CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help/Car Won’t Start

MAC

Yesterday I thought I would finally replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) with a brand new ACDelco. However, things did not go as smooth as I had hoped. After I installed it the car ran rich. So, I thought I would put the old one back in to see if the new one was faulty. Well, after reinstalling the original FPR the car started and blew a bunch of black, white and some blue smoke out the exhaust. It cleared up so I though everything was back to normal. Well, I drove to a local Target without a problem. The engine was smooth, no indication of a pending problem. Acceleration was good, no bucking, and no smoke. Well, got back to drive home and … Nothing! The engine would crank and crank and crank, but would not start. Checked the fuel pump fuse and it looks fine. So, I just had it towed to my place.

What did I do? When I replaced the FPR I noticed some wires feeding down through the manifold. My FPR is under the finishing cover. I pull off the air inlet duct/hose and stuck my hand in at the butterfly valve…smelled gas. In fact, kind of afraid to try to start the engine. It looks like I messed up installing the FPR and there is a fuel leak. I have the plastic fuel rail. I pulled the FPR up and twisted it around and pulled the fuel rail off. The fuel rail also has another O-ring connection that must feed the front injectors. There is an O-ring sitting in a recessed hole…it looks like there is supposed to be a seal once the finishing cover is torque as it forces the fuel rail onto the O-ring.

I took the FPR off and reinstalled a few times. Now the car will just crank and will not even attempt to start.

The fuel rail recall does not include your car. It sounds like you may have a fuel leak somewhere. Remove the manifold cover and turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system but DO NOT start the engine as it will run away unthrottled as in WOT. Now with the system pressurized a leak should be easy to spot.

There is an o-ring that is on the FPR nipple (the nipple that points down). Sometimes, this gets damaged or does not get reinstalled and the engine will not run properly. If this is the problem, your dealer should have the o-ring kit in stock.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

>If you do this be carefull of sparks (disconnect power to the coil pack) as a stray spark and gas popping out of the plug hole could cause an underhood thermal incident.<

Ah..”thermaL incident” aka “thermal event"...

I think the shingle of “bbobynski esq.” Is out…LOL

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

>If you do this be carefull of sparks (disconnect power to the coil pack) as a stray spark and gas popping out of the plug hole could cause an underhood thermal incident.<

Ah..”thermaL incident” aka “thermal event"...

I think the shingle of “bbobynski esq.” Is out…LOL

C'mon Bob. You know all about this subject....LOL. Explain about the FPR o-ring and seal and how to get it in right.

You are correct sir!

All kidding aside, your description is dead on. I did go through the same symptoms and corrective action. My N* was stumbling and blowing copius amounts of WHITE smoke out the tailpipes from an extremely over rich condition caused by an improperly seated o-ring during my first attempt at replacing the fpr. R&R and making sure it was properly seated corrected it. I remember using a turkey baster to remove all the fuel in the block valley...

... I think I also remembering e-mailing someone about the dilema.... ;)

user posted image

I'm replacing the FPR because of hard starting when hot and backfiring through the manifold. I understand these are symptoms of FPR problems. What kind of bugs me is that the ACDelco FPR came with a separate envelope containing the FPR O-ring and locking washer that holds the O-ring in place. Why couldn't ACDelco have put it in so we don't have to worry about doing it the wrong way? Anyway, it's pretty simple to install the O-ring and I'm pretty sure I did it right. However, if the O-ring is off just ever so slightly I'm thinking it could be the problem. When the washer is pressed or tapped in the FPR I was careful to do my best to make sure it was evenly aligned. I looked at the stock FPR and made sure I installed it the same way. I also have the O-ring for the front rail and it looks to be in good shape. There is a bunch of fuel lying in the manifold. This morning before I went to work I took a bunch of paper towels, folded them between the Air Tubes and pushed them down into the gas; they came out soaking wet. I have the cover off and hopefully some of the fuel will evaporate. This weekend I'm going to clean it out and make sure its dry. I will also follow Guru's suggestion and pull the plugs to see if any fuel is in the cylinders. I will carefully reinstall the new FPR a try it again. Otherwise, I will take it to Cadillac and have them do it so I don't blow the engine up.

I've been without my Eldo for three days and I'm going through withdrawal. :blink: My friend let me borrow his daughter's older (early 90s?) Mazda 626. I'm not complaining as it is a very nice gesture and I'm very thankful. :) Maybe I’m just acting like a spoiled brat, but it seems like I get no respect with that car. People pass and tail me like I’m nothing but a big nuisance. What a difference HP makes. With my Eldo, I’m pretty much left alone except for the occasional nut in a Ricer.

Thanks for the input.

Mac, I went through exactly what your describing, and got it right on the second try. The trick was just making sure the o-ring is really 'home', with the washer all the way up against it. Then, just make sure when the fpr comes down over the nipple that it really hits bottom. Tighten up the cover and turn it over.. Good luck!

user posted image

Thanks Bob D.

I installed the O-ring according to what I saw from the stock FPR. The stock O-ring was floating a little because the washer was not pushed up against it as you suggested. This could be the problem. So, what you're saying is that I should push the washer directly against the O-ring (of course, not to smash the O-ring) just enough that it's snug?

Thanks Bob D.

I installed the O-ring according to what I saw from the stock FPR. The stock O-ring was floating a little because the washer was not pushed up against it as you suggested. This could be the problem. So, what you're saying is that I should push the washer directly against the O-ring (of course, not to smash the O-ring) just enough that it's snug?

Precisely. Snug is good. Then like I indicated, follow the fpr down the 'neck' of the nipple as best you can to make sure the step in the neck contacts the outer surface of the seating washer.

user posted image

Archived