CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Car won't start due to theft system.

northstar101

Hey guys, a couple of days ago, I tried starting my car and it would show me the "car won't start due to theft system" message. It then proceeded to tell me to "wait 3 minutes" and then start the car. So I waited 3 minutes several times and each time i'd try to start the car it wouldn't. I then proceeded to search the forum and found that lots of people expierienced this as well. Someone mentioned that they moved the shifter console up and down, locked themselves in the car with the key fob, tried opening the car with just the key and not the remote etc...

None of these solutions worked for me so I then tried cleaning the resistor on the key with alcohol as well as the inside of the ignition cylinder and still nothing. I figured that there might be something wrong with the key so I made my way down to the dealership to get a copy(since I only had one copy come with the car). The tech told me that the key was fine(he tested it) and proceeded to tell me that it's the ignition cylinder. He told me it's $82.55 for the IGN cylinder and $68.60 for the key. He also told me that it's 2 hours labour and I have to tow the car there. I really don't want to dish out all this money into this car right now and I could replace the ignition cylinder myself and not have the dealership charge me 2 hours labour but i'm looking to bypass the system. I have read another post where adallak did this to his car and the only thing you face is a better risk of theft but i don't really care for this. If anyone can give me a detailed explanation on what to do, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Phil

There is a wire inside the ignition lock cylinder. Looks like it went south which is very likely taking into account it is 13 years old car. You have to take off the steering wheel to get access to the cylinder and replace it. Another way is inserting a resistor equal to one in your key in the circuit on car's side. It's acheap and easy fix, but you'll lose one of security features.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

On 8-29-05 my car also dispayed the Starter disabled message something about theft and remove ignition key. Wait three minutes! The count down never started so I knew something was wrong. I still have roadside assisatnce on the car and they towed it to my dealer. They said the same thing. The cylinder was 54.44 and each of the two keys were 45.24. All together it was $465.41.

On 8-29-05 my car also dispayed the Starter disabled message something about theft and remove ignition key. Wait three minutes! The count down never started so I knew something was wrong. I still have roadside assisatnce on the car and they towed it to my dealer. They said the same thing. The cylinder was 54.44 and each of the two keys were 45.24. All together it was $465.41.

You must be kidding! :blink::blink: Replacing the lock cylinder with right tools is an hour work. Frankly, I would put just a $2 resistor from RadioShak in the circuit and forget it. Sdpend $465 for something really important and necessary. I did just that two years ago. Repairing the broken wire does not make sense either since it will let you down again some day.

Don't buy new keys from the dealer - just have the new lock cylinder re-keyed to your existing keys. When I replaced the cylinder in my Fleetwood last year, the dealer came within $10 of GMpartsdirect's price on the part. He also told me the name of the locksmith who does all the lock work for them and the locksmith re-keyed the cylinder for $10 while I waited.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

thanks for the replies. Adallak, can you tell me where the circuit is located. That's exactly what I was planning on doing but I am completely clueless on going about this.

Thanks, Phil

Phil,

First measure the resistance of your ignition key "chip". Mine is 1,5 kOhm. Yours may be different. Buy a reistor/resistors to match the value on your key. If there is no nominal close to your value you can use parallel or consecutive connection to get closer. The guy at RadioShak did not know that. :lol: Meanwhile I will take off the sound insulator to see the color of the wires I shorted.

Don't buy new keys from the dealer - just have the new lock cylinder re-keyed to your existing keys. When I replaced the cylinder in my Fleetwood last year, the dealer came within $10 of GMpartsdirect's price on the part. He also told me the name of the locksmith who does all the lock work for them and the locksmith re-keyed the cylinder for $10 while I waited.

Yes, you can replace the cylinder lock later and remove the installed resistor. KHE gave you very good advise.

Ok, when you remove the sound insulator under the steering column and the metal shield you'll see a purple and black wires with white and black strips going to the steering column (I hold them with fingers). Cut them and short with resistor/resistors. The resistors i installed are covered with black electrical tape on the picture attached.

post-3-1126888211_thumb.jpg

Alright guys here's the deal. I cannot locate the wires that adallak described. I'm thinking that if anything then my wires are just simply different colors. I wrote down all the wires that come down from the steering column so that maybe one of you guys can identify which ones I tap into with resistors.

