CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM Bankruptcy??

WarrenJ

I shared facts and experiences and expressed my opnion.

One of the scotty rule is no negative opnions.

Do you want to make a list of what we can and cannot say about Cadillac's ?

Listen, on your 31st post, you should be more humble, not a Cadillac basher.

I rarely see my friend Kevin (KHE) get riled up, but you were able to do that because of your narrow minded unsupported statements. You want to attack first without an open mind and that's a shame.

You hate Cadillac, please sell them now.

GM's problems are a result of the UAW and retirement and health benefits, not Cadillac and the Northstar. Cadillac and GM are the best in the world.

This is not a complaint board, this is a help and information board occupied mainly by Cadillac aficionados, that is why you are getting resistence, complaints are handled at a different IP address, see if you can find it.

Go back and read about your wonderful LEXUS and maybe you will get some humility.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel Cadillacs are JUNK and cannot compete in the world market.

That is your opinion... I disagree - if they were truely junk, Cadillac would not have received the JD Powers and Associates award for best initial quality. The Cadillac assembly plants also would not have received the JD Powers award for productivity and quality. The JD Powers award is a very stringent, independent evaluation.

I don't understand why you are so upset that a seven year old car required a master cylinder and that installed, it only cost you fifty-bucks! The leaking oil you describe was most likely an oil filter adapter o-ring that could have been replaced very inexpensively.

My '86 Park Avenue needed a front brake caliper a week ago - it has 203,000 miles on it and is 20 years old - I guess it's junk too... laugh.gif

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Charlie,

It's ok if you want to buy a Lexus as your next vehicle. It's apparent that you are dissappointed in Cadillac's "quality". So perhaps it's all for the best. I just hope your not too dissappointed with Lexus when it starts suffering from similiar problems. I know a few Lexus owners and I can tell you this much, they don't have fewer problems than any other car maker.

Honestly I have a hard time relating to all this "disappointment" in GM though. My last GM vehicle was a 1990 Bonneville SSE which ran like a champ and I sold it with 216,000 miles on her. Last I heard she's still running....amazing eh? My current 94 sts has 220,000 miles and runs like a champ as well. Can you believe I still have many original parts? Even the struts are original and they're still fine. I had them checked a couple weeks ago. My father is on his 3rd full size Suburban. Ist Suburban was sold with over 300,000 miles on it. The 2nd one had just over 250,000 miles and was sold. The 3rd and current one has over 140,000 miles on it. This summer my folks are driving to Alaska and will be pulling a 24ft travel trailer. None of the above mentioned GM vehicles ever suffered a major engine problem. It appears to me that if you drove your cars more often then perhaps they would suffer....less? Just a thought. Because the last time i checked cars that run last longer then cars that sit. Good luck.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I wouldn't care if a brand new LEXUS came with Pamela Anderson in the passenger seat, I would still own a Cadillac.

Scotty,

I realize Lexus is junk, but what is wrong with Pamela? biggrin.gif

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I wouldn't care if a brand new LEXUS came with Pamela Anderson in the passenger seat, I would still own a Cadillac.

Scotty,

I realize Lexus is junk, but what is wrong with Pamela? biggrin.gif

OK you caught me in a lie! I would grin and bare it!!!! laugh.gif

Well this has been fun, time to drive the Caddy to Golds Gym and run a few miles, night guys, its been fun!

The full moon was two nights ago? laugh.gif

My '86 Park Avenue needed a front brake caliper a week ago - it has 203,000 miles on it and is 20 years old - I guess it's junk too... laugh.gif

Time to junk that POS, Kevin! laugh.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif I put my Fleetwood in storage last Saturday as accumulating snow was in the weather forcast for this week and it hit Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning.

The old Buick is starting to get some rust but the interior is absolutely perfect and mechanically, it is solid as a rock. I do miss driving the Fleetwood though...April is right around the corner and it's always like getting a brand new car when I get the Fleetwood out of storage. biggrin.gif

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I do that and got some good advice on the front brakes and rotors that i forgot to mention on wifes 1999.

Have Gm major guard on wifes 1999 good until 2008. $50.00 deductable.

The DTS id good until 2011 zero deductable.

Would not have two caddys sitting in heated garage along with 1989 Riviera 275k on it if i did not like them.

Besides have a good size position in GM stock.

Good Night.

Glan got some response. and rattled some cages.

Charlie

GM will soon be replaced as the number one auto maker.

What does that tell you???

PEOPLE ARE NOT BUYING THEIR CARS (da)

It tells me that the general population can no longer think for themselves - they take what ever the news media and the biased car rags say as gospel.

