CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

K&N

BodybyFisher

Oil can contaminate the MAF.

Here is a Saturn bulletin. Oil damage but for a different reason....

Mass Air Flow Sensor Failure Due to Oil Contamination of Sensor Membrane (Install New Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor and Update ECM Calibration)

2000 - 2002 Saturn L Series vehicles equipped with V6 (L81) engines

Condition

Some customers may comment that the SERVICE ENGINE SOON (SES) telltale is illuminated. The vehicle may have DTC(s) P0171/P0174 and/or any MAF sensor or O2 Sensor DTC(s) stored in the ECM memory.

Cause

After the vehicle is shut off, the ECM stays active for a certain period of time before shutting down. During the period of time when the ECM is active, voltage is applied to the MAF sensor. As long as voltage is being applied, heat and air flow will be generated at the MAF sensor. This heat will cause oil particles in the air to adhere to the sensor membrane causing premature failure of the sensor.

Correction

To correct this condition refer to the Engine/Emission Controls section of the appropriate model year L-Series L81 Engine Service Manual and follow diagnostic for the applicable DTCs. If it is determined that the MAF sensor is at fault, replace the MAF sensor and refer to the following procedure in this bulletin to determine if an updated calibration is required.

Important

Before installing new ECM calibration, make sure the Service Stall System (SSS) version is 10.5 or greater.

Procedure

Connect scan tool to the vehicle.

Navigate to the 3.0L (VIN R) Powertrain Menu.

Select ID INFORMATION.

Select ENGINE INFORMATION.

Read ECM CALIBRATION ID.

2000 Model Year Vehicles

If ECM calibration ID number is 610601, 610602, 620101, 620102, 640104, 640301, 640704, or 640901, reprogram the ECM with the latest 2000 model year calibration. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in the Saturn Service Stall System (SSS)/TECH 2 User Guide for reprogramming procedures.

If ECM calibration ID number is not 610601, 610602, 620101, 620102, 640104, 640301, 640704, or 640901, do not reprogram the ECM. The correct calibration is already installed and reprogramming is not required.

2001 Model Year Vehicles

If ECM calibration ID number is 630102, 740104, 740302, 740704, or 740901, reprogram the ECM with the latest 2001 model year calibration. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in the Saturn Service Stall System (SSS)/TECH 2 User Guide for reprogramming procedures.

If ECM calibration ID number is not 630102, 740104, 740302, 740704, or 740901, do not reprogram the ECM. The correct calibration is already installed and reprogramming is not required.

2002 Model Year Vehicles

If ECM calibration ID number is 840601, 840704, or 840901, reprogram the ECM with the latest 2002 model year calibration. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in the Saturn Service Stall System (SSS)/TECH 2 User Guide for reprogramming procedures.

If ECM calibration ID number is not 840601, 840704, or 840901, do not reprogram the ECM. The correct calibration is already installed and reprogramming is not required.

Claim Information

To receive credit for this repair during the warranty coverage period, submit a claim through the Saturn Dealer System for J6532 (Sensor, Mass Airflow - R&R or Replace) and if required, J6355 (EE PROM-Reprogramming), or if another procedure is performed, refer to the appropriate Electronic Labor Time Guide for the correct Labor Operation Code and Time. When another procedure is performed that requires EE Prom Reprogramming, J6355 must be claimed as a Related Line to that Repair.

If the guy had it "tuned" without a dyno, then he was just asking for trouble. Once you mod a car you should accept full responsibility. I will have to change my MAF when we start my turbo project next week as I am pushing the max on the frequency right now at WOT. I will probably go with one from a LS-6. We will have to go back to the dyno to retune to get a baseline for my fuel trim with the new MAF before we put the turbo on. A lean AFR under boost is NOT a good thing at WOT. I'm going with larger injectors, customized fuel rail and higher capacity fuel pump along with an adjustable FPR. I certainly don't want to run out of fuel and go lean.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

It might help to support your assertion by providing some data (scan tool and accurate wide-band air-fuel measurements) from a variety of operating conditions.

Ya, wait while I go buy a scan tool and do a bunch of tests so I can "support my assertion".

From other posts I have read on other sites a dirty MAF causes driveability issues. IE rough running, poor idle, mileage loss. I have experianced none of these on any of the vehs. I am useing a K & N on. Thats all I can tell you.

If you have had other experiances please tell us.

What I stated has been my experiance. Take it or leave it.

All you K&N lovers continue using it, that was not the point here.

Discussing the virtues of the K&N filter was not the intent of this thread. We already know that it allows too much dirt into the intake Period, and the CTS owner confirmed that his was dirty from the K&N.

However, in the CTS-V's blown engine case the dirty MAF MAY have contributed to the engine leaning out the A/F ratio beyond the RPM limit potentially causing destructive detonation.

KevinW said:

Another factor is that oil contamination of a MAF, from a 'factory' oiled K&N, will decrease the PCM's perceived airflow in many cases. This has the effect of enleaning the WOT fuel mixture, which would be 'double trouble' in the event a PCM 'tuner' had also changed the fuel calibration to be leaner under these conditions

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived