CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strange Popup Window Just Appeared

Marika

I just tried to access this site by clicking a link in an e-mail I received while being notified of a comment posted to a thread.

I've never seen a popup box appear at this site asking me for my user name and password. I cancelled the box without entering my password information and scrolled to the top of the page to see that I was already logged in.

Is someone trying to phish for user names and passwords at this site? <_>

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I just tried to access this site by clicking a link in an e-mail I received while being notified of a comment posted to a thread.

I've never seen a popup box appear at this site asking me for my user name and password. I cancelled the box without entering my password information and scrolled to the top of the page to see that I was already logged in.

Is someone trying to phish for user names and passwords at this site? <_<

Time to run "Ad-aware" and "Spybot, Search and Destroy".. :ph34r:

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

No, the cookies are ok. There's also no spyware on this machine. I just thought it was very odd. Maybe someone is sniffing the ports on the server side of Caddyinfo.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Adware and spybot are good ones but there are a few that they won't catch. DL the antispyware prog (formerly known as Giant) from microsoft's download site. Type in "antispyware" in the Search box and it'll take you to the DL link. Just make sure to run adware or spybot after it...because there are some that the MS antispyware won't catch but spybot and adware will. Go figure.

And of course a good firewall is a must. Pop up windows like to use the Generic Host as a way in. I favor Sygate Pro behind a Linksys firewall but that may be overkill for most.

Marika let us know if and when you figure out the cause of the pop up.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Adware and spybot are good ones but there are a few that they won't catch. DL the antispyware prog (formerly known as Giant) from microsoft's download site. Type in "antispyware" in the Search box and it'll take you to the DL link. Just make sure to run adware or spybot after it...because there are some that the MS antispyware won't catch but spybot and adware will. Go figure.

And of course a good firewall is a must. Pop up windows like to use the Generic Host as a way in. I favor Sygate Pro behind a Linksys firewall but that may be overkill for most.

Marika let us know if and when you figure out the cause of the pop up.

I downloaded the Microsoft spyware scanner as well, it's a beta version. Nothing found.

I just saw your post, it's something that has happend here. I do not know if it's the same thing that happened by you but here it is. I have DSL and every now and then my ISP (Verizon) will drop out braking my connection, if I try to enter a reply after the drop out I will get a re-log in box. I to use Spy Bot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware and CW Shredder, my system is clean so I believe what you experienced is OK. I bet even if you are on Dial-Up and you get an intermitentent drop out that brakes your connection from the caddy info server you will get a re log in box.

Folks,

I have not seem any such window on this site (or any others for that matter).

I use: Win XP Pro, Norton SysWorks, Adaware, Spybot S& D, Zonealarm with NAT+ Router on DSL (no logins required).

This combo has always worked for me and if not...

I have a complete spare hard drive that is installed in the computer, but disconnected on both power and data cables. It was Ghost-cloned from the working drive, but it has never been in service simultaneously with XP (one will get invalidated by XP during startup). Any problems, just swap (use cable select to determine M/S) drives and Ghost-clone again (disconnect spare drive before XP re-starts). A very crude, but absolutely bulletproof "system restore".

And then there is always Clone #2, #3 etc...

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

There is a lot of that out there. I use freedom from bell, and it pick up a lot from here.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

I just saw your post, it's something that has happend here. I do not know if it's the same thing that happened by you but here it is. I have DSL and every now and then my ISP (Verizon) will drop out braking my connection, if I try to enter a reply after the drop out I will get a re-log in box. I to use Spy Bot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware and CW Shredder, my system is clean so I believe what you experienced is OK. I bet even if you are on Dial-Up and you get an intermitentent drop out that brakes your connection from the caddy info server you will get a re log in box.

I'm actually on a high speed cable connection. Maybe that's the reason the user name/password box popped up. Sometimes, they too drop the connection for a split second.

