CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Running Nitrogen Filled Tires

Rusty

Anyone on this board using N instead of regular compressor air ? Supposedly, not susceptible to condensation, and corrects the problem with the corrosion inside the wheels. I only just learned it's available from one of the local discount tire outlets.

Anyone on this board using N instead of regular compressor air ? Supposedly, not susceptible to condensation, and corrects the problem with the corrosion inside the wheels. I only just learned it's available from one of the local discount tire outlets.

Yes, I have heard of it at Sam's Club. $5/wheel. N molecules are larger and will

leak out slower... I was not aware of the corrosion fix.

Sounds like a good idea. I have a 300m which requires air every week.

The rims are crap. Oxidation is relentless. I have tried everything to no avail.

I am considering N.

We'll see what others say.

good luck.

Yes, I have heard of it at Sam's Club. $5/wheel. N molecules are larger and will

leak out slower... I was not aware of the corrosion fix.

Sounds like a good idea. I have a 300m which requires air every week.

The rims are crap. Oxidation is relentless. I have tried everything to no avail.

I am considering N.

We'll see what others say.

good luck.

There wouldn't be any water vapor with pure nitrogen - that might help slow down any corrosion but I wouldn't think nitrogen filled tires would leak slower than compressed air since compressed air is 80% nitrogen anyway.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I doubt that the rims are crap, I think the problem might be if the chrome gets the smallest of nicks you create a place for rust to start. The rust migrates under the chrome and in a short while the chrome starts to flake off. The small nicks probably come from changing tires, and normal wear and tear.

I would think the problem would be worse where they salt the roads. One of the few remaining benefits of living in California, no salt on the roads, at least in the flatlands.

Moisture is not the cause of corrosion, it just makes it easier to occur. For something to oxidize you need oxygen (or some other oxidizer ). Moisture is almost never pure H2O on our cars, even spring rain contains dissolved salts and O2 which cause the corrosion. Of course Air is about 18% O2 so it too is a great source of oxygen.

Now theoretically if you fill the tires with N2 (which is mostly inert) or Ar (which it totally inert) the wheels should not corrode. That is if they are corroding from the inside out; my tire guy feels that the tire corrode from the outside in... And the evidence tends to support this as (on my car anyway) the inside (read wettest/dirtiest) edges of rims were corroding first. If they were corroding from the inside out then the corosion should be even on the "inside" and "outside" rims...

But for $5 bucks a wheel... give it a shot... It can't hurt.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Costco fills their tires with nitogen at no extra charge. Both my cars have it now. New tires with N2 have the tell tale green caps installed on the valve stems. This technology is to preserve the rubber from oxygen infiltration that will degrade the tire over time (from the inside out). The experts claim regular compressed air leaks through the side wall, thus ruins the tire. The store owners have to warantee the tires with less returns is the driving force here, rim health is a bonus! Also only a small cylinder and regulator is needed, not a huge air comp system= more profit. They can fill a lot of tires on one tank! I believe in time all tire dealers will be using it.

I worked on airplanes several years ago, and we were required to use "dry nitrogen" on the systems. I think it is somewhat more expensive and different than what Costco or Sam's use to fill auto tires. Is what they are selling "dry" or "regular" nitrogen and just charging more for something that is a cool thing to use or make us think it is?

Cosco here in IL will fill for no charge, I put it in my Corvette tires. They did not require topping off during the season. If they did, though, I'd be running to Cosco all the time which could be a pain.

I was told the stuff is less sensitive to heat related expansion and tires maintain a more even pressure.

True?

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

I was told the stuff is less sensitive to heat related expansion and tires maintain a more even pressure.

True?

True, that is why aircraft use Nitrogen. Huge temp differentials between ground and cruise altitude.

Good post! I was wondering about the stuff myself. Now, how do you get all the "regular air" out before filling with N?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Last spring I got new summer tires (Michelin) on my Cadillac and had them filled with nitrogen at a little extra charge (don't remember exactly how much it was).

Don't know about effects pos or neg regarding the rims, but the tires kept their pressure for one year now without any loss. Not bad.

Stefan

I had my tires filled with laughing gas. No problems with rust or anything. The only problems were that when I went to a Phish concert I came back to find that my tires were flat. Go figure. :)

Archived