CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac Catches Fire Kills 1

95SLS

I saw this on the news in my hometown, The Family had just returned home from vacationing in the Deville. Moments later the Engine of the Devill caught fire, quickly spreading. The fire ststion was only a few blocks away. But by time they got there it was really involved. I just wonder if it was a Fuel rail. What else could it be? I'll keep an eye on the story, My brother in law is the Cheif so when I talk to him I'll get inside scoop.

Volunteer dies after fire call

By JOE GORMAN and ANGELIQUE McKOWAN Tribune Chronicle

LIBERTY - A township volunteer firefighter died at St. Elizabeth Health Center after he was hurt about 4:15 p.m. Monday at the scene of a Auto fire on Barth Avenue, fire Chief Michael Durkin said.

The Trumbull County coroner is investigating the cause of 55-year-old Eddie Conricote's death, Durkin said.

Conricote had been a volunteer with the department for 15 years.

NewsChannel 33 reported that firefighters were called to the home because a car in the garage caught on fire. Two cars in the garage were damaged, as well as a room above the garage.

Conricote also worked for the township Road Department and previously had worked for the Park Department.

Trustee W. Gary Litch said Conricote enjoyed his job with the Fire Department.

''He was a good employee,'' Litch said. ''He was a good person. It's unfortunate.''

Tim Monroe, Conricote's supervisor on the Road Department, said he worked with Conricote for the last 10 years.

''Eddie was a great guy,'' Monroe said. ''He loved the work he did. He loved being a volunteer firefighter.

''He was a very intelligent guy. A good guy to be around. He was never angry. He always had a smile on his face.''

Monroe said Conricote's brother and mother both live in the area, and his mother was at the hospital when Conricote was brought in. Monroe also said Conricote had a sister who lives in Canton who also was heading here when she learned of her brother's death.

''It's very sad. It's very unexpected,'' Monroe said. ''It puts everything in perspective when someone you work with is gone. It makes you take a step back and re-examine what your relationships are with your friends and the people you work with.''

The incident recalled the July 29, 1981, fire in which five Warren firefighters were seriously burned. One of them, Joseph Rich, died of a heart attack about four years later after taking early retirement.

jgorman@tribune-chronicle.com

I've heard that there are a lot of fires in these cars. Oil fires from the darn oil leaks. The way the exhaust goes right under the motor puts in right in the way of any oil leaks, and a lot of them leak oil.

The thing is I can't remember who had the statistics on it. If I find it I'll post back. NHTSA maybe?

You can search NSHTA data at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

I don't see any recalls listed for the 94 STS that involve risk of fire.

The 2003 Deville did have a recall that related to a fuel pressure sensor in the gas tank

General Motors Corporation

Models: Cadillac Deville Years:    2002-2003

Cadillac Seville Years:    2002-2003

Oldsmobile Aurora Years:    2002-2003

Pontiac Bonneville Years:    2002-2003

Number Potentially Involved:  102,212

Dates of Manufacture:  February – December 2002 

Defect:  On certain Cadillac passenger vehicles, funeral coaches, and limousines equipped with a V8 (4.6L) engine, Oldsmobile Aurora vehicles equipped with a V8 (4.0L ) engine, and Pontiac Bonneville SSEi vehicles equipped with a supercharged V6 (3.8L) engine, the fuel tank pressure sensors are unusually susceptible to malfunctions. If the sensor malfunctions, excessive vacuum can be applied during self-diagnostic testing. Fuel system components can be damaged, and fuel can leak from the vehicle when it is refueled. Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source can result in a fire.

Remedy:  Dealers will replace the fuel tank pressure sensor. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during the third quarter of 2003. Owners may contact Cadillac at 1-866-982-2339, Oldsmobile at 1-800-630-6537, or Pontiac at 1-800-620-7668.

[NHTSA Recall No. 03V238/GM Recall No. 03038]

If oil leaks were a concern for fire risks the entire auto industry would have gone up in smoke long ago.

I don't see any recall data related to Cadillacs & fuel rails.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

No recalls.....but NHTSA is looking at the fuel rails.

