CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Losing Coolant

Brad

Well, my '99 Deville Concours is back at the dealer and I am awaiting word. I have a coolant leak that I haven't been able to completely trace and I am praying I don't hear the word's head gasket.

About 10,000 miles ago, I had the piston ring replacement done because of excessive oil usage. Oil usage is fixed, but now I am losing coolant. The leak is coming from underneath the engine in the front - pretty much under the water pump area. Took it to a local shop and they did a pressure test as they suspected a possible bad water pump. I then got a call from them the following day saying that it wasn't the water pump and the leak was coming from the intake manifold and they suggested I take it to the dealer. They couldn't do anymore for it because it was a Northstar.

So, here I sit.....waiting to hear the news. I will say, that if this is a result of the ring replacement, I hope the dealer will be rational and own up to any mistakes, i.e. timeserts.

Somehow, I think my luck has run out. We'll see.

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

The leak is coming from underneath the engine in the front - pretty much under the water pump area.

This doesn't sound like a head gasket problem to me (water leaking out of the engine). The classic head gasket failure allows coolant to leak into the combustion chamber where it turns to steam and goes out the tail pipe. You normally don't see coolant spilled on the ground.

Good luck.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

The leak is coming from underneath the engine in the front - pretty much under the water pump area.

This doesn't sound like a head gasket problem to me (water leaking out of the engine). The classic head gasket failure allows coolant to leak into the combustion chamber where it turns to steam and goes out the tail pipe. You normally don't see coolant spilled on the ground.

Good luck.

Thanks, for the input and I hope you are right. I really need a break at the moment! Hopefully, I hear something later today or tomorrow.

Brad

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Going on the assumption that your 99 N* is similar to my 95, I'd say it sounds like your leak is coming from the waterpump crossover housing. If it is coming from the housing no corner-shop mechanic in there right mind would want to fix it...Even WITH a service manual...I attempted it once...and it was a BEAR...so much of a bear that the manual conveniently lacks the steps necessary to R&R it :angry: ...All that is mentioned is "crossover housing" in a picture...No install/removal instructions what so ever!...Needless to say I bailed out halfway through the process. I believe growe3 successfully R&R'd his W.C.H for a coolant leak...Should be in the achieves somewhere...I'd like to hear what the dealer says/how much he's going to charge you for it...

A.J.

the leak was coming from the intake manifold and they suggested I take it to the dealer. They couldn't do anymore for it because it was a Northstar.

So, here I sit.....waiting to hear the news. I will say, that if this is a result of the ring replacement, I hope the dealer will be rational and own up to any mistakes, i.e. timeserts.

Somehow, I think my luck has run out. We'll see.

How could the intake manifold leak coolant when there are NO coolant passages in the intake???? It has to be something simple like a water pump or pump cover gasket.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Good news. The first garage I took the car to either didn't know what they were talking about or just opened the hood and saw the Northstar and said we aren't touching that.

Took the car to my usual dealer and they got the car diagnosed and put back together in a day and half with no prior appointment. That's record service around here! Anyway, turned out to be (as many of you suggested) the water pump cover gasket as the main culprit.

Had the the gasket, water pump, thermostat, etc.. replaced and the coolant topped off and am now back on the road. I believe someone asked earlier what the dealer would charge for that and I came away with a bill of $492. Not bad, not great, but the car has a new lease on life for a while.

Thank goodness it was just something normal.

Thanks to all for the helpful tips and information.

Now, it's time to prepare for the NFL championship games!

Brad

Blk/Blk w/gold package

GLad to hear it! If they did not put the coolant supplement in, I would do so, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

GLad to hear it! If they did not put the coolant supplement in, I would do so, Mike

Excellent idea - thanks for reminding me! I'll do that this weekend.

Brad

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Archived