CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bought a 2017 Cadillac Escalade Luxury not even 2 weeks ago, now the check engine light has been coming and off for less than a week.  Took it to Oreily's auto parts to test any codes but the kid said the scanner wouldnt work or hook up correctly.  So took it across the street to a Cadillac dealership (NOT WHERE I BOUGHT IT) thinking they may be more familiar.  As I stood there they too could not get the code reader to hook up to my port, they said my port seems to be a bit smaller than "normal " ports but as I told them its a 16 port like normal ones but they said the scanner plug will not fit securely onto my car onboard port.  There seems to be some kind of "extended" wires running behind my on board port the kid lol at Oreily's thought some after market thing but he had no clue.  Have an appointment at dealership I purchased vehicle tomorrow morning, not happy and not sure if covered under warranty.  Any thoughts what could be the reason why no scanner will hook up?  And what is deal with this "extended" wires?   Been googling and googling my issue but cant find anything of my issue.   Not sure how to post pictures on here otherwise I would take pictures of the wires and ports.

I am interested in this story.  Can you post an image of the port and the wiring that has been added?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

7 minutes ago, Bruce Nunnally said:

I am interested in this story.  Can you post an image of the port and the wiring that has been added?

Hello Bruce and thank your responding.  I tried add files but photos are too large it keeps telling me, so created a link but when I copied into option on here nothing happens.  Here's a link to one of the pictures not sure it will work sending it this way, https://photos.app.goo.gl/mDxpf84UbUwr4mgQ8 

1 minute ago, Melissa said:

Hello Bruce and thank your responding.  I tried add files but photos are too large it keeps telling me, so created a link but when I copied into option on here nothing happens.  Here's a link to one of the pictures not sure it will work sending it this way, https://photos.app.goo.gl/mDxpf84UbUwr4mgQ8 

Here is another link to another view https://photos.app.goo.gl/emPqDJuUsxpdAeyt5

I wonder if that is an aftermarket dongle or some sort that is attached to the actual port, which is plugged into the other end of this pony tail?  If that is the case, it may simply need unplugging the aftermarket cable and putting the standard port back into place.

It certainly looks like an aftermarket addition but I am not sure to what end.  At first I was guessing it is an engine tuning override of some sort.

Bruce

5 minutes ago, Bruce Nunnally said:

I wonder if that is an aftermarket dongle or some sort that is attached to the actual port, which is plugged into the other end of this pony tail?  If that is the case, it may simply need unplugging the aftermarket cable and putting the standard port back into place.

It certainly looks like an aftermarket addition but I am not sure to what end.  At first I was guessing it is an engine tuning override of some sort

Why on earth would this need to be installed.....?  If or dealership removes this after market contrapment would that cause issues, if knows to my vehicle?  I wonder if the dealership installed this, if so why?  Oh my gosh now im even more worried, ugh! I still dont understand why the 16 hole port which is what is required for any OBD 2 scanner to hook up too, neither worked at a Cadillac dealership or Oreily's?   I know im asking a handful of questions here, im just confused an concerned what they may tell me tomorrow.  Or how much this will cost!

I wonder if the regular connector has this cable plugged into it with this port exposed, and that cable just needs to be unplugged to display the standard port?

Bruce

I wonder if the regular connector has this cable plugged into it with this port exposed, and that cable just needs to be unplugged to display the standard port?

3 minutes ago, Melissa said:

Why on earth would this need to be installed.....?  If or dealership removes this after market contrapment would that cause issues, if known to my vehicle?  I wonder if the dealership installed this, if so why?  Oh my gosh now im even more worried, ugh! I still dont understand why the 16 hole port which is what is required for any OBD 2 scanner to hook up too, neither worked at a Cadillac dealership or Oreily's?   I know im asking a handful of questions here, im just confused an concerned what they may tell me tomorrow.  Or how much this will cost!

Thats kinda what the Cadillac dealership said disconnecting the two yesterday but because I just bought this and not from their dealership they said be best to take it to dealership you bought it they im sure wont charge me, yeah im sure they will.   I sure do appreciate your responses and time helping me crack this issue.  Im definitely nervous what their do or find tomorrow.  Since I had the vehicle and when check engine light has been on thankfully running ok, notice nothing different at all driving. 

I could be wrong....

Looks like some brand of 'hardwired' OBD2 GPS tracking device. 

Some dealers install these under 'risk management'. 

Miss a payment and they can find the car.

It may have been part of the paper work......sign this....sign this....and sign this etc.

Then again.....could be something else going on.

gps.JPG

Logan is dead correct 

Being that it is a 2017 rather than new it is probably a lease return vehicle or a service fleet vehicle.

Some dealers required these for internal lease and some lenders used this as well.

Also Progressive and another insurance company often put these in for a discount.

If you own the vehicle take the dongle out

As far as the codes read the section on OnStar https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2017/Chevrolet/Suburban/2017-chevrolet-tahoe-suburban-owners-manual.pdf page 441

You can follow the instructions to get an email message of the issues while on the trial period since you bought from dealer OnStar trial is part of standard marketing package you paid for.