CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coming Back to Cadillac

chazglenn3

Hello everyone! I decided to sell my 1996 STS about 6 months ago due to the intermittent "Service Transmission Soon" message I was getting. I thought it would be wiser to sell before that darn sensor failed completely (the $25 part $2000 deep in the tranny). Well, of course I have never gotten over the feeling of dread at selling it and remorse at not having it, so I am planning to buy a newer car, somewhere in the 1998-2000 year range. I may have found a good deal on a 2000 SLS. I know how to check the codes on a '96...what is the procedure for a newer car?

Charles

Great...thanks Don! How do you like the 2002 SLS? I was a STS owner and was convinced that I needed another STS, but the car I am considering going to take a look at is an SLS with the wood package.

Charles

Charles

Charles,

I just bought my '02 SLS in Oct and I love it. Having gone from a Deville I wish it where a bit bigger but, there is no comparison. I have never driven an STS but I think you'll find the SLS to get better milage, have more low end torque and have a softer ride, all of which are why I went for the SLS. I also have the Zebrano wood package and think it really adds a luxurious touch.

Thanks, Larry! The more research I do, the more I am convinced that I don't HAVE to own the STS. The SLS I am considering also has the navigation system...and I have NO information on that. Do you know if that included the Bose 4.0 stereo system? Also, are the CD-ROM's still available to update the database?

Charles

Charles

Charles, consider downloading a PDF copy of your owner's manual here and search through it with Adobe Acrobat, THERE IS ACTUALLY A SEPARATE MANUAL FOR THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM! Mike

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/resources-cad.html#om

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks, Larry! The more research I do, the more I am convinced that I don't HAVE to own the STS. The SLS I am considering also has the navigation system...and I have NO information on that. Do you know if that included the Bose 4.0 stereo system? Also, are the CD-ROM's still available to update the database?

Charles

I do not have, need, nor want the Nav system so I don't know a thing about it, sorry. I do not believe mine has the Bose radio but with 10 speakers, it sounds great.

Charles

If I understand your question correctly... Yes both the CD Radio and the DVD Nav system use Bose speakers. The NAV database in '02 and after is DVD based. Updated ones are available annually at your dealer for $$$$ a lot cheaper on eBay!...

The NAV system will also play Movies! a cool feature! IMO..

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Thanks for the input, Greg! The DVD-based system sounds nice. I saw a couple of the CD's on eBay and a few of the DVD's as well. I assume the movies will only play if the car is parked...

Charles

Charles

Officially yes only when parked.... But the system can be hacked... Here's how...

Once the car is running on the left side of unit press and hold the button that looks like a " musical note"

for about 3 seconds... when the number pad "code" screen appears. Key in 1791 and hit ENTER. Remove your NAV DVD and insert a DVD movie... And the car will play movies in Drive, Reverse... etc...

A couple of things..

1) Watching DVDs while you drive is dangerous, stupid and illegal in most (all?) parts of North America.

2) I've never done this, I've only heard about it.

3) The system forgets about this "Hack" at key off... you need to do it each time you start the car.

But having said that if I had this option I would use it for Monster's Inc... Or Charley and the Choc Factory for the nose pickers in the back seat!... Since your car already has it... Nothing is cooler than a free DVD player!

Enjoy!

Greg

caddy.jpg

Greg

the nose pickers in the back seat!...

:lol::lol::lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Right you are... Sorry about that...

Ranger has the '02... '01 and earlier have the CD system... Smaller screen and require you to have about 15 disks for all of North America and Canada. By the way, this is a very rare option! Especially on an SLS.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Yeah, that is one of the reasons that I am thinking about buying this car. The navigation system on these cars appears to be VERY rare, and this car comes with all of the CD's. The car also has the wood steering wheel and shift knob, and chrome wheels. Someone checked a lot of boxes on the order form for this SLS. I believe the only option that isn't on the car is the moonroof...go figure.

Charles

Charles

On the plus side... No roof is one less place for the trunk to leak! :lol::lol:

On the CD based NAV systems, at least on the ones they exported to Japan, they had a little door inside the glove box (on the left hand side) which hid a set of RCA style jacks to hook up a GameBoy or other external video souce... You still might be able to play movies...

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived