CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

preventing the oil leak??

revolcallidac

I've not been on here long and I'm not that mechanically inclined, but after reading posts about that "oil leak" I was just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to prevent it from happening. Can we use heaver oil? Some kind of miracle prevent all? Hope you guys can help a dummy out.

There is really no way to prevent it. I see you are driving an '06. I beleive that the pan & halfcase gaskets have been redesigned so your chances of having one are lower.

Ranger's made a good point there..With an '06, you have next to no worries. No need to change the reccomended oil weight. (Never a good practice..) Hey,even my sprited driven '93 STS is a dry as a bone, and my 2000 never had any symptoms either.

Enjoy your new Cadillac!

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

My 94 dribbles on itself about a qt per 1000 miles. But only when it's moving. It never leaves a wet spot when parked..... she's good like that. I look at it as simply replenishing the old oil with new which no Northstar ever complained about.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

My 94 dribbles on itself about a qt per 1000 miles. But only when it's moving. It never leaves a wet spot when parked..... she's good like that. I look at it as simply replenishing the old oil with new which no Northstar ever complained about.

Just wanted to add that I believe my half-case is leaking...and I NEVER had any leakage problems until I started using synthetic oil...Shortly thereafter I stopped using it..Still leaks..But just a few drips here and there..Make sure the oil your using is in line with what the manufacturer suggests...

A.J.

I am glad you mentioned this about synthetic oil. Many feel that if they spend more for something its always better, so if you spend more for synthetic oil it is somehow better for your engine and you are taking care of your baby with the utmost care. BS... Synthetic oil is NOT better for NS's where synthetic oil was not the original fill from the factory. It is thinner, it will clean out nooks and crannys, it will leak more readily and in my 91 it made my #1 main bearing knock much louder. The guru used to say that we don't stress our engines enough to warrant the use of synthetic oil and that there is no real benefit to using it. It has been my contention that a good grade of 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter (assuming it gets cold in the winter months near you) is adequate. That said, I think the 2006 probably came with synthetic oil.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

da_mn, the 06 DTS's are TIGHT. I saw a black one the other day looking real sharp. I love the evolutionary design ques. Whenever I can afford something in this model year, it will be a tough choice between the DTS and STS, basically coming down to performance/drivability in winter months. I really like both of them but the DTS is particularily sharp. Good luck with it.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Are you sure it leaks that much? It might be rather (or predominantly) regular Northstar oil usage. 1 gt per 1000 miles sounds too much of leak to me.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Are you sure it leaks that much? It might be rather (or predominantly) regular Northstar oil usage. 1 gt per 1000 miles sounds too much of leak to me.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Archived