CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Timesert versus helicoil

Not to start another debait here again but since I´m going to timesert my Northstar this summer (because I have to remove the head to fix the low compression problem on the no 1 cylinder) some questions came up.

I´m going to use timeserts because its proven to be a solid repair but why are they better than the helicoils?

The helicoils have a larger outer diameter than the initial thread (like the timeserts) so they are stronger than the initial ones in that aspect but obviously the don´t work, but why? I meen helicoils are to be used for thread repairs in the rest of the car?

Can I trust helicoil in other applications using steel/aluminium?

Just to make me sleep better tonight ;)

I understand the Helicoils are too short (in length) for the Northstar head bolt thread repair. The Timeserts are the correct (longer) length.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The timeserts are also a continuous piece unlike the helicoils which look like square stock wound around an arbor. The continuous threaded bushing is much stronger than the helicoil.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A Helicoil IS a thread insert, like a Timesert. However, the Timesert is the correct part to use with a Northstar (or even a 4.x) headbolt.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Didn't realize what a helicoil was... Just another name for tapping.

No - a helicoil is a threaded insert.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

What are the specific advantages of TIME-SERT over Helicoil?

The TIME-SERT inserts have a flange, which will give them a positive placement on installation, for “accurate specific depths”. This ensures that the insert does not wind down into the threaded hole. TIME-SERTs are solid bushing and self locking, TIME-SERT being a solid bushing insert gives it added strength. TIME-SERTs have no messy prongs to break off down in the hole which can be a problem in deep holes. TIME-SERTs are self-locking having an actual locking feature which will prevent them coming out when a bolt is removed, again adding to the advantages over coil types. TIME-SERTs are timed internal to external, which give them a thin wall for tight applications but added strength over the coil styles, and can also use loc-tite, if so desired.

See this link

http://www.guzzitech.com/Timesert-ed.html

May I ask an OT idiot question?

A friend has a very old Volvo with a loose spark plug - and the rumor is you don't have to take off the head to use a helicoil. Is this true?

Here's a good pic of why Timeserts are needed on a 4.6 when the head bolts are removed. Had at least three thread failures during removal, three more failed when installing the Timesert jig.

post-3-1116036445_thumb.jpg

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!

The Volvo is up for grabs, and I know a deserving kid with a new baby who needs a car bad . . .

I'm gonna take a shot at it!

B

:P:P:P

Archived