CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Windshield Glare

JGR

The glare in my DHS when the sun is at the right angle is bad. The dash reflects onto the glass. I have had a near accident as a result and need to find a good solution. Thinking of a flat black cloth with weights that I can lay on top of the dash when needed.

Any suggestions?

Have you ever tried some quality, polarized sunglasses?

I have prescription sunglasses that really make a difference!

And/or - have you coated the dash with a shiney "Armor-all" type product and perhaps need to use a dull finish instead?

Good luck

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Have you applied a leather treatment that causes the leather surface to reflect more light? Some of the "wet look" aftermarket leather products would increase the glare or flare potential.

I have not experienced what you are describing with any leather surface dash.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

mikeal1892,

Not to hijack JRG's post too much....

I believe these center caps #9593259 are easily available from Cardio-Doc on Ebay. The old center caps were a #95033/95060. They were "tired" from too many gravel roads, mud etc and had lost a few parts.

However, to get the newer caps to fit the slightly-larger center of the wheels on the '94 Concours:

I had to drill each tab to accept a small round-headed screw. The screws were then adjusted to fit tight, along with a little bit of clear silicone RTV to prevent them from working loose.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

If you want to make it permanent, you might try to break the shine with a very fine sand paper like 1500 grit. If that is not enough, then work down to 1000 or lower til you get the result your looking for. By starting high you won't damage the surface, because once it's done, there's no going back.

Another thought is, go to a home improvement store. They sell large sheets of a none skid rubber that looks somewhat like lace. It is used to place a work piece on while routing or planning. It is easily cut with scissors and actually is not ugly for the application you want. Mine is black. Not sure if they come in colors or not.

Believe it or not, I once wrote a letter to Lee Iococca about this, we had an Aries K company car, and it annoyed me to death. I suggested that they coat the top of their dashboards with a non reflective material or change the angle of it.

Whatever you do, don't use armorall..you want to minimize the shine

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

TDK has it. Get some good quality polarized sunglasses. Once I tried these, I refuse to drive with anything else. In fact, I have a 2003 G35 that has a BAD glare from the dash. The polarized lenses virually eliminate it. They also help with glares from anywhere else. Once you try them, you'll never want to drive without them!!

mikeal1892,

Not to hijack JRG's post too much....

I believe these center caps #9593259 are easily available from Cardio-Doc on Ebay. The old center caps were a #95033/95060. They were "tired" from too many gravel roads, mud etc and had lost a few parts.

However, to get the newer caps to fit the slightly-larger center of the wheels on the '94 Concours:

I had to drill each tab to accept a small round-headed screw. The screws were then adjusted to fit tight, along with a little bit of clear silicone RTV to prevent them from working loose.

thanx tdk !

I know good wheels when i see's them

michael ;)

Archived