CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Katrina Flood Car

weephee

Hello. I once bought a 2000 Eldorado ETC that had an engine fire. The damage from the firefighters was worse than the damage from the fire itself. Windows were smashed out, an axe went through the dash and the hood was pryed open from both fenders.The car had 13,000 miles on it so I thought I'd take on the challenge of repairing it. I had to completely remove the wiring harness from tail lights to headlights and all in between and every piece of the trunk and interior was removed. I also had to remove the engine and tranny which were OK in order to replace the engine harness and to clean and paint the engine compartment. I was lucky enough to find a 2000 Eldorado ETC that had been rolled. It had the same colour of tan interior so I salvaged everything off of it and put the parts into the burnt car. I worked out of an unheated garage all winter and by March ie 3 months later, I had the car running and on the road. I have very limited mechanical experience. I guess the point to all of this is that you shouldn't be afraid to tackle any repair on these cars as long as you have the OEM manual, take a million pictures and label everything as you go. You don't have to have a lot of speciality tool either, just some wheel pullers and a lot of patience.

I just bought a black on black 2000 Eldorado ETC from Jackson Mississippi. This car was submerged in salt water up to the top of the dash and remained closed up from August 2005 to January 2006. Talk about surface rust. Salt water doesn't seem to do much for bare steel and electronics. I have just about removed the interior and I have the engine freed up. I think this car has about 70k miles but the body is in perfect condition, not a scratch or dent. Again I'm going to buy a wrecked parts car to put this one back together again. If this board would be interested in having me post pictures through out the restoration, I would be glad to do so, It might help someone out in trying to repair one of these absolutely beautiful machines.

Absolutely! Post away!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Definately it will be interesting to see if you can get it back on the road again. How much did it cost you and how did you find it?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Definately it will be interesting to see if you can get it back on the road again. How much did it cost you and how did you find it?

I paid $2000 for it and the purchase was through a friend. I'll post some pictures within the next week. Thanks for the interest.

A brave man indeed!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I certainly hope he plans on replacing all the wiring as well. This is going to be major....

I my opinion the wiring is the only part of the car worth saving LOL! However just about anything attached to a wire will need to be replaced... Motors, sensors, any and all computers. This is a massive project. There is a reason that most insurance co INSTANTLY total flood damaged or submerged cars...

Good Luck! This is not going to be easy!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I would love to see them!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

I certainly hope he plans on replacing all the wiring as well. This is going to be major....

I my opinion the wiring is the only part of the car worth saving LOL! However just about anything attached to a wire will need to be replaced... Motors, sensors, any and all computers. This is a massive project. There is a reason that most insurance co INSTANTLY total flood damaged or submerged cars...

Good Luck! This is not going to be easy!

I agree, a flood car would be an electrical nightmare. Good Luck, I am afraid you will need it. Let us know how it goes.

Archived