CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hiccup on startup sometimes. 1997 Seville

Hi All.

I have been driving my Seville daily this year and occasionally notice a hiccup on startup. When you try to start the car it will chug like it is going to start. I let off the key but engine did not start. It then takes more than normal cranks to fire it.

Sometimes it will almost pop through the intake when it happens. Once engine is running it runs flawless. Fuel is always non ethanol premium fuel. Fuel mileage is excellent at 22mpg. About 250 miles per week travel.

Fuel pump and filter are fairly new. OE Delco units. I change the filter annually.

Problem seems to occur after sitting for a few hours, but not when started in the morning (first start).

I was leaning toward maybe fuel leaking down... Would I be in the right direction with the fuel pressure regulator?  Or something else. I am sure this has been discussed. 

Thanks for reading

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I had similar conditions, sporadically, on a 2000 Olds Intrigue; saw an occasional chuggle on startup.  My problem was a failing crank position sensor.  Never saw an engine code.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 8:56 PM, rockfangd said:

Hi All.

I have been driving my Seville daily this year and occasionally notice a hiccup on startup. When you try to start the car it will chug like it is going to start. I let off the key but engine did not start. It then takes more than normal cranks to fire it.

Sometimes it will almost pop through the intake when it happens. Once engine is running it runs flawless. Fuel is always non ethanol premium fuel. Fuel mileage is excellent at 22mpg. About 250 miles per week travel.

Fuel pump and filter are fairly new. OE Delco units. I change the filter annually.

Problem seems to occur after sitting for a few hours, but not when started in the morning (first start).

I was leaning toward maybe fuel leaking down... Would I be in the right direction with the fuel pressure regulator?  Or something else. I am sure this has been discussed. 

Thanks for reading

If having a fuel pressure regulator. If it has a vacuum hose, while at idle is take the hose off and see if any fuel comes out and regulator is leaking would need to be replaced

Using a fuel pressure gauge connected to the test port of fuel rail see what the fuel pressure is with key on, engine off, should read at least 35 PSI

Turn key off and see via that gauge if pressure holds or quickly bleeds down showing leak somewhere including fuel injector(s)

Otherwise, need a full OBD-II scanner and see if the problem happens when the engine is in open or closed loop.

If closed then look for how the fuel trims look, is MAP and MAF reporting correctly, etc

I have read about engine runaway warning in the GM truck forums when

you disconnect the vac. line on the FPR so I figured it would apply to

any other GM engine.  

Just a thought...........

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY