CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear suspension help 1997 Seville

Hi All. 

Looking at options for my 97 Seville. I feel like rear suspension needs help yet again. 

I installed Arnott shocks a few years back. Have installed the 3rd suspension compressor in the last 5 years. 

I have not found any leaks but the compressor seems to come on regularly. Honestly the compressor sounds like it is dying again. (just a year old)

I would like to replace the rear springs (Variable I believe) but have yet to change a set on one of these. 

I don't like the way it feels when I go over bumps with the back end. I am also going to check the upper and lower knuckle bushings, but I replaced them about 10 years ago and they have been tight since. Any insight here?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Well Tomorrow I need to get a little better look at the back end.

I tested the knuckle bushings and the right rear knocks a little bit. I probably changed them 10 years ago. 

I am going to order the springs for it. After all they are 25 years old. 

FSM shows to remove lower shock bolt, lower stabilizer, support rear of control arm, remove rear control arm bolts, slowly lower rear of control arm to relieve spring compression, remove spring.

Assembly is reverse.

I also have to look at the upper control arm bushings though as I have been monitoring one that has the rubber splitting.  I have a set that I purchased (used) a few years back. 

So it looks like I have to get a few things done before any long trips

GM FAN FOREVER

So today I ripped RR apart. 

I replaced the upper control arm due to bad inner bushings. Was not easy like the FSM made it seem. The control arm has to come up over the shock tower. But there is not enough room. You can see the dent in the wheel well. Makes me sad. I coated it to prevent rusting.

Having pulled the knuckle I may not have rebushed it yet... I have done every other one, but maybe not this one. I have them ordered, Upper has play. I always get the poly set.

0613211504c.jpg

0613211504b.jpg

0613211504a.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Well. Its all back together. Tired me out today.

Had to put a left rear caliper as well. Brake was not hanging up but piston would not retract. 

New springs were almost 2" taller. I was able to pull old ones out without compressing them. New ones would not go without compressing them a bit. Not very fun getting them into their spots.

Car sits high for the time being until hopefully the springs settle. 

I took it for a drive but the air ride did not inflate the shocks. (suspension too high). I am hoping by tomorrow it might. I wish there was a way to manually cycle the compressor like on my 96.

Overall job went well. Will post ride results after about a month.

I had done the knuckle bushings awhile ago. I replaced them again anyway. Left was still pretty good, right upper was loose

GM FAN FOREVER

• 3 weeks later...

Well after 800 miles in the last week I have to say I am very impressed with the handling after replacing the springs.

The suspension has settled, but still rides higher empty. The important thing to note here is that before the springs were replaced Ride height was relied upon the air shocks. It would cycle quite a bit, even when unloaded...

Now I barely hear it, ride height loaded (somewhere around 550 lbs) Rides level. 

There is no more riding low in the rear. 

I do have one thing I have to look further into though... It seems to have a slight sideways bounce depending on certain bumps, Before and after spring replacement. 

But overall I am most impressed with my results

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 months later...

Could use some opinions here. 

I seem to have an issue. I put this together over 3 months ago. I was hoping the suspension would settle. It has not. Still sits high. I am afraid  I ditched the old springs. Ride quality is alot better with everything new, but it just sits too high. I don't think it has settled at all since the install. 

I really want to get the alignment done but I want to make sure it is right. I have put 3k miles on it so far. Anyone?

GM FAN FOREVER

Not much you can do at this point.

As long as it rides good and no other issues I wouldnt bother with it.

You have a pic as the car sits now?

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

I think you have the GM service manual. Factory manual does talk about measuring the ride height of both the front and rear......and what the correct ballpark # should be. 

I think you measure from flat pavement to the top of the sheet metal arch. Not sure exactly what you do if you have skirts. 

I don't have a 1997 manual.  

Update......Had some time today.....this is from 1994 manual......should be pretty close if not the same. 

Full tank of gas....jounce the suspension 3-4 times....+/- 10mm spec.

I guess brand of tire would have some impact too.....STS vs Seville also. 

Kind of hard to find in manual. They call it 'trim height'......it's under 'Suspension diagnosis'

sevillerideheight.jpg