Test your internet connection speed here: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Test your internet connection speed here: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Geesh, I'm running a little slow today...LOL

Last Result:

Download Speed: 9325 kbps (1165.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 933 kbps (116.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Hahaa come on some of these are getting off track just a tad. Marika you seem like a savvy computer user. Personally I wouldn't worry too much because you seem to be a cautious and observant user. That will always be your best self defense against any hi-jacking attempts. With that said I'm betting that you have a pretty secure system. That pop up could have been carried over from a previous website visit and just happen to appear as you were logging into caddyinfo. It happens to me now and then because I'm somewhat relaxed about how much security I utilize. Sure I could lock it down like Fort Knox but then I would lose functionality. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. After all.... it's just a computer.... an over-sized toy.

Check your firewall. I'm sure you have one. Open it up and then look under Applications. Check to see how many Generic Host Applications are listed. Should really only have one. And of course check your Process List for anything unusual. But at the end of the day it might have just been a fluke. You've been using comps long enough to know that they are flukie things. But they are getting better.

BTW yes the MS Antispyware prog is a beta..... but not really. It's the exact one that Giant developed and won all the awards with. The reason it's beta is because MS will want to change a few thing to make it there own. And I'm convinced it's not necessarily for the better..... so unlike MS LOL. One thing I've noticed is that it allows certain ad type spyware that should be childs play to block. MS is probably selling ad space out to the highest bidder. Not the first time and personally I think it's a great idea LOL. Heck I would do the samething if I owned it. Nothing is really for free is it? LOL

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Hahaa come on some of these are getting off track just a tad.  Marika you seem like a savvy computer user.  Personally I wouldn't worry too much because you seem to be a cautious and observant user.  That will always be your best self defense against any hi-jacking attempts.  With that said I'm betting that you have a pretty secure system.  That pop up could have been carried over from a previous website visit and just happen to appear as you were logging into caddyinfo.  It happens to me now and then because I'm somewhat relaxed about how much security I utilize.  Sure I could lock it down like Fort Knox but then I would lose functionality.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.  After all.... it's just a computer.... an over-sized toy.

Check your firewall.  I'm sure you have one.  Open it up and then look under Applications.  Check to see how many Generic Host Applications are listed.  Should really only have one.  And of course check your Process List for anything unusual.  But at the end of the day it might have just been a fluke.  You've been using comps long enough to know that they are flukie things.  But they are getting better.

BTW yes the MS Antispyware prog is a beta..... but not really.  It's the exact one that Giant developed and won all the awards with.  The reason it's beta is because MS will want to change a few thing to make it there own.  And I'm convinced it's not necessarily for the better..... so unlike MS LOL.  One thing I've noticed is that it allows certain ad type spyware that should be childs play to block.  MS is probably selling ad space out to the highest bidder.  Not the first time and personally I think it's a great idea LOL.  Heck I would do the samething if I owned it.  Nothing is really for free is it?  LOL

Yeah, I'm fairly well locked down on this system. I use a router with all inbound connections closed and I have the address pool limited to 1 machine so automatically if anyone else tries to log on, the router won't allow it.

For a firewall I use 8Signs. http://www.8signs.com This firewall was written by the same guy that wrote ConSeal firewall. I read a review once about ConSeal. It basically said that ConSeal was the type of firewall a hacker would want on their machine, but would hate to run up against on someone else's machine....LOL

The best part about 8Signs is the Tarpit feature. It's hysterical to watch someone try to connect to your system and have the firewall capture their connection and hold them hostage, sometimes for hours...LOL

8Signs is not an application based firewall, it's a rule based firewall and as such, requires a working knowledge of how networks operate. When I go to Gibson Research to check the status of the firewall, all ports are completely stealth which is highly unusual for a Windows based operating system.

I use Firefox for my web browser which is great because it WILL stop malicious software from being installed on your system.

I use Thunderbird for my e-mail/newsgroup program for the same reason. It's security is very tight.

I also have ActiveX on a very short leash...LOL

You might be right about the password dialog box popping up from a previous site. Anything is possible on the Internet...LOL

Archived