CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brush fell into EGR Delivery Tubes Help!

Dave90

Hi,

I was cleaning my EGR delivery tubes since I was getting a code 48. The brush broke and fell into the tube. I cannot see or get a feel for the brush. I was using a model/detailing paint brush and the metal part with the brush and a small piece of plastic is what fell into the hole. What should I do now? Will this do any damage to the engine if I just leave it in there? What will a mechanic have to do to retrieve the brush? Any help anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried sucking it out with a vacuum cleaner? Or maybe a magnetic retriever? If you don't have one you can make one by putting an old magnet on a string or on a thin piece of wood like a chopstick or something. But it's easier to just buy one.

Can you get one of those flex claw retrievers in there? Kinda looks like an old choke cable with a spring loaded retractable 3 prong claw on the end.

i would try some 5 minute epoxy. just take a rod put a mix on the end , push it into the tube until it contacts the btush'd part. wait some 10 minutes and pull. hopefully it will work.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

i would try some 5 minute epoxy. just take a rod put a mix on the end , push it into the tube until it contacts the btush'd part. wait some 10 minutes and pull. hopefully it will work.

What if that glues the rod into the EGR tube :o

I hate to bring these ideas up,

1. If your'e desperate...

Ask a knee surgeon if he needs any practice with an an old "arthroscope"?

2. If your'e really, really, really desparate....

Talk about PITA! Can you say sigmoidiscope? :blink:

It might be easier to figure out how to turn the car upside down and shake it... :lol:

Sorry, good luck

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Compressed air could move the piece into a cylinder where it could cause major damage.

I wouldn't run the engine until you get the piece of the brush out of there - it will get sucked into a cylinder and cause major damage. You may need to pull the intake manifold to retrieve it if none of the suggestions work...

Why were you using a paintbrush to clean the EGR tubes??? All you need to do is rod them out with a coat hanger wire.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Dave:

Don't keep us in suspense. What's the status of the paint brush now?

Archived