CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Higher voltage electrical systems

TDK

Caddy is recognized as an industry leader (because their loyal buyers can afford the newest stuff). The inovative engineering and installation can also be tested on a select group of Carddy owners, who tend to have there cars serviced more by GM thany other models. Thus, fancier features are easier to monitor and adjust if required, before offering to the whole lineup at less cost if marketing demands.

OK then, I had read a bit about higher power electrical systems being considered for a new standard - instead of the 60-year or so old 12-volt system. Most of this engineering work was being pushed by ever-increasing power consumption and a desire to have lighter-gauge wires.

I though there were some other fundemental benefits, but I can not recall right now. Can anyone think of other benefits?

Has anyone else heard of a new standard that is around 48-volts or thereabouts?

Thanks,

(we need a few new threads anyhow)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I remember the car magazines like Car and Driver and Motor Trend talking about this 10 years ago. Some cars (like diesels) already run 24 volt cranking systems. The problem with this is that you need 2-4 batteries, and sometimes 2 alternators. Which can be complicated because they are wired in a series or parallel circuit. (Depending on if you want more volts or amps) Trust me, it gets really confusing the first few times you try to wire 4 batteries together, and if one goes bad, it usually takes at least another battery with it. It's just a pain in the rear to troubleshoot and replace.

There are so many things that are engineered for 12 volt systems, like light bulbs, starters, alternators, etc, basically anything electrical. If you try running them at 24 volts, they'll all burn out within minutes. They basic rule with electronic stuff is that you can increase the amperage without any damage, but you can't raise the volts without any damage. I personally believe that we can keep the 12 volt system alive by simply increasing the amount of amps, that way all the parts remain compatible with existing systems.

In future cars more stuff will go electric -- like steering, A/C, brakes -- all the things that are hydraulic or run off the crank now. We'll need the higher voltage to run everything.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I think that part of the reason to go more electric was that it was difficult to store power mechanically compared to electrically. A prime example of would be generating power while braking - instead of just wasting heat with mechanical pads. A lot of energy there to be harvested, in particular on long downhills.

There is also an overall objective to get electrical motors as small, lightweight and efficient as possible, while maximizing power. I think this is only practical with higher pressure (voltage).

At some point, we may see a Caddy with an electric motor to boost the gas engine "off the line" for instant torque. Might be more relieable than high engine rpm, transmission issues, and fancy fuel handling to handle all the vehicle modes.

Nobody wants to think about cylinders going away... But it might just work if they kept the power and piped the NorthStar snarl into the sound system. ;)

Stuff to think about

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

The 42 volt system....may someday get here soon. The theroy is ok...durability and repair issues are raising their ugly heads...

Some issues on disconnect terminals procedures causing arcing for example. It will burn up the terminal.

You may find some info here...not exactly the article I was looking for.

Motor Age Magazine

Also see the post about the EV1 electric cars. All recalled....all now crushed. Untold millions flushed down the pipe. Maybe more.

One of the reasons the higher voltage systems is being pushed back a few years is problem of the wiring shorting out in a colision. 48 volts would surley start a fire if the harness was pinched or cut in a wreck. Everything will be electric someday. A/c compressors, power steering, water pumps, power brake booster and master cylinders. I think Mercedes has a car now with no hydraulic brakes. All electric. There will be some major changes going on in the next few decades.

Archived