CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolent Pooring out back of engine

Matt

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning all. So far this am I had to