CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shame on me!

Can you believe it or not, I NEVER took off the engine cover, or whatever its called, the thing covering the plugs, the wires and injectors. The car has 70K. Of course I did required maintenance, but that was minimal. That spring, when it's got warmer I decided to get rid of some annoying codes and take care a bit more about the car. And once I opened the hood and I was itchy to take off that cover (I guess it's fixed with the 10 screws) to see how it looks like under. I even tried unscrewing one of them, but it wasn't easy and then I thought: Why I should do that? If it works fine, better not to do that. So I left it alone. Just want to know if it really surprises you or not :D

It does surprise me a bit but by the same token, if it ain't broke...

I usually take the covers apart on a fairly regular basis to see how "things are doing"; that I can't see easily. If I visually inspect the condition of some of the rubber and plastic/bakolite parts, I can help myself with the diagnosis of a problem when it arises and thus not pay someone else to tell me my plug wires are fried under the cover due to heat or...?

I fire a bit of grease here and there to loosen things up and coat them and then I put it back together.

It's probably more piece of mind for me than actually improving the chances of life but I like to think I am limiting the frequency or occurrance of a breakdown during a time that I am really relying on the car to get somewhere... I do very few "Sunday drives" so this is pretty much all the time.

It doesn't hurt to tell the service guy that you actually know what condition everything apears to be in; it tells him he has a limited line of potential revenue to get from you because you actually care enough to have a look.

Mike P B)

Can you believe it or not, I NEVER took off the engine cover, or whatever its called, the thing covering the plugs, the wires and injectors. The car has 70K. Of course I did required maintenance, but that was minimal. That spring, when it's got warmer I decided to get rid of some annoying codes and take care a bit more about the car. And once I opened the hood and I was itchy to take off that cover (I guess it's fixed with the 10 screws) to see how it looks like under. I even tried unscrewing one of them, but it wasn't easy and then I thought: Why I should do that? If it works fine, better not to do that. So I left it alone. Just want to know if it really surprises you or not :D

10 bolts makes it more difficult, mine has 4 that are easy to get at.. Isn't it nice to want to take the top off out of curiosity than out of necessity! :lol:

. . . . Isn't it nice to want to take the top off out of curiosity than out of necessity! :lol:

Oh yes, YES YES YES! :P:P:P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Absolutely. That is what I like about my caddy. It DOESN'T NEED TO BE OPENED! Just out of curiosity. I don't remember exactly, may be it less than 10 bolts, but something close. But still, I decide not to touch it. And it's possible, my caddy says "Thank you for not bothering me too often", running strong all years.

On '95 and later Northstars the "beauty cover" is just that: a nonfunctional ornament held on by four "acorn" nuts.

On earlier engines, I'm told, it is functional. I never really understood that. If anyone has an explanation or a service manual drawing, I'd be greatful for the info. Perhaps others would enjoy as well.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

If someone shows something under the hood and asks me what is it I usually know the answer. But sometimes I just say: "I do not know it never broke!: :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

On '95 and later Northstars the "beauty cover" is just that: a nonfunctional ornament held on by four "acorn" nuts.

On earlier engines, I'm told, it is functional. I never really understood that. If anyone has an explanation or a service manual drawing, I'd be greatful for the info. Perhaps others would enjoy as well.

Regards,

Warren

Warren,

You are correct. On '95 and earlier that cover is actually the top half of the intake manifold, hence 10 or so bolts. The fuel rail, injectors and FPR are also inside there as I understand. On '96 and later it is just a plasctic "Beauty cover" to hide the manifold, wires, injectors etc and give it a cleaner look under the hood. Since it is nonfunctional it is only held in place by 4 plastic acorn nuts.

Regards,

Warren

Actually I was told by Guru that the four bolt style serves a function, it minimizes the injector noise

Hey everyone,

On my 94 sts there are only 4 bolts that hold the intake on the top of the engine. They are fairly easy to remove. There are some hex screws on there to but I don't know what they do. Anyway, after taking the 4 bolts out, disconnecting the 4 front wires and taking the harness out of the way it lifts up real easy. This is just to "peak" under there. A few more bolts need to be loosened to remove it all the way (the clamp that holds the hose on that goes to the airbox). Anyhow, i know this cause it is fresh in my mind as I had a starter in and out twice last week.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

You are correct. On '95 and earlier that cover is actually the top half of the intake manifold  . . . .

Ranger,

Thanks for the reply, but . . . .

I think that should read "'94" and earlier. :rolleyes:

Can you run the engine (pre '95) with that cover removed? I've been told you can't. True or . . . . ?

Regards,

Warren :D

P.S. Anybody got some spare acorn nuts? I'm missing two of my nuts. :blink:

Posted Image

Can you run the engine (pre '95) with that cover removed? I've been told you can't. True or . . . . ?

The top cover and the intake are combined on the '93-'94 cars. I suppose you could start the engine with the intake removed but there would be a HUGE vacuum leak and the engine would rev sky-high.

I would never attempt to start the engine with the cover removed oon a '93/'94 Northstar.......

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Never start a 93-94 Northstar with the top of the intake removed!

With the top of the intake removed you have no throttle control, the engine will run wide open and may rapidly destroy itself or cause serious engine damage.

The top of the 93-94 intake manifold is not a decorative piece to just take off and play with. It is the "cap" of the intake plenum. Removing and replacing the top unnecessarily will start to compromise the gasket and will lead to poor sealing, idle and drivability problems.

The "ring" of bolts on the 93-93 intakes are special; in a strong backfire it will allow the intake cover to lift slightly against the rubber isolator pieces on the screws, to relieve pressure, rather than burst the intake manifold.

Unless you are really inspecting for an fuel injector or FPR problem, you should not remove the 93-93 top cover.

Taking off the later model years cover will not hurt for the curious; it is both a beauty cover and a silencer to reduce intake noise, but as noted by others you can start losing parts/nuts.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

You are correct. On '95 and earlier that cover is actually the top half of the intake manifold  . . . .

Ranger,

Thanks for the reply, but . . . .

I think that should read "'94" and earlier. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Warren :D

P.S. Anybody got some spare acorn nuts? I'm missing two of my nuts. :blink:

OOPS, your right Warren, I meant '94 and earlier.

Never start a 93-94 Northstar with the top of the intake removed!

With the top of the intake removed you have no throttle control, the engine will run wide open and may rapidly destroy itself or cause serious engine damage.

Yeah, don't start the engine (94 and earlier) with the aluminum cover off.

Admittedly, early on in my experience with Northstars, I DID turn the engine on with the cover off. Let me tell you... the engine reved up, there was a loud pop, and then the engine stalled. I was worried, but there was no damage since I guess the rev limiters, etc. save the engine from damage.

That was over 40K miles ago, but I never want to do that again.

...Removing and replacing the top unnecessarily will start to compromise the gasket and will lead to poor sealing, idle and drivability problems...Unless you are really inspecting for an fuel injector or FPR problem, you should not remove the 93-93 top cover...

Thank guys: the rule "It works - don't touch it!" worked for me again!

Now I will take it off only if it is really nessesary (may be she's get other 70K without openning it!!!) :lol::lol::lol:

Archived