CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant Flush

angeno03

Hey guys! 95' sts w/ 73,000 miles. Thinking about a coolant flush for preventitve maintenence. Nothing is wrong as far as I can tell. Is there anything I should know before I bring it in to get done. I will be bringing it to the local goodyear. Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah, just drain and refill 50/50 green coolant and distilled water. Tap water will just introduce unwanted minerals. I doubt GY will use anything but tap water so you may have to supply the 50/50 premixed for them to be sure. Maybe even the tabs. Don't forget the cooling system suppliment (sealant tabs) in the radiator hose NOT the surge tank.

Bbob said it’s fine to just drain the radiator and refill with 50/50 coolant and sealer as needed.

My Eldorado has a drain plug on the lower left side of the radiator. It’s not easy to find unless the air filter housing is removed. I would think the 95 STS also has a drain plug. Last October I replaced the radiator and had the system machine flushed. So far, no problems; however, from now on I’ll just drain the radiator during the fall and refill with 50/50.

Bbob also said it’s important to make sure coolant is renewed at least as recommended to protect the aluminum from corrosion and also to protect the head gasket which can fail due to coolant neglect. But I remember him saying that draining the radiator once a year and replenish with 50/50 and appropriate sealer is fine.

we just just a T in the heater hose and flush it that way ! :D

Flushing is NOT recommended for the reasons stated earlier in this thread. Flushing introduces minerals from the tap water into the system which can cause additional problems. Also, it is very difficult to get the coolant concentration right with the system full of water - it becomes a trial and error game. A drain and refill with the proper coolant mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED water is all that is required.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Filling / flushing with tap water is a crap shoot. Do you know what is in your tap water??

My tap water contains the following:

Lime

Carbon

Fluoride

Potassium permanganate

MiOx

MiOx uses salt, water, and electricity to generate a chlorine-based disinfectant solution.

According to www.miox.com, advantages over traditional chlorination include safety,

regulatory ease, and elimination of mixing and dilution requirements.

I trust all this is safe for humanoid consumption. But my water supplier is not concerned about aluminum engine cooling systems.

Distilled water is the only way to go. And I doubt if a Goodyear (or any) service facility will use distilled water.

If you want the job done right, do it yourself!

[soapbox mode = off]

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

we just just a T in the heater hose and flush it that way ! :D

Flushing is NOT recommended for the reasons stated earlier in this thread. Flushing introduces minerals from the tap water into the system which can cause additional problems. Also, it is very difficult to get the coolant concentration right with the system full of water - it becomes a trial and error game. A drain and refill with the proper coolant mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED water is all that is required.

So I take it the consensus is simply to drain either from the drain plug or pull the lower hose off as discussed in previous threads and buy premixed 50/50 or full strength and mix with distilled water? I think the 50/50 premixed is fine to use with aluminum; though I don’t think it’s mixed with distilled water.

I think we had discussed that the pre-mix was not worth the price in the past. Now that you mention that it may not be distilled water, that is another reason to mix your own.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I went to Wal-Mart today and checked the coolant section. I didn't see any full strength available as it was all 50/50 in the range of about $5.98 to $7. I wouldn't be surprised if full strength is eventually phased out. Just curious, can full strength be stored indefinitely?

I went to Wal-Mart today and checked the coolant section. I didn't see any full strength available as it was all 50/50 in the range of about $5.98 to $7. I wouldn't be surprised if full strength is eventually phased out. Just curious, can full strength be stored indefinitely?

I personally refuse to shop for my cars at "Wally World". Not even for items like oil and coolant. Actually, I only go there at all as a last resort for other items. I suspect you could find full strength coolant at Napa or Autozone.

Charles

Charles

ditto

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

.... Just curious, can full strength be stored indefinitely?

A quote from the Havoline web pages;

"Always dispose of used coolant in accordance with local, state, and federal guidelines. Because this product is silicate free, Havoline Extended Life

Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL® can be stored at least 8 years with no problem."

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

.... Just curious, can full strength be stored indefinitely?

A quote from the Havoline web pages;

"Always dispose of used coolant in accordance with local, state, and federal guidelines. Because this product is silicate free, Havoline Extended Life

Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL® can be stored at least 8 years with no problem."

This case calls for the green stuff. But it's good to know that DEX-COOL has an 8 year shelf life.

Charles

Charles

I had to flush mine because heater core was plugged. I just used a Prestone Cleaner with Distilled water.......ran the car for 10 minutes at operating temperature, drained, filled with distilled water, emptied, and refilled with 50/50 and Bars additive. I got my mix wrong........as water was still in the system. But you can check it with that cheap gauge and with Prestone anyways............a 50/50 mix is -34 degrees..........close enough for me. So I just drained some more and added more anti freeze. I did have to flush my heater core with a hose.........so probably added some minerals...........but oh well.........it cleaned out the heater core.

As long as you drained the heater core, you should be OK. I always check those Prestone gages with a known 50/50 concentration to be sure they read -34 degrees.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived