pad contact.I am obviously not a mechanic,although I enjoy working on a car more than almost anything (I kinda like to eat,too) .Let me know,thanks again. Scott

For leather care I would suggest you visit http://www.zymol.com and check out their line of products that cover every aspect of car care.

The leather sounds like it could use a good dose of mink oil which can be purchased anywhere shoe polish is sold. Simply follow the directions on the can but be sure to apply the mink oil AFTER you clean and initially condition the leather with Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner products. By the way, one of the worst things that you can apply to leather is silicone. It will harden the leather and make it eventually crack. NEVER apply silicone to leather. Always use products that are designed to work specifically with leather. In fact, silicone is no good for any part of the car. I never use it on any car.

By the way, any high quality hand creme, such as Nivea, will work equally well at softening, protecting and give light conditioning to the leather, just in case you have an emergency and can't find a product specially made for leather treatment. Just read the product label carefully and made sure it does not contain silicone or any of the other relatives of the silicone family a table of which can be found here http://www.silicone-review.gov.uk/silicone/.

If the clear coat is what's shot on the car, you will need the car entirely repainted. There really is no correct way to apply clear coat without it looking "wrong" and eventually peeling off again. You may have to spring for a new paint job.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Scotty,

As jadcock mentioned, check the pins that the caliper mounts on. They should be lubed and the caliper should slide easily on them. Likely they are rusted and sticking so the piston releases pressure when the brakes are released but the caliper does not, causing the outside pad to stay in contact with the rotor. The newer one have rubber boots on them to prevent this. Not sure if the 88's did but I don't think so.

really sounds like a frozen caliper. i would replace whole piece. you can purchase a loaded caliper (it comes with pads installed) they are not expensive. just make sure you have lubricated pins and slides. there is a special stuff developed by GM for brakes.it is a green silicon type. good luck

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

as the guys mentione you most likely have bad pins (they do not need to be toorusteed, just a bit is enough to prevent smooth movement of pads). as an option you can replace the pins, just lubricate them. this will definitely work if the piston is allright. if not - just put a new caliper. period.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived