CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mixed Coolant In 99 Devile

mdelmont

I was told to use an anti coangulant antifreeze, not DEX cool, so I put One bottle in when it said low coolant. I drove one mile and the Low Coolant light was still on, so I went to the auto parts place and he said you should not have used the one I put in and said I needed to IMMEDIATELY flush the system & PRAY. I just got this car and it is sweet, help me save it. I have a kit with three bottles of differing sizes and gadget for the hose called a flush n fill kit and NO Experience ! Help.

I am here at work and don't wanna drive to far. I have a friend around the corner with a hose so I am going there it is just after the Super Bowl, and I get off at 11 pm then work the 7 am shift tomorrow. So I wanna do this tonight. I have the flush kit, some flush fluid, a few tools and determination ASSISTANCE NEEDED!!!

I was told to use an anti coangulant antifreeze, not DEX cool, so I put One bottle in when it said low coolant. I drove one mile and the Low Coolant light was still on, so I went to the auto parts place and he said you should not have used the one I put in and said I needed to IMMEDIATELY flush the system & PRAY. I just got this car and it is sweet, help me save it. I have a kit with three bottles of differing sizes and gadget for the hose called a flush n fill kit and NO Experience ! Help.

I am here at work and don't wanna drive to far. I have a friend around the corner with a hose so I am going there it is just after the Super Bowl, and I get off at 11 pm then work the 7 am shift tomorrow. So I wanna do this tonight. I have the flush kit, some flush fluid, a few tools and determination ASSISTANCE NEEDED!!!

What happened to the coolant before you added that new stuff? Leaks? Did you eliminate the source of the leaks? Do not panic, and do not listen to every "adviser". Stick with factory recommended procedures in the future. What the heck is "anticoangulant antifreeze"? Who is the manufacturer? Sounds like a medicine (blood thinner). LOL

Flush is normally not recommended, but if you want to get rid of that medicine you probably have to flush. To drain the coolant you need to disconnect the lower radiator hose. After flushing use 50/50 mix of distilled water and DexCool. Put 2-3 tubes of Bar's Leasks golden seal from Wal-Mart into the lower radiator hose before filling the system with coolant.

post-312-1139202336_thumb.jpg

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

What happened to the coolant before you added that new stuff? Leaks? Did you eliminate the source of the leaks? Do not panic, and do not listen to every "adviser". Stick with factory recommended procedures in the future. What the heck is "anticoangulant antifreeze"? Who is the manufacturer? Sounds like a medicine (blood thinner). LOL

Flush is normally not recommended, but if you want to get rid of that medicine you probably have to flush. To drain the coolant you need to disconnect the lower radiator hose. After flushing use 50/50 mix of distilled water and DexCool. Put 2-3 tubes of Bar's Leasks golden seal from Wal-Mart into the lower radiator hose before filling the system with coolant.

I live about 25 to 30 miles from work with a Walmart in route. Do I dare drive it this far? I have tools and the things I may need. I am COMPLETELY stupid when it comes to working on a car, So if my questions make me look dumb it is because I am when it comes to cars unlike computers, at which I am very good. Anyway, there is the cap near the passenger side windshield where I added the coolant. And the radiator in the front. Do I disconnect the hose somewhere under the radiator in the front and then add the flush where I added the coolant. And do I reconnect the hose at the bottom, pour in the flush, run the car for a bit than re-drain the flush? And repeat for each bottle?

Can I make to my house which is 25 miles from here?

You dont need the "flush" stuff. Its difficult to get rid of all of it once its in the system. Just drain & fill.

The mixing of the two coolants will not hurt your car. It will shorten the life of the dexcool to two years instead of 5.

Just take the lower radiator hose off and let the coolant flow out. Before you put the lower hose back on put the GM sealing tabs or the Bars Leak in the hose as adallak suggested. Then refill w/the 50/50 mix.

This may leave some of the green coolant in the system so I would plan on doing this every two years.

Just a thought but consider that your low coolant sensor is defective. You said you put in one bottle, do you mean one gallon? Unless your system was seriously low, putting in a gallon should have brought it up enough to turn off the low coolant light. You may have a big leak someplace.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

mdelmont,

If you are good at computers you may be good at cars too some day. Pay attention to the questioned asked. It may happen you do not need to do anythig. One more time...

1. what exactly has been added?

2. was the coolant low in the reservoir when you openned it?

3. did the car overheat?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Additionally, Many people panic when they open the resovour (passenger side tank)and do not see any coolant. It is normal to open and stick your finger and not feel or see any coolant. If you do see coolant or fill it up to the top, it has too much.

Archived