CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can't see a darn thing

Rickster

One is out. Been looking for a replacement and am more confused now than when I started. Went through the shop manual and none of the conditions leading up to bulb failure were present. Just went out. Will check conections when it stops raining. Will also pull relay before doing so. But. Started looking for replacement bulb and there seems to be a new and improved HID bulb promising 150% more light. ??? Any comments. The price seems high for a bulb. Will check auto wreaker as well. But the real questions are...What are the most powerfull lights available for my car. Low (HID) beam and high beam. I do not care if they are illeagle (sp). There are two drug houses down the street from me and the cops leave them alone. I have a 2001 STS that came with the HID option. All comments welcome.

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

wow...2001 sts's had hid as an option, that's good to know. i hear you when it comes to the withering complexity of bulb selection...a long way from putting halogen marchals in my alfa romeo when sealed beams were standard in the u.s. it could be that there isn't anything amiss with your car, maybe the bulb just had a "weak: filament or possibly a very slight imperfection on the seals. as far as replacements i would go with oem bulbs and stay away from aftermarket stuff. jackg 90seville 99k

Consumer reports did a test of replacement auto headlight bulbs and found expensive aftermarket bulbs did not improve performance of the headlights, because the lens and reflector in the car controlled headlight performance. Changing to expensive bulbs did not make any measurable difference. The very expensive bulbs did not perform better than stock or cheap aftermarket.

Have you tried buying some really powerful (100w) halogen driving lamps and bolting them to the bumper (Cibie Iode, or some other european driving lamps) ?

One is out. Been looking for a replacement and am more confused now than when I started. Went through the shop manual and none of the conditions leading up to bulb failure were present. Just went out. Will check conections when it stops raining. Will also pull relay before doing so. But. Started looking for replacement bulb and there seems to be a new and improved HID bulb promising 150% more light. ??? Any comments. The price seems high for a bulb. Will check auto wreaker as well. But the real questions are...What are the most powerfull lights available for my car. Low (HID) beam and high beam. I do not care if they are illeagle (sp). There are two drug houses down the street from me and the cops leave them alone. I have a 2001 STS that came with the HID option. All comments welcome.

Rick

I don't think I ever could bolt any thing to my bumper but thanks for the tip anyway. If I recall correctly, these new bulbs are from the 2005 STS SRX models??

Not raining today. Will try to take a look at conections later.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

D1s or D2s 4300K HID bulb is the replacement for your low beam bulb. I have got them on Ebay for appx $100 or less.

I put the HIR 9005 bulbs in the high beam and are very pleased with the additional light.

Here is one link, although they may be available other places as well.

http://www.offroadtuff.com/IPFbulbs.htm

D1s or D2s 4300K HID bulb is the replacement for your low beam bulb. I have got them on Ebay for appx $100 or less.

I put the HIR 9005 bulbs in the high beam and are very pleased with the additional light.

Here is one link, although they may be available other places as well.

http://www.offroadtuff.com/IPFbulbs.htm

Thanks Bill. I will look into the e-bay info. Quick question. Is the whole dinasaur eye bulb thingy the bulb or does something slip into it from the back. I have not taken one apart as of yet. As well, what is he difference between D1 and D2.

Thanks

Rick

By the way, I like what you have done with the lights behind the grill. Tell me more about it. PM me if you like or print it here for others to hear.

This test was on our forum before, but I think it got lost thanks to that famous hacker :angry:

CR did a very interesting test of aftermarket "white" headlights, comparing them to OE halogen bulbs on three test vehicles (a Sebring, a Ridgeline, and a Camry). They tested subjective appearance of the lights, the furthest distance a panel of reviewers could see from the vehicles (in 50' increments), and actual light output from the bulbs.

The lights tested:

OE

APC Plasma Ultra White

GE Nighthawk

Philips Crystal Vision

Sylvania Silverstar

Wagner Truview

Only the GE Nighthawk improved low-beam visibility distance, and only in the Ridgeline. It actually DECREASED the distance in the Camry. In the objective test (light output), none of the bulbs scored consistently better than the OE bulbs. The two bulbs that scored slightly better than the other aftermarket bulbs were the GE Nighthawk and the APC Plasma Ultra White.

It said that, subjectively, all the bulbs provided a whiter light than the OE halogens.

The popular Sylvania Silverstar, in the "furthest visible distance" test, reduced the distance by 100' in the Sebring, equalled the distance in the Ridgeline, and reduced the distance by 100' in the Camry.

They point out that the actual design of the light reflector/housing has much more to do with the headlights' performance than does the actual bulb. They also point out that many of the lights they tested claims reduced service life, and in practice, perform the same or worse than the OE bulbs. In short, they don't see the return on investment considering the higher costs, the shorter life, and performance not exceeding the OE bulbs.