I laughed the other day when I say some Toyota ad bragging about one of their $hit-boxes that had wipers that came on automatically when it rained. I remarked to my wife that Cadillac has had that for 10 years but watch how the car-rags fawn all over it like Toyota invented it. The public will fall for it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That must be fun taking it out in April, you must really appreciate it then. I have only been involved with one Fleetwood, a 1955 our first, what a beauty that was.

I always look forward to getting the Fleetwood out of winter storage. The '93-'96 Fleetwoods were awesome cars - you can be driving 90 MPH and not even realize you're going that fast until you glance at the speedometer... It is too bad that GM abandoned that car.

Originally, the Fleetwood was an upscale DeVille but from 1985 - 1996, it was a totally different car - full size, RWD, etc.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

WOW

what a fun post to read. I myself have always owned GM vehicles, From my first GMS Sonoma, to the Caddy im drivin today, (and quite a few in between). I have only owned 3 used vehicles , the rest were all brand new. In my OPINION, I dont think id ever buy another new vehicle, they arent worth it, drive it off the lot and there goes five grand in depreciation right off the bat, also in 1999, I bought a 99 silverado, fully loaded, and had nothing but problems with it, I had it maybe a total of three months, got rid of it and bought a two year old Yukon, no problems at all.

One thing to keep in mind here in this post, opinions are like a**holes, everyones got one, and i do agree that bashing the Cadillac brand here is like pourin gas on a fire, do it and run like hell biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

In closing THE BEST Cadillac's I owned.

1969 Coupe Deville. Palmeto Green. Cloath Interior Back Vinyl roof.

1974 Coupe Deville Chestnut Brown Leather Saddle interior Half vinyl roof.

Of course they were 12mpg cars.

Most fun 1967 Plymouth GTX 440 Torqueflite.

Enough said about our 1999 SLS and 2001 DTS.

Love the 1989 Riviera.

Charlie

Forgiveness not necessary for saying what you believe.

" frankly Charlotte I don't give a damm".

MY two Cadillacs have not lived up to my expectation. (MY opnion on my cars)

Others love theirs and I respect that!

They can brag all they want!

Probably the most excitement this board has had in a long time..(SOMEONE EXPRESSING A OPNION THAT HAPPENS TO BE NEGATIVE)

Yes the truth may hurt or give you something to think about.

IF GM WAS SO GREAT IT WOULD BE REFLECTED IN THEIR SALES... STOCK closed at 24.05.

Charlie

Not to beat a dead horse BUT:

I think you have totally missed the point.

You said this:

Forgiveness not necessary for saying what you believe.

My Response:

No one here will ever criticize you for stating what you believe. I have at times made statements that were totally off base and been slapped down, I pick myself up and move on, no big deal. But its the negative unfounded attacking GM statements that are wrong.

You said you had the case half leak repair done to fix 'a few drops of oil on garage floor'. Did you push this repair or did the dealer push the repair? Was this a GM warranty or an aftermarket warranty? You see, I do not believe that, a few drops of oil on garage floor, warrants a case half leak repair. Its like removing your finger because of a hang nail. But you have a warranty and you have the potential to make the dealer some money at GM's expense or someone elses, all for a FEW DROPS OF OIL. I think the dealers screw GM for the repair to generate income. At the same time I think that the dealers screw up GM's reputation. Did the few drops of oil on garage floor really bother you? That repair costs about $2,200, they pull the engine apart to insert a $30 gasket and to seal the block halfs. What a waste! BUT what a money maker for the dealer! I am sure they exaggerated THE BIG BAD FEW DROPS on the garage floor to the regional manager. I wouldn't be surprised if the individual that gives the green light for the repair is involved in the defrauding process. In my humble opinion your engine has now been compromised by this repair, unless of course you have a very good mechanic, even still, its a risky repair. Do a search, we have a member who had the pistons replaced and the mechanic neglected to tighted the rod cap bolts and a rod went throught the side of the engine! Me, I would put up with A FEW DROPS on the garage floor. Its compromised because NOW, your main and rod bearings have been disturbed. I assume your main and rod bearings were replaced as the crush needs to be maintained. All because of a few drops of oil. If you came to this board, I think a lot of us would have said, forget the case half leak, but you paid nothing probably and feel somehow violated and this FEEDS your dislike of your car. If you top off your oil, you will leak more oil, if you leak a little oil, don't top off.

Do you see how a dealers actions can hurt GM's reputation and sour you to your car, if they force unnecessary repairs 'for a few drops'? I have said for years that the DEALERS are GM's major problem that needs to be fixed!

Northstars are GREAT engines, its been voted one of the top ten engines in the world, they tend to leak a little oil, BUT there are SO many places that they CAN leak oil, OIL COOLER LINES, CAM COVERS, Oil Filter Adapter, Oil Pan, they can leak, but the case half leak has been blamed when it it something else.