Make: CADILLAC

Model: DEVILLE

Year: 1997

NHTSA Action Number: PE03050

Summary:

THE FUEL RAIL ASSEMBLIES USED IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES WERE MANUFACTURED BY DANA. THE FUEL RAIL JUMPER TUBES WERE MADE OF MONOLAYER NYLON 12 (PA12). IN MODEL YEAR (MY) 1998, THE JUMPER TUBE MATERIAL WAS CHANGED FROM PA12 TO M-BOND (A MULTI-LAYER PTFE/PA12). IN ADDITION, ALL SERVICE PARTS PRODUCED SINCE THE END OF PRODUCTION 1997 USE THE M-BOND JUMPER TUBES. MATERIAL ANALYSIS PERFORMED BY DANA ON FAILED FUEL RAILS SHOWED THAT THE MONO-LAYER NYLON 12 JUMPER TUBES ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO ENVIRONMENTAL STRESS CRACKING (ESC). GM BELIEVES THE ESC IS A RESULT OF HEAT, TIME, ALCOHOL BLENDED FUEL, FUEL PRESSURE CYCLING, AND DESIGNED IN STRESS. EIGHT OF THE GM COMPLAINTS ARE DUPLICATIVE OF ODI COMPLAINTS. ODI HAS RECEIVED 77 OF IT'S 123 COMPLAINTS IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS. FUEL RAIL PART SALES OVER THE LAST THREE YEARS RANGE FROM 3.0 PERCENT OF PRODUCTION FOR THE MY 1997 CADILLAC VEHICLES TO 13.1 PERCENT FOR THE MY 1995 AURORAS. AT LEAST ONE OF THE FIRE INCIDENTS OCCURED WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS PARKED WITHIN A GARAGE ATTACHED TO THE CONSUMERS HOME. THE FIRE RESULTED IN DAMAGE TO THE DWELLING AS WELL AS THE TOTAL LOSS OF THE VEHICLE. THIS INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS.

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard that there are a lot of fires in these cars. Oil fires from the darn oil leaks. The way the exhaust goes right under the motor puts in right in the way of any oil leaks, and a lot of them leak oil.

The thing is I can't remember who had the statistics on it. If I find it I'll post back. NHTSA maybe?

Below is the report I had ran across earlier. It was just a post from this forum.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/northstaroil.htm

Thought your readers would like to know that the above has an apparent design flaw which allows a serious and potentially dangerous oil leak from the upper to the lower crankcase in this split block (made of aluminum) engine. Cadillac mechanics (speaking strictly off the record) acknowledge that this is a serious problem which occurs mainly in engines over 100,000 miles, but they have seen it in Caddies as early as 25,000 miles. There is nothing an owner can do to prevent the problem and the repair cost $1,800 which includes 18 hours of labor. It is so costly due the need to drop the transmission and remove the engine from the motor mounts to make the repair. Cadillac will not even discuss this with owners (I have the problem with a '94 Seville with 66,800 miles) and refuses to admit that this is a problem even though the NHTSA has numerous Technical Service Bulletins regarding the leaks beginning in 1993 model year. The leaks can cause engine compartment fires.

Here are the NHTS Service Bulletin #'s, all of which have to do with oil leaks in the Northstar engine: 477278(1/1/94); 316110A(5/94); 476003(6/94); 470201(5/94); and NHTS Office Of Defects Investigation I.D.#808063-Odor of burning oil from a/c and heat ducts in passenger compartment. The next numbers are Cadillac Technical Service Bulletins to their dealers dealing with oil leaks: 35. SB676111(4/96)-eng oil leaks from upper to lower crankcase; 78. SB576111(5/95)-Oil leak at rear main seal &/or T joint; 44. SB476003A(1/96)-Engine oil leaks/identification/svc procedure. I have experienced the "low oil pressure", odor in passenger compartment, and serious smoke from the engine compartment. It seems that a definite and persistent problem is occurring and that Cadillac is stonewalling. Regards,

Patrick T. Hickey

The crankcase design of the northstar is actually a feature, as it makes the block stronger.

Although some early cars did have a crankcase seal issue it is not a fire hazard.

Oil leakage is not related to the fuel line issue.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

It is also not such a "chronic" issue as those who have actually HAD the problem would believe. Most cars never develop this problem and won't ever leak any oil. A few months ago, I started having an oily pan, and it would drip a drop of oil overnight. "Oh well" I thought...time to start putting some carpet down. It turns out, I just installed a soft washer on the oil drain plug and that "leak" was fixed.

One of the most common "problems" regarding the case half seal is mis-diagnosis. I'm not saying your car doesn't really have the problem, but many that develop oil leaks are suffering from a simple o-ring on an oil cooler line, or an oil filter adapter gasket.

This leak is not a fire hazard, only a nuisance, if you're one of the 2% or whatever it is who actually have the problem.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived