CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Any Tire Size Experts

ted tcb

I'm looking into switching the rubber from a 97 STS with a 99 STS. My 97 uses

P225/60R16, while the 99 with older rubber has P235/60R16 ... dealer is willing to put my new rubber onto the 99 STS.

Will the P225 fit the 99's stock rims?

Also, I have four '97 original rims shorn with P225/60R16 snow tires ... come winter, can I put this tire/rim package onto the 99 STS?

Thanks in advance.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Absolutely, without a hitch! You will actually get better traction in the snow with a thinner tire! The 225 is a little thinner than the 235. They are both the same profile, so the only difference is in the width(minimal difference in hight) hight difference is so small you won't even notice it.

Big Jay

At last a topic I am a pro in...TIRES!

Life is too short to grow up!

Thanks for the responses

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

You'll also see lower rolling resistance (less tread on the pavement), better fuel economy, and better overall performance (less weight).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I think the speedometer will read higher than the actual speed as the 225-60 tire is smaller in circumference than the 235-60 tire.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You'll also see lower rolling resistance (less tread on the pavement), better fuel economy, and better overall performance (less weight).

Jason, you are right, there will be a difference, but with one size it will be minimal. With running them in the winter, you won't be able to notice, as a matter of fact on snowy days, it will be worse. Resistance in cutting through the snow causes less mpg's.

Big Jay

Jason, you are right, there will be a difference, but with one size it will be minimal. With running them in the winter, you won't be able to notice, as a matter of fact on snowy days, it will be worse. Resistance in cutting through the snow causes less mpg's.

Big Jay

I don't understand how a thinner tire (however minimally) would cause MORE resistance cutting through snow. ??

What he said. Exactly.

Only get the 235 tire if you want the 'fuller' look of it. (style issues)

If that does not have value then DEFINITELY get the 225 tire.

cheers,

~Doc

I don't understand how a thinner tire (however minimally) would cause MORE resistance cutting through snow. ??

What I am saying, is it really won't make a difference.....The milage(minimal) that you could save by going down one tire size, will not make a differece, when you drive in snowy conditions.

A dry smooth road that is free of anything is going to have less resistance than a road that is covered in snow, rain, slush, etc....

A bicycle tire has resistance cutting through snow....come on, I hope this was a joke?

Big Jay

I think we're agreeing, but on different terms. My point is that given the choice of a 235mm tread width or a 225mm tread width, the 225mm tire will offer less rolling resistance, and have less weight. Minimal though the difference may be, the difference is there.

I thought your previous comment (on 20 Jul, above) was saying that the thinner tire would produce more resistance in snow than a thicker tire would, and I was asking why that would be (because it wouldn't). Now I know you were merely pointing out that you'll get poorer mileage driving in the snow than in the dry, which is true, all else being equal.

Archived