Initially rated at 295 horsepower, the Northstar V8 has been ranked as one of the "10 Best Engines in North America" by Ward's Auto World. It also beat out both Mercedes-Benz and BMW in horsepower per liter of displacement, fuel economy and required maintenance. See this: http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us100232.htm

You say a well cared for car.

Master cylinder >> you don't drive your car enough, rubber drys out, cracks, shrinks. This is a VERY unusual repair, I have a 96 and it has not been needed.

Squeak in rear...Replace sway bar bushings. Oh this is a biggie, I just did mine on my 96 (one year older than yours), the parts? About $25. Again, your car is NINE model years old, NINE.... rubber drys out, cracks, becomes brittle, is affected by heat, cold and UV rays and 40,000 miles or not, rubber needs replacing.

What I am saying is that, all cars need repairs, and I don't think the dealer has helped you like your car. Furthermore, your service manager driving the Lexus should be fired since it seems to be so influencial to you especially if he made any negative statements. BUT by implication alone by owning a LEXUS, he should be straightened out! Why would he drive a Lexus? You know there are a lot of people working at the dealers that poorly represent GM and hurt GM's image. Your postings have made this obvious to me but again.

I go to a local Cadillac dealer to buy my parts. Right next to the parts department is the major surgery department (case half leak repairs, head gaskets etc). The hot shot mechanic that works in that department constantly bad mouths the northstar and cadillac. This job is his bread and butter. I called the general manager and informed him of the problem. I said, 1) the major surgery department should NOT be next to the parts department and 2) the mechanic that works in that department is a malcontent that bad mouths the Northstars. I said that this arrangement can and probably HURTS sales, something near and dear to his heart. Now he can't do much about the malcontent as he is union I am sure, but he is building a new building to move the major surgery department to to get these repairs and the malcontent away from the general public.

I said before, TRY to have an open mind about stuff. We are hear to help you, but if you come in here and spit on the floor and kick us in the balls, its not easy to want to help.

Ok once again

GM major guard on both vehicles

1999 $50.00 Deductable

2001 zero Deductable.

1. Case leak

2. Rack leak

3. Master cylinder.

THese are facts I was under the car. NEVER PUSH FOR UNNECESSARY REPAIRS ON ANY CAR!

No one pushed anyone.

DO NOT WANT OIL ON MY FLOOR FROM ANY CAR!

Car should be dry just like my 1989 Riviera with a bullet proof 3800 motor.

That is a better motor than my NORTHSTARS.

Lets chat about the 2001 DTS for a moment.

3 SAFETY recalls. before I had the car 6 months

In addition

Rack replaced within one year.

Caliber leaking

Heated seats not working

Numerious messages on DIC

Bose radio replaced witin two years.

Front end vibration

I can get my book and go on and on

Trust me do not want to open up a can of worms .

Dealer offered to put new rings in the DTS. NO WAY WOULD I OPEN my MOTOR. Unless necessary (Just add OIL)

THIS IS "THE STANDARD OF THE WORLD???"

I was one of those Baby Boomers who left Cadillac many years ago and came back to "JUNK".

You guys are more forgiving about your Cadillac's than I am...That's fine but they are loosing market share. (fact)

GM will RIP unless they get the message.

Lets see if "no one here will critize me for stating what i believe"

If I were to get Both books and list the NECESSARY work on the Cadillac's from the day they were purchased new I would be here all afternoon.

Would not bother as most here are closed minded.

Have received help from this board.

Just wanted to Share my experiences.

When is someone going to get a clue?

China will buy 70 Boeing 737 airliners, a U.S. official said Saturday as President Bush arrived on a visit expected to include discussion of Beijing's surging trade surplus with the United States.

Mike Green, senior director for Asian affairs on the National Security Council, would not discuss the financial details of the airplane deal. Neither Boeing Co. nor the Chinese government made any formal announcement of the sale.

"It's a very important thing and I think it's a testament to how our approach to China is yielding real results," Green told reporters traveling in China with Bush. "In this case, an order for 70 737 aircraft from Boeing."

Beijing often announces large purchases of American airliners in connection with visits by U.S. leaders in an effort mollify Washington's frustration over China's trade surplus, which hit a record $162 billion in 2004.

It is expected to pass $200 billion this year.

China is a key growth market for Boeing and its European rival Airbus Industrie.

Boeing says it expects Chinese carriers to buy more than 2,600 new aircraft worth $213 billion as the country's economy grows and more people travel. It says it hopes the single-aisle Boeing 737 jet, which carries about 150 passengers, will make up the bulk of China's new purchases.

Archived