CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turbo Dyno Numbers

MARK 99STS

Well, we took it to the dyno last night.

It did 383hp at the wheels and 417 ft lbs of torque @ 6.9 boost and about 11.2AFR. I still had the slicks on it and the guys there said that if I would have had radials on it and not running so rich, it would have easily done over 400hp. They said the slicks absorb a lot of HP.I would rather run a little rich and be safe than being on the edge. They also said the torque would have been higher if we could have started the pull at about 2500rpm, but we started at 4100 as to make sure it wouldn't downshift since it is an automatic. It hit max torque and max boost instantly.

IPB Image

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Excellent result.

Compare to stock northstars which have pulled under 220hp at the wheels on dyno's in the past.

Arguably you are making over 475 hp at the crank; (383.7/0.8) very nice upgrade, and comparable to the 469hp supercharged DOHC VVT 4.4L STS-V.

Still some room for tuning if all goes well...

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Excellent result.

Compare to stock northstars which have pulled under 220hp at the wheels on dyno's in the past.

Arguably you are making over 475 hp at the crank; (383.7/0.8) very nice upgrade, and comparable to the 469hp supercharged DOHC VVT 4.4L STS-V.

Still some room for tuning if all goes well...

Bruce,

If you do the math and use the same loss ratio of 27%, I am at 525 at the crank. I think I would blow away the new STS-V

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Bruce,

If you do the math and use the same loss ratio of 27%, I am at 525 at the crank. I think I would blow away the new STS-V

I wouldn't argue with you; assuming 20% losses as the avg for automatics is

conservative is all.

I never understood why the northstar/4T80e never made better numbers at the wheels,

although I suspect the viscous torque converter is especially lossy.

Did you have a dyno chart for your car close to pre-turbo?

Hopefully you will be able to get around/under 13sec for the quarter now you think?

Might be better to not worry the numbers and just enjoy the ride though.

Now you HAVE to package the turbo kit for resale.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Nice Mark, I can't wait to see the dyno vid...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

SWEEEET!!!

If you do market this I would offer three kits...

1) Complete... Fuel upgrade, inter-cooler, turbo, exhaust, Computer, tuning instructions etc.

2) All of the above less turbo and exhaust bits

3) Just a tuned computer with instructions and part numbers for the rest.

Option 2 would let someone mount the turbo elsewhere in the car... Perhaps at the back

and

Option 3 would let someone do a pay as you go or experiment with a supercharger...

Just my 2 cents

VERY NICE JOB!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

You guys aren't going to believe this but I forgot my camera as the dyno was a last minute thing and I left in such a rush, I forgot the camera. I am going back when I have different tires and tweak the tune to get it over 400 hp and I will video it then.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Well, we took it to the dyno last night.

It did 383hp at the wheels and 417 ft lbs of torque @ 6.9 boost and about 11.2AFR...

Mark,

Congratulations!

Excellent work! Unbelieveable results!

How is it on the street? Predictable? or Insane?

Mark,

How is it on the street? Predictable? or Insane?

Actually it is predictable now that I have been driving it , but it is also INSANE when you get on it. It drives 98% the way it was before the turbo for normal driveability. The idle screw had to be set up just a hair to compensate for the injectors and if you take your foot off the gas abruptly and hit the brake hard it will kill it as it can't recover quick enough with the injectors. Very minor thing, otherwise it is great. I am still in awe when I just goose it a little going 35mph and look down and holy sh... I'm doing 55-60 in a heartbeat.

Simply amazing!!

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Nice! That's a very AMG Benzish horsepower shelf from 4600 RPM on up. The the kind of powerband you can be proud of! Have you shifted the powerband much from the stock tuning? How's the low end under a light foot? Was low end torque sacraficed for the all that savage mid range power? Just curious, as a car dork...

--Ben

Was low end torque sacraficed for the all that savage mid range power? Just curious, as a car dork...

--Ben

Not only was low end NOT sacrificed, it is crazy, just like the rest of the power band. I've been driving the car now a little over a week and have put more than 1000 miles on it and it just gets better and better. It's all in the pedal. I have learned how to feather the throttle from a stop just to where the tires break, back off just a bit, get back in it about half and let it shift to 2nd and then hammer it. OH MY GOD it pulls hard. My 60 ft times are going to be unreal with the torque this thing has and the 3600 stall converter. I am learning how to get max power out of it with as little abuse as possible on the tranny.(no WOT up or down shifts).

For those that are seriously interested, we have come up with a price for a full turnkey setup including tunning for $12,000. We have come to the conclusion that it can not be done in pieces or a parts kit only as it would have to be so customized for each car that it just wouldn't be feasible. Unfortunately it is that complicated and difficult. It is almost a one of a kind for each car unless it is a 98 or 99. Actually 12 grand is still cheap considering how much time and effort it will take to duplicate the current setup as all the piping has to be hand fabricated and welded.

