CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brakes pulsating

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the Devilles got the brake wear sensors until 2000. The Sevilles got them in 1998.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I don't think the Devilles got the brake wear sensors until 2000. The Sevilles got them in 1998.

I was surprised and disappointed when I noticed my '04 DTS does not have them.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I'm sure I don't have them.

It seems I get the most sqeaking (not counting the bird chirp) when I do low speed stops or for the first moment of braking, in other words I get a nice quick sqeak when I hit the brakes, then a nice long bus-like brake sound as the car slow downs.

The right rear is also now making a sqeak and that just had a caliper replaced, seems any brake the touch starts making noise, I take it these cadillac brakes need some "differant" care then a Chevy maybe?

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I was surprised and disappointed when I noticed my '04 DTS does not have them.

I'm shocked. :o My '03 DHS has them. I would certainly expect an "04 DTS to have them as well.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I was thinking of the SLS. I'll have to check the DHS.

I'm sure I don't have them.

It seems I get the most sqeaking (not counting the bird chirp) when I do low speed stops or for the first moment of braking, in other words I get a nice quick sqeak when I hit the brakes, then a nice long bus-like brake sound as the car slow downs.

The right rear is also now making a sqeak and that just had a caliper replaced, seems any brake the touch starts making noise, I take it these cadillac brakes need some "differant" care then a Chevy maybe?

What brand of ceramic pads did you have put on? Ceramics are known to be quiet. I don't think they need any "special" care. They just need to be done right when replaced. I think you need to just take it in and have them looked at, and then maybe get a second opinion, for peace of mind. I would have the work done by someone other than who's worked on them in the past, or do them yourself...JMHO.

The pads are by Napa, and thats whats puzzling since we've used these on our 92 Deville for each change.

Ceremics don't have really anything that should sqeak or squeal. Took it over there today and the mechanic is just as puzzled and frustrated as I am. They know vibrations must be causeing it, now we just have to find out what is vibrating, and since I don't get any pulsations (the brakes feel fine and work fine-although did feel grabby at first) something just isn't right. I probibly should have started my own thread rather than hijack this one but this one can become "the official brake problem" thread :P

I went over there and went down the list, we scheduled an appointment with them.

Air Deflector, will check that when the wheels off

Wear Indicator, pads are much to knew for that, and before my trip at the end of july the pad was turned, that shouldn't be it.

Calipers hanging up: he is going to inspect all the parts and see if something isn't in their right (same thing for slider bolts and bushings

Anti-Sqeal isn't needed on any of the new brakes

The only grease the use is Silicone and before I could say it would make the bushings sweel he said it.

Since the problems began occuring just after the hub and bearing was replaced that is another thing he will check out.

My friend around the corner has an air torque wrench, might go over there this weekend and pop the tire off (don't want to do that at my house since I have no way of putting it back on to the right torque specs.

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

"Before my trip at the end of july the pad was turned, that shouldn't be it."

Not sure what you mean there, but pads aren't "turned".

Visually inspect the pads for wear. Don't assume anything, esp. if you have a sticky slider or caliper hanging, which could cause premature wear.

Not turned, can't think of the word, something he did to it, I'll think of it at some point.

The Green's Machines

Not turned, can't think of the word, something he did to it, I'll think of it at some point.

Did you mean the rotors turned? There's nothing you do to pads, besides replace them.

^thats it, my mind got jumbled with all these new terms :) thanks for catching the mistake.

EDIT: also when/if I take the wheel/wheels off should there something I look for at the rotor/pads? It should be smooth without any groves or strange lines right?

The Green's Machines

^thats it, my mind got jumbled with all these new terms :) thanks for catching the mistake.

EDIT: also when/if I take the wheel/wheels off should there something I look for at the rotor/pads? It should be smooth without any groves or strange lines right?

Yes, you should see plenty of thickness in the pads, the squeakers plenty enough away from the rotors and the rotor surface smooth as a baby's butt! :)

The pads are by Napa, and thats whats puzzling since we've used these on our 92 Deville for each change.

Ceremics don't have really anything that should sqeak or squeal. Took it over there today and the mechanic is just as puzzled and frustrated as I am. They know vibrations must be causeing it, now we just have to find out what is vibrating, and since I don't get any pulsations (the brakes feel fine and work fine-although did feel grabby at first) something just isn't right. I probibly should have started my own thread rather than hijack this one but this one can become "the official brake problem" thread :P

I went over there and went down the list, we scheduled an appointment with them.

