CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Another shopping question...

chazglenn3

The last couple of cars I looked at online both had what appeared to be the engine paint bubbled and burned off on the drivers side front cylinder bank. Is this a normal occurance on the 98-99 Seville? :blink:

Charles

Charles

I'm told the silver colored engine parts are magnesium castings with some kind of coating to give them their silver color. It is pretty common for this coating to come loose in time and form blister-like bubbles. I know my '94 has a bad case of it. It makes the engine look cruddy no matter how clean you get it. I've asked about this in the past and, unfortunately, I've found no easy fix.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I'd say no, it is not normal and MAY be a sign of overheating. I say this because I have a 1999 STS that has been driven pretty hard, with 70,000+ miles on it, never overheated while in my possesion, which has NO sign of bubbling of any engine finish. I just went to the garage to check, the area around the dipstick is where I looked. Mostly I can see only the valve cover, not the block, and the finish appears to be as factory applied. Now, keep in mind, I live and purchased this car in southern Ohio, not Las Vegas, Texas, Or Florida, and the temps remain pretty "temporate" here year 'round. I have taken it to FLA 4 times, 3 times in March and once in July (96 degrees - 96% humidity)!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Thanks, Johnny...I'm still concerned about those cars. I'll keep looking!

Charles

I wouldn't rule the car out because of a little paint bubbling on the cam covers....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It's done that on mine also...just a little bit on the front cam cover. I would not say it's a sign of overheating. Like KHE, I wouldn't think twice about that at all.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Okay...I'll just check over the cars that show this a bit closer to make sure the head gaskets are in good shape. I know the number of head gasket failures are low given the number of N*'s produced, but the cost of repair makes me nervous. I got lucky with my previous '96 STS. I think I will try to focus my efforts on 2000+ cars, as I understand the head bolts are longer. Since I am trying to keep cost low, I am looking at the higher mileage cars, which also makes the expensive suspension parts a concern.

Charles

Charles

Since I am trying to keep cost low, I am looking at the higher mileage cars, which also makes the expensive suspension parts a concern.

Charles

Suspension parts do not have to be expensive.

There are several aftermarket strut makers offering non-electronic struts that will bolt in place. Satisfying the ride control module continuous test sequence is easily accomplished.

There is value in "high mileage" Northstar powered cars IF you can be certain the cooling system has been maintained on schedule.

Good luck with it....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

In addition, not ALL FWD Cadillacs have active suspensions. For example, in 1997, the base Eldorados have passive struts. In addition, the base DeVille and DeVille d'Elegance cars also have passive struts. I do think all Sevilles, starting in 1996 or 1997, have active struts. I don't know about the DeVilles in 2000 and beyond -- whether the base or DHS models have active dampers. I'm sure the DTS cars do.

In addition, not ALL FWD Cadillacs have active suspensions. For example, in 1997, the base Eldorados have passive struts.

Jason,

For my future reference, do you know if it is the 1997 and later base Eldos that have passive struts or just the 1997's? I know my 1994 base Eldo has electronic struts all around. I plan to upgrade to about a 1999 Eldo at some point and the active/passive suspension issue would be a major factor in judging the costs of these cars.

Thanks

photo-36.jpg

I know about the aftermarket passive struts, but the active suspension is one of the items that I like on the Seville, so I would like to keep the system operational. I have seen prices as low as $6500 for a 1998 STS with 150K on the odometer, but that still seems a little high to me.

Charles

Charles

I know about the aftermarket passive struts, but the active suspension is one of the items that I like on the Seville, so I would like to keep the system operational. I have seen prices as low as $6500 for a 1998 STS with 150K on the odometer, but that still seems a little high to me.

Charles

That is horribly high...I looked at a '97 Sedan DeVille with 61,000 on the odometer a couple of months ago at a local used car lot and he was asking $7000. I could have bought it for $6500 or less....would've, could've, should've.... :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

For my future reference, do you know if it is the 1997 and later base Eldos that have passive struts or just the 1997's? I know my 1994 base Eldo has electronic struts all around. I plan to upgrade to about a 1999 Eldo at some point and the active/passive suspension issue would be a major factor in judging the costs of these cars.

