CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TUNE UP OR TRANNY????

GR8NSTAR

Hello all.

My family and I are getting ready to take our family vacation in about a month and half from now so I figured it'll be a good time to start getting the car ready for the trip. I have a 98 deville with 106,006 miles on her. Roughly about 3k miles earlier I had my tranny powered flushed and a new filter kit put on. This is the 1st time i've had the kit replaced and the 2nd time i've changed the tranny fluid since i've owned the car. I first got the car with about 44k miles on her. Until now she's been very solid and true. Shortly after my last tranny job I began to notice that when taking off she shifts fine through the normal shift progressions until we get to third gear. While in third she seems to want to stay there. I have to really press the accelarator reaching nearly 60 mph before she finally shifts into 4th. The northstar also seems to be a bit stressed too when going up hills (sort of steep) too. I notice that when she downshifts to pull the hill i'll hear the normal roar from her but quickly seems like she loses a lil power. This and other hills are a part of our daily travels and have never been any competition for her. I'm wondering if a tune up is in order or if I have a tranny problem. I pulled the codes a 4 came up under the PCM. They were PO461, PO463, P1527, and P1566. All 4 of these codes had the word HISTORY next to them. I called the dealer and they asked if my check engine light was on and it isn't, nor has it came on. So what does this mean. Any thoughts BBobinski or any one else on the board. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Oh yes the tranny fluid was still red when they flushed it but not as bright red as the new stuff they put in.

It was told many times here to not powerflush the tranny, just drain and refill. Powerflush introduces someone elses transmission debries into your tranny. Now you really need to drain and refill and replace the filter too.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Not all "flushes" introduce old fluid into the tranny. Incorrect or fradulant flushes will, but it is not a "given" that that will happen. Flushes may/could loosen debris that could plug a valve. Thats about the only issue that I have againsted flushes.

At 106K mi. I would think its time for plugs and wires. Starting there will be doing something that could cure the problem and if not it was still probably needed.

Seems like more than just a coincidence that the problem occurred soon after having the trans. flushed....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

P1527 - Transmission Range to Pressure Switch Correlation

P1566 - Engine RPM Too High - Cruise Control Disabled (an indication that you had a delayed shift probably)

P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Voltage

P0461 - Fuel Level Sensor Performance

Scotty since these codes are registered as history should I just not worry about it. My check engine light hasn't come on and shouldn't I see a current code for the tranny too. Oh yeah thanks to all for your responses and A BIG HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL OF US DADS!!!!!!!!!! :D I'll keep trouble shooting and will keep all posted. T.G.I.F. and have a great weekend.

Scotty

It doesn't appear to have the problem anymore. I drove it for roughly about 150 miles over the weekend. Did some out of town traveling. She seem to run fine. I traveled at about 77 mph with the cruise control on. Even when going up hills she down shifted automatically to maintain the set cruise control speed and once we crested the hill the tranny shifted back into fourth with no problems. I wish I could say it was something that I did but all I can think of is that I added a can of BG 44 before the fillup which was to clean the injectors and intake valve. I didn't do anything special for the tranny itself. I'm still keeping a close eye on her. Once again thanks for any and all advise. This is an awesome board.

Archived