Air Deflector, will check that when the wheels off

Wear Indicator, pads are much to knew for that, and before my trip at the end of july the pad was turned, that shouldn't be it.

Calipers hanging up: he is going to inspect all the parts and see if something isn't in their right (same thing for slider bolts and bushings

If the air deflector is retained by the hub bearing bolts, then I would highly suspect that the air deflector has changed positions and is conting the rotor. It is easy enough to inspect and just bend it out of the way so it clears the rotor.

Anti-Sqeal isn't needed on any of the new brakes

The only grease the use is Silicone and before I could say it would make the bushings sweel he said it.

Since the problems began occuring just after the hub and bearing was replaced that is another thing he will check out.

My friend around the corner has an air torque wrench, might go over there this weekend and pop the tire off (don't want to do that at my house since I have no way of putting it back on to the right torque specs.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

alright went into the shop today, they pulled all the wheels checked all pads, took it all apart, retorqed etc.

They replaced all pads under warranty, they were glazed over (possibly from the brakes not releasing all the way). Car brakes 100% better, they showed me the pads and they looked bad.

Good to finally have this fixed..makes me wonder with how bad them pads were if they actually cleaned them off and what not before, maybe just tried with compressed air and did it lazily, I don't know, all is well now and didn't cost me a dime.

The Green's Machines

alright went into the shop today, they pulled all the wheels checked all pads, took it all apart, retorqed etc.

They replaced all pads under warranty, they were glazed over (possibly from the brakes not releasing all the way). Car brakes 100% better, they showed me the pads and they looked bad.

Good to finally have this fixed..makes me wonder with how bad them pads were if they actually cleaned them off and what not before, maybe just tried with compressed air and did it lazily, I don't know, all is well now and didn't cost me a dime.

That's great, but why were your pads worn out already? Didn't you write they were replaced over the winter? What reason did they give you for premature pad failure? I would think either your sliders weren't serviced correctlty last time, or you have a sticking caliper(s).

If your pads were worn out, then it was the squeakers (wear indicators) you were hearing then, right? Did they confirm they were worn down that far?

they were wearing just fine, but they were glazed over apparantly contacting the rotor slightly while the brakes were released. The went threw and checke dout the whole brake system.

All I know is now its fixed and I am happy, your suggestions (along with the others members) seems to be exactly what they were checking out (and some)...maybe from me prompting them I'm not sure, all is well no more sqeaking :)

The Green's Machines

That's great they're fixed! I was only asking those questions so we could learn from your experiences is all. Did they say what caused the glazing? Maybe the glazing happened while "bedding in" the brakes? I'm still not a firm believer in the whole "bedding in" process. The time before last I bedded in my brakes (1st time trying that) and had problems with my brakes. Was it coincidence, who knows? All I know is I won't be doing it anymore. The theory makes sense, but my problems didn't.

Now I did do some repeated rolling stops (not to a complete stop mind you) and heated them up a bit, and never applied my brakes at a stop at first, after turning my rotors, but I didn't follow the bedding in procedure to the letter like before.

Well he said that something got them hot, I was experianceing problems well before I ever tried bedding them, hopefully those will not return and I'll have lasting brakes. It could have been anything from a bad batch of pads, bedding them, panic stop, sticking calipers. All I know is they re-torqued, replaced, and now all is good :)

The Green's Machines

Well the proof is in the pudding as they say, let see how long they are good, maybe they solved the problem. I hope they cleaned and greased the sliders, no way they stick and not release if that was done the first time... Of course there is no squeeking, the pads are new and the wear sensor is far away from the rotor at this point..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yes, I hope they fixed them right this time too, but it bothers me you weren't given a definative reason why they failed (or glazed-got hot) the first time. If it was a sticking slide, they should of been able to determine that when they replaced the pads, or atleast should have been able to rule that out. That makes me wonder if....

If you have any more problems, I'd look for another shop.

I thought I noted but apparantly didn't, the also resurfaced the rotors (from what I understand that could be one cause of the sqeal too if it was done wrong in a past refinish).

Possibly related or unrelated, yesterday I noticed when I make some left turns I get a rough sound, coming from the front of the car. Steering isn't effected and still smooth, just once in a while a roughish sound, not quite a rubbing sound, but something. I can't remember if this was there or not before since it was probibly covered up with all the brake sounds :P

The Green's Machines

Archived