2 wires stuck together- Tan/green

3 wires stuck together- brown/orange/black

1 wire-orange

8 wires stuck together-White/green/yellow/purple/brown/blue/light blue/black

9 wires stuck together-pink/purple/green/grey/white/black/blue/grey/pink

Thick wires

Red/white stripes

orange

green

pink

brown

red

yellow

wires connected to clip

green/white stripe

yellow/black stripe

yellow

brown

If anyone can even get a wiring diagram from there haynes manual, that would be greatly appreciated. I want to fix this problem by the end of today since I will need to drive my car to school tomorrow.

Thanks guys, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Thanks adallak for your help. I just want to be sure that i'm tapping into the correct wire so that more problems won't arise. If no one else responds i'm going to go with your assumption. I have one more question. When I'm installing the resistor, I just simply connect the cut wire to each end of the resistor right? I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing since I have never attempted this before.

Thanks, Phil

Thanks adallak for your help. I just want to be sure that i'm tapping into the correct wire so that more problems won't arise. If no one else responds i'm going to go with your assumption. I have one more question. When I'm installing the resistor, I just simply connect the cut wire to each end of the resistor right? I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing since I have never attempted this before.

Thanks, Phil

Phil,

You should cut both wires and the end of green wire should be connected to one of ends of the resistor and the tan to the another end of the resistor.

To make sure you have right wires you can cut one of them (say green) and insert your ohmmetr in that cut. It should show unlimitid resistance (megaohms) since there is no key inserted into the circuit or even if it is installed the wire inside your ignition lock is broken so anyway no current flows.

Make sure you inserted the resistor on so called car's side so that the resstor has nothing to do with wires coming FROM the steering column.

Make a temporary but reliable connection and later solder it with soldering iron or a small propane torch (be careful!).

I believe Marika has the same model car. Marika, where are you? :(

The PASS key wires in my '93 Fleetwood were both white (small wires) inside an orange outer jacket. I would be positive you find the correct wires before cutting them. Also, I'd cut the wires on the column side of the plug - that way, if you decide to replace the lock at a later date, the new cylinder will be able to plug into the vehicle harness.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

ok, I found the orange jacket with the two white wires inside. I spliced into them and connected a resistor in between both of 2 wires. Tried starting the car and still the same problem. Then I tried switching the two wires up. Still nothing. Do I only connect one resistor in between one wire and then just connect the remaining split wire together? The only other thing that I can think of is that maybe I'm not using the right resistor. I'm using the 1,5kohm resistor but I cannot find my voltometer to test the resistance in my key. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

ok, I found the orange jacket with the two white wires inside. I spliced into them and connected a resistor in between both of 2 wires. Tried starting the car and still the same problem. Then I tried switching the two wires up. Still nothing. Do I only connect one resistor in between one wire and then just connect the remaining split wire together? The only other thing that I can think of is that maybe I'm not using the right resistor. I'm using the 1,5kohm resistor but I cannot find my voltometer to test the resistance in my key. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

Phil,

Your key's resistor may be different (as I told). The probability it is like mine 1.5 kOhm is very low. FIRST get a resistor which would be close enough to yours (say within 10%) then do whatever you do with wires. You can ask the guys at RadioShak to measure the resistance of yor key - they have multimeters for sure.

Hey guys, I finally found my voltmeter. It's a digital one and worked pretty good in the past. Can someone tell me the proper way to measure the resistance of the chip in the key. I thought that all I have to do is put one prong one side of the chip and the other on the other side. Is this the wrong way, since the voltmeter isn't reading anything.

Thanks again, Phil

Set the meter to the ohms scale and place one probe on the metal portion of the key chip and the other probe on the opposite side metal portion of the chip.

Read the scale and post back the reading. Note that it may be in k-ohms - be sure to note that.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived