CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

question

STSJohn

I just purchased an 04 escalade from a non-cadillac dealer with 30k miles 2 weeks ago. I just noticed that the trucks transmission is starting to "bang" and is lack power. I brought it to my local cadillac dealership to check it out and the service writer said that the previous owner of the truck beat on it and they refuse to warranty it, Is this legal? even though the car is still under full factory warranty.

2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT Light platinum 39K miles

~Vogue VTXi Package - Corsa Exhaust - K & N Cold air intake - Blacked out tints

2004 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L all-whell drive Pewter 42k miles

~22" Tis 07 Rims - E&G Chrome Vertyical billet Grill - Limo tints - Tv's in the Visor and headrests

1990 Mustang GT Painted Cadillac Diamond White - 604 Rwhp

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

2005 Cadillac STS V8(Dad)

2000 Eldorado ETC (Brother)

How in the world would then know that the prior owner beat on it? I don't think that it matters anyway, its under warranty

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

the dealer may have extensive knowledge of the vehicle if they sold/serviced it. all they do is punch in the vin and the history of the car is available to them, if it was serviced at their dealership. also, if the original owner started a case file with caddy cust service, that info could be available (not sure 100 % sure about this) to the dealer.

jackg 90seville 100k

I bought it from Ford lincoln mercury and brought it my caddy dealership today, the service writer took it for a quick drive (10-15 minutes) after I explained what was happening and he came back and told me the the original owner beat on this car pretty bad and therefore will not honor the warranty. The car was serviced at massey cadillac of orlando since it was bought (Oil changes,30k serivce, etc....). My main question is can they legally not honor my warranty being this guy states that it was beaten on?

~22" Tis 07 Rims - E&G Chrome Vertyical billet Grill - Limo tints - Tv's in the Visor and headrests

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

In your owners manual there is a phone number to call Cadillac service. They might even have the website to go to. I would complain to them, they should help you with the warranty issues.

the dealer may have extensive knowledge of the vehicle if they sold/serviced it. all they do is punch in the vin and the history of the car is available to them, if it was serviced at their dealership. also, if the original owner started a case file with caddy cust service, that info could be available (not sure 100 % sure about this) to the dealer.

jackg 90seville 100k

jack while I agree with what you are saying the car only has 30,000 miles on it. The only thing that needed changing was the oil at that point. I can not imagine how its possible to abuse a car with such low mileage plus its just 2 years old. Maybe its been off road? :lol:

In what way could the prior owner have abused the tranny, towing? This does not make sense to me with it being under warranty.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Take it to another dealer.

If the dealer were familiar with the truck, and had in fact denied warranty coverage for

a specific reason as detailed in the warranty, say for racing, then you should take

the truck back to the place you bought it, since you bought it assuming the truck was

still under warranty and it is not.

If the dealer does not have specific knowledge of violation of specific portions of the

warranty conditions, then the truck is still under warranty.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

the dealerships' get their direction from the manufacturer. if the manfr sends out a memorandum stating that certain problems will not be covered due to neglect or abuse and will state WHAT conditions the svc writer should look for, then there's a pretty good chance they won't pick up the tab, especially since the dealer is being reimbursed by the manfr. case in point: mitsubishi with the evo...certain owners have been denied warrantee work because the delaer had evidence that the car had been raced at the track!! it doesn't really matter about the mileage: if the vehcile has been abused/neglected the dealer has a leg to stand on.

maybe the dealer is trying to skate on the repair work, or maybe they have a a legitimate reason for denying the warrantee work. aside from the issue of the repair work, maybe doing a little background work on who owned the vehicle originally will better explain if it's the dealeship trying to bail on the work or if the vehicle was abused.

it's no help now, but this is the perfect example of having a vehicle road tested and inspected by a delaership BEFORE you put your name on the dotted line. jackg 90seville 100k

In your owners manual there is a phone number to call Cadillac service. They might even have the website to go to. I would complain to them, they should help you with the warranty issues.

While you're calling Cadillac Service I would lodge a complaint against the dealership... And then find another one.

Their refusal to repair this car based on a 15 minute test drive is CRAP... they have no way of knowing how the car was driven based on that assessment. Did he check the trans fluid? Is it burnt? Does your car have a trans fluid life indicator (which is a very good measure of the temperature extremes the the tranny has endured). Has the truck's engine been modified? Did he look?

But lets be honest here... The dealer really has no clue and is only guessing until he drops the pan...

Dealers like this are giving GM and the Cadillac brand a really bad name!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I brought the car to the Massey cadillac Orlando where is was always serviced when is was owned by the original owner. I explained to the General manager and service manager what their sanford branch was doing to me and they told my to report them to GM and the Florida B.B.B and he was going to ring the main office to inform them of the sanford business practices. I had to leave the car there becuase of the 3 hour wait and the lack of mechanics today so hopefully I will hear something a little later.

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

Nice!

Something similar like this happened to my parents with their 2002 dts. One of the service writers who worked at Brogan Cadillac in Ridgewood and shall remain nameless told them they wouldn't do any work under waranty because they didn't purchase the car from them. <_<

Needless to say after a complaint to cadillac service they agreed to honor the waranty

Something similar like this happened to my parents with their 2002 dts. One of the service writers who worked at Brogan Cadillac in Ridgewood and shall remain nameless told them they wouldn't do any work under waranty because they didn't purchase the car from them. <_<

Needless to say after a complaint to cadillac service they agreed to honor the waranty

I would have gone to another (more cosumer friendly) dealer. That's kind of like forcing your wife to have sex after an argument (if there is such a thing :lol: ). How good can it be (The warranty work or the sex).

HAHA, Brogan is really the closest most convenient dealer for us to go to and they hadn't done that when my parents originally bought my 95, and my mother being the way she is just wasn't satisfied with going to another dealer so she went on the war path. Because of the whole ordeal she got to know one of the service writers there very well whose a cool guy and doesn't try and sell us "services" we don't need and we always ask for him when taking either of our cars there. They have also highered a new service manager and fired the guy I mentioned previously and since then there service has been much better. I can't complain at all about the recent work I had done there.

Yeah, the GM at massey on OBT in Orlando is a good guy. When I had my car there a month ago, they accidently damaged one of my body panels with the lift. I brought it in and explained to him what happened, and he quickly offered to have it fixed as soon as possible, free of charge. Even offered to buy me lunch when I went there to get it fixed. Some fo the best service I've ever recieved.

Archived