CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No Headlights 1997 Deville

rockfangd

Hi all. Have not had the greatest luck with my Deville this year. 

I went to leave this morning. No headlights. Highs or lows. Headlight switch says they are supposed to be on but nothing worked.

Parking lights all work. I drove the car anyway as the sun was just starting to come up. Halfway to work I turned on the right turn signal and bam they came on. I never even turned the steering wheel...

Tonight I inspected the electrical center and no matter what problem would not reoccur. It is not the ground as that takes out all front lights. I cleaned it again anyway. 

I am at a loss. This is the second time this did this. Same exact issue. I see the C relay for the high/low headlights that seems to be the only one to have both in common.  I am going to order one, but nothing I did made the problem reoccur. 

This car is no stranger to electrical gremlins right from the day I bought it. I resolved everything but this one.

Any insight is much appreciated. Thank You

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

GM Saginaw steering column. The headlight low/high beam switch is mounted on the column. Controlled by a metal rod and the turn signal stalk.

My guess is the switch could be wearing out after 25 years.....maybe got stuck or snagged between low and high beam. 

Use the turn signal stalk.....it let loose enough to reconnect.

Thank you. I actually have one. Not sure as they do not work quite like other saginaw columns. The contact for the lights is not in the switch, believe it triggers the relay to turn on the lights. I will swap it out this weekend

GM FAN FOREVER

• 3 months later...

Another thing that turns the headlights off (not in your case Rockfangd) is a microcrack in the twilight sentinel circuit board. It usually happens on a very humid day. Turning the manual switch on brings them back.   

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I do recall this issue. Not my issue but have come across a handful of them over the years

GM FAN FOREVER