Poobah, I understand that in 1997, because the body structure had additional braces and rigidity over previous models, they could install passive dampers that were stiffer than the previous active dampers' strongest setting -- and still maintain a compliant ride (due to the increased structure integrity).

I'm making an assumption that this scenario lasted through each model while it was on the E/K platform, which is 1999 for the DeVilles and 2002 for the Eldorados. My 1997 media reference book indicates that the Touring versions of the three cars (STS, ETC, and DeVille Concours) retained the active suspension, but the "lesser" models received passive dampers. For some reason, the SLS is the anomoly -- it got the full ICCS in 1997, though not the full blown StabiliTrak like the STS/ETC/Concours had. I don't know why they chose the SLS as the only "base" car to have active suspension, especially since they didn't go all the way and include the StabiliTrak software.

Regardless, I would ASSume that the base Eldorado, or whenever it picked up the "ESC" label, will have passive dampers anytime after (and including) 1997, but I may be incorrect on that. I would just fail to see the logic for Cadillac to install passive dampers on the '97 Eldorado, and then move BACK to active dampers later on...I'd think they would retain the passive dampers on the Eldorado/ESC through 2002.

Charles

That is horribly high...I looked at a '97 Sedan DeVille with 61,000 on the odometer a couple of months ago at a local used car lot and he was asking $7000. I could have bought it for $6500 or less....would've, could've, should've.... :lol:

You should see the prices here in the NW. I stopped at a local lot yesterday to look at a 1998 STS with no heated seat package and no CD changer (and a wet trunk) with 105K on it and the price was $12,999. I have given up on the idea of buying local (I work for an airline and can go get a car anywhere). The best prices seem to be in the Texas or Southern California markets. Where are you located?

Charles

Charles

Charles

You should see the prices here in the NW. I stopped at a local lot yesterday to look at a 1998 STS with no heated seat package and no CD changer (and a wet trunk) with 105K on it and the price was $12,999. I have given up on the idea of buying local (I work for an airline and can go get a car anywhere). The best prices seem to be in the Texas or Southern California markets. Where are you located?

Charles

I am in Western Michigan. Most of the used cars are overpriced (many of the private sellers are asking full dealer retail or not deducting for high mileage, etc.) but ocasionally, a good deal will turn up. The key is not to be in a rush to buy a car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Agreed. I missed out on the 2000 SLS with the navigation package. It was in So. California and the asking price was $7990. It sold the other day before I could get down there to take a look. I hope to buy a car by this spring.

Charles

Charles

Jason,

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I knew the Eldo body got stiffened somewhere along the line but I wasn't aware that it translated into a different strut set-up. Interesting how all the car's components are interrelated! ;)

photo-36.jpg

For my future reference, do you know if it is the 1997 and later base Eldos that have passive struts or just the 1997's? ... I plan to upgrade to about a 1999 Eldo at some point and the active/passive suspension issue would be a major factor in judging the costs of these cars.

I'm making an assumption that this scenario lasted through each model while it was on the E/K platform, which is 1999 for the DeVilles and 2002 for the Eldorados. My 1997 media reference book indicates that the Touring versions of the three cars (STS, ETC, and DeVille Concours) retained the active suspension, but the "lesser" models received passive dampers. For some reason, the SLS is the anomoly -- it got the full ICCS in 1997, though not the full blown StabiliTrak like the STS/ETC/Concours had. I don't know why they chose the SLS as the only "base" car to have active suspension, especially since they didn't go all the way and include the StabiliTrak software.

Regardless, I would ASSume that the base Eldorado, or whenever it picked up the "ESC" label, will have passive dampers anytime after (and including) 1997, but I may be incorrect on that. I would just fail to see the logic for Cadillac to install passive dampers on the '97 Eldorado, and then move BACK to active dampers later on...

...I'd think they would retain the passive dampers on the Eldorado/ESC through 2002.

The used car dealership called me back on a 2000 Eldo I looked at on Saturday.

It was not listed on the sticker, so I asked. They had no clue if the car had Stabilitrak

or not, so they said they'd find out!!! He said it does have Stabilitrak. For what it is worth...

Good luck on the new car, take your time, you'll know when the right one comes along...

Archived