Did you have a dyno chart for your car close to pre-turbo?

Hopefully you will be able to get around/under 13sec for the quarter now you think?

Might be better to not worry the numbers and just enjoy the ride though.

Sorry Bruce I missed your questions earlier.

I did dyno it just before we started the project and it came in at 250whp, 254 torque. That was with the 3600 stall converter and the LSD along with all my other mods.

The dyno guys calculated based on 4000lb car I should be about 12.5 in the 1/4 mile. That is what Jim had predicted also.

I am definetly enjoying the ride!!

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Mark,

How did you specifically determine the engine was still running rich at power (O2 sensor) ?

From any viewpoint (technical, aesthetic, cost/HP), a finely crafted piece of work that anyone would be proud of - even it it didn't kick A_S.

Although I'm sure you and the other guys spent a lot of serious head-time on this, it seemed to "just happen" when the "piggyback PCM" came on the scene. Can you elaborate on that specific equipment again, because it seemed to be the key element?

I would sincerely hope that a number of GM Engineers are tracking this project. I can just visualize them making machismo bets and giving each other high-fives and told-you-so's as the project advances. Unfortunately, because you-know-who got squelched - we may never know... :(

I am also certain you also think about the highs (dyno numbers) and lows (as in when the camshaft retaining bolts or whatever got squirrely) of this project - - - and its quite a story.

Again, nice work!

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

What about future plans to "turbo proof" the tranny? All be it, the first to second shift would be nothing but rubber splattering on your fenders through the upshift, but it would be cool to able to just boot it. Then you can be more worried about breaking a half shaft. ;)

Mark,

How did you specifically determine the engine was still running rich at power (O2 sensor) ?

Can you elaborate on that specific equipment again, because it seemed to be the key element?

I am using a wide band 02 sensor hooked up through the piggyback computer to read AFR and also the dyno had their meter hooked up.

The piggyback is an XFC from Powertrain Control Solutions.

What about future plans to "turbo proof" the tranny? All be it, the first to second shift would be nothing but rubber splattering on your fenders through the upshift, but it would be cool to able to just boot it. Then you can be more worried about breaking a half shaft. ;)

If the tranny goes I have a guy that will bullet proof it., but I would rather not go there and hopefully the tranny will last if I take care of it and not abuse it. Actually that advice could be applied to any stock engine and tranny. I think longjevity relates to how you drive it and take care of it.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

NICE YOU NEED TO POST THE PICS OF THE TURBO SET UP SO WE CAN LICK OUR CHOPS AS IF WE WERE LOOKING AT A STEAK...LOL WHERE DID YOU GET THE SET UP AND HOW MUCH DID IT COST? PLEASE SHARE THE INFO BECAUSE WE NEED TO UPGRADE OUR CADDYS TO KEEP UP WITH TO NEW CARS OUT THESE DAYS .BUT AT THE SAME TIME WE WILL BLOW THEM AWAY ON THE STREETS.LOL...LOL!!!!!!

NICE YOU NEED TO POST THE PICS OF THE TURBO SET UP SO WE CAN LICK OUR CHOPS AS IF WE WERE LOOKING AT A STEAK...LOL WHERE DID YOU GET THE SET UP AND HOW MUCH DID IT COST? PLEASE SHARE THE INFO BECAUSE WE NEED TO UPGRADE OUR CADDYS TO KEEP UP WITH TO NEW CARS OUT THESE DAYS .BUT AT THE SAME TIME WE WILL BLOW THEM AWAY ON THE STREETS.LOL...LOL!!!!!!

Mark has posted extensive photos of his project:

http://www.markonemtg.com/marks99sts/

What Mark has done would be virtually impossible to duplicate, you would need to use his mechanic, I think his name is MacGyver. My guess is that this is a $15,000 to $20,000 job with the installation time. The R&D that went into this project was $time consuming$ not to mention the high level of expertise from a team of gurus.

This job needs a little more expertise than Pep Boys can muster and we will not be installing the turbo in our driveways. :lol: One mistake and you have a pile of aluminum with oil and coolant leaking out of it.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Let't not forget that Mark had his engine time-serted also so add about $2,500 to the above range.

I think his name is MacGyver.

Thanks Mike,

Jim really is a MacGyver given the obstacles we had to overcome.

For those that are seriously interested, we have come up with a price for a full turnkey setup including tunning for $12,000. We have come to the conclusion that it can not be done in pieces or a parts kit only as it would have to be so customized for each car that it just wouldn't be feasible. Unfortunately it is that complicated and difficult. It is almost a one of a kind for each car unless it is a 98 or 99. Actually 12 grand is still cheap considering how much time and effort it will take to duplicate the current setup as all the piping has to be hand fabricated and welded.

As Mike has mentioned, this does not include timeserting which I would highly recommend given the exrtra strain on the heads from boost.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Archived