CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 Fleetwood Interior lights always on??

Hello All,
I am having a problem with my 95 Fleetwood.
The interior lights stay on when I park the car, usually
they go out after 25 seconds. When I turn the key
to run they stay on ....I turn off the ignition they remain on ...
I need to disconnect the battery in order for them to turn off
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thank you

Usually where the dashboard dimmer is, if it is turned past its brightest point the interior lights come on.  Ill see if our resident Fleetwood expert knows > @KHE

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

When the battery is connected, do the lights remain off or do they come back on?

There could be an issue with the switch on the dash or one of the switches in each door that causes the body control module to think there is a door open.  Is the "DOOR AJAR" light illuminated?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE

I replaced a 20 AMP fuse for the cig lighter.

I believe the lights remained off when I connected the battery. I started the car and the lights came on and stayed  on. I locked and unlocked the car with the key fob. Lights remained on. They go off after about 10 minutes....

I am charging the Battery at the moment  .....

I will try again tomorrow afternoon and give the details like the door ajar light. 

Do the roof lights have there own switch? 

The lights on the headliner are switched on and off by pushing the textured portion of the lens.

The exact symptoms you are experiencing are outlined in the service manual: All courtesy lamps and roof rail lamps stay ON with ignition in RUN or 10 minutes with the key off.  The information below is from the 1993 shop manual - your car might be slightly different since it is a 1995 but I think the main differences were in the engine and transmission.

Check: Circuits 156, 157, 158 and 159 for a short to ground.  Also check for shorted front door key tamper and rear deck lid tamper switches.  Circuit 158 is the black wire from the central control module (CCM) to the headlight switch.  The CCM is in the trunk behind the rear seat.  Circuit 157 is the grey wire between the CCM and the mini wedge switches in each of the four doors.  They control the DOOR AJAR light, illuminated entry, and the courtesy lights.

Circuit 156 would be the white wire from each door key tamper switch and trunk key tamper switch to the door mini wedge switches.  Circuit 159 is a grey wire from the CCM to the door mini wedge switches.

An easy way to isolate the problem is to unplug one switch at a time and see if the problem goes away.  Once you find the circuit that is causing the problem, you can then inspect the wires for a short to ground or substitute another switch to see if the switch is bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin,

Very good that gives me a project to work on .....

This is my first Caddy ...... So bear with me....  

Somebody has been working in here..... I can tell by the broken fuse panel cover .... jumper cables......mangled battery terminals...and hanging door card...

I be giving it much deserved love....

I ordered the factory shop manuals as well.

Thank you for telling me about pushing the lens ..... I was looking at them cross-eyed.... now I know better...

BTW The fuse I replaced was number 29 (RR CIG).  I also noticed that the small white terminal for the trunk key tamper switch was in fact plugged into the harness however the tethered line  was cut away from the trunk lock.

I have a two other big jobs ahead of this one. I should get at it by Sunday 

Thank you Much Appreciated...

Capture11.JPG

Glad to help out.  The Fleetwood Broughams are great cars - they'll never build another car like them.

I'd start at the trunk tamper switch - make sure the wire is not shorted out.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It appears that there are two wires going to the white terminal for the trunk key tamper switch. Does the white dongle make or break contact with the two wires. in normal position.

Thank you again Kevin

It sounds like you are in good hands @Anthony C. You ordered the factory service manual good for you.  Down the road you might find a Corvette ram air intake for that LT1 5.7 😉, Iv seen it done.  Ill look through my photos, and see if I can find it

Welcome aboard, where are you located

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ah Ha!!!!!   ( Circuit 156 would be the white wire from each door key tamper switch and trunk key tamper switch to the door mini wedge switches. ) 

It seems the trunk key tamper switch is at fault....

The tether to the trunk lock was cut or broken off. 

I get a reading of 0.3 Ohms between the two terminals. and a reading of 0.6 Ohms from each terminal to the tether line. I assume it should be open.

because after I unplugged it the lights turned off as they should. 

BTW Im located in south Jersey .....

Thank you ..... KHE and BodybyFisher

The next issue is no heat. Two thinks I noticed. a Leak in the radiator and the heater hoses are not hot one is warm and one not so much. 

Seems like a clogged heater core or a heater control valve. Not sure where the valve is located ....

The blower is working however I don't get hot air blowing out the vents......The defrost seems to be working just fine...

So I will be ordering parts today from Rock Auto filters, belt, tensioner, and radiator ..... Any advise on parts?

I was looking at the water pump and the Distributor cap....?? OK ............Whos idea was it? 

Capture7.JPG

On 2/2/2020 at 9:12 AM, Anthony C said:

Ah Ha!!!!!   ( Circuit 156 would be the white wire from each door key tamper switch and trunk key tamper switch to the door mini wedge switches. ) 

It seems the trunk key tamper switch is at fault....

The tether to the trunk lock was cut or broken off. 

I get a reading of 0.3 Ohms between the two terminals. and a reading of 0.6 Ohms from each terminal to the tether line. I assume it should be open.

because after I unplugged it the lights turned off as they should. 

BTW Im located in south Jersey .....

Thank you ..... KHE and BodybyFisher

The next issue is no heat. Two thinks I noticed. a Leak in the radiator and the heater hoses are not hot one is warm and one not so much. 

Seems like a clogged heater core or a heater control valve. Not sure where the valve is located ....

The blower is working however I don't get hot air blowing out the vents......The defrost seems to be working just fine...

So I will be ordering parts today from Rock Auto filters, belt, tensioner, and radiator ..... Any advise on parts?

I was looking at the water pump and the Distributor cap....?? OK ............Whos idea was it? 

Capture7.JPG

I am glad you figured this out.  I saw your heat problem it looks like you are getting good info.   I am originally from Philadelphia, and spent the first 21 summers of my life in the Wildwood / Cape May area, love it there and need a road trip to Cape May asap.   I can tell you are going to enjoy your factory service manual, I take mine to bed with me, 😀, wife thinks I am a nut, and she is right @Anthony C   I had a 96 Deville that I did a ton of work to, I wish I didn't need to let it go