The d1r/s bulbs have a square base that is a built in igniter. The d2r/s bulbs have a smaller round base that a plug goes over the bulb. Your manual should tell which bulb.

I'm not sure what kind you have but you should be able to see the difference. The R & S refer to the shielding or lack of, on the bulb. Bulbs like you have that go in a projector light have no shielding. The bulb is accessed from the rear on the light housing. The "fish eye" you see is the projector lense.

To mount the driving lights I used two pieces of perforated angle steel stock. Available at hdwr or home stores. I used four bolts through the angle stock to "sandwich" the hood latch brace between the two pieces of angle stock. I then had a mounting surface for the driving lights. There isnt a lot of room so you need to use thin lights like KC ThinLites or PIAA 580 or the smaller 510. KC daylighters or similar lights are too deep/thick to fit.

I didnt bother with a switch. I just ran the wire from the relay, of the driving lights wiring harness, to the high beam headlight wire so they just come on when the high beams are on.

so these headlight bulbs are not HID? right? I believe they are just halogen bulbs. I suppose the fact that they cost $25 means that mercedes/bmw kits that cost $500 or more are just over priced? I don't think GM even offers real HID lights on any car.

so these headlight bulbs are not HID? right? I believe they are just halogen bulbs. I suppose the fact that they cost $25 means that mercedes/bmw kits that cost $500 or more are just over priced? I don't think GM even offers real HID lights on any car.

No, they are HID. Not halogen. That is the low beams. The hign beams are HIR which is also different from halogen. Dodge Vipers use HIR bulbs.

GM offers HID in a number of their makes & models.

what a bunch of baloney.

the lights are not HID.

oh they "truly compare to HID". thats what the ad says. it must be true.

like i compare myself to superman. I am not his equal but i compare myself to him.

they have a special coating that reflects the infrared light back and superheats the filament.

the next line says it runs cooler than standard halogen lights.

hmm, i wonder where the excess heat from the "superheated" filament goes?

oh yeah, it shines back out onto the roadway.

this goes right along the junk on the shelf like the "air intake tornado" and cow magnets.

I beleive they are a wee bit more than $25. The halogens may be $25 but the others are way more than that. I will find out today. I will stop at the dealer for a price.

joeb, the links I put up are for the HIR bulbs are for the HighBeams. I have them and can guarantee you that they are MUCH brighter than the usual 100 watt bulbs I had in my high beams previously.

I have them and therefore feel qualified to give you my opinion. they are very bright bulbs.

The HID bulbs I am referring to are for the Cad. HID LowBeams. There is a difference.

Perhaps you should reread this thread.

HIR is a real technology that gives brighter bulbs for the same power as standard halogens, and about the same life expectancy.

HIR

They are not HID's and they do run off standard wiring, no ballast required. They are far brighter than standard halogens, especially the blue tinted rubbish. HIR's are not cheap, but I've seen blue bulbs that cost more.

Had time to look for a HID bulb today. Gotta go to the bank and arrange financing tommorow. Hopeing for a three year term at around 6%. Gad these things are pricey. Quote from dealer, $560. Plus tax. For one. Not installed.

I haven't poped the cover off yet to see. Gave dealer VIN and that was the price he gave me. I'm guessing the one with the square thingy on the back.

What am I missing here, is this a bulb for $560 or a sealed low/high beam light assembly, help me to understand this HID stuff and why its so expensive. When did they start using this HID and was it an option? Thanks

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yup. Thats just the bulb. Pricey little buggers. If I had my druthers, I would not opt for this option. I don't find the light from these all that great to justify the cost. I beleive for me to change back to HIR or something more mainstream, it would cost me much more. I will keep looking for a replacment at a cost I can afford.

Check some of the links in some of the posts on this thread for some info on HID.

This was an option on my STS in 2001

Thanks Bill

What kind do you need?

Canadian Dollar kind. $560 plus tax. LOL

BodybyFisher Posted Today, 08:54 AM

What am I missing here, is this a bulb for $560 or a sealed low/high beam light assembly, help me to understand this HID stuff and why its so expensive. When did they start using this HID and was it an option? Thanks

Basically a HID (High Intensity Discharge) is a plasma bulb that has a arc between two electrodes in a enclosed gas bulb. They are brighter, whiter and require less current than their Halogen counter parts and they last longer. They were optional on the 2001 STS. I have them and like them but @ $560.00 a pop .... ouch!

I think what I'm going to invest in is a set of those headlight protectors for my STS.

Jim

Thought I would try my favorite body shop today to see if my guy had an inside angle to these HID buggers. Told him the price and he said no way. Looked it up in his estmate/repair manual....$615. He cried, I cried. I left. No closer to a deal. Still watching e-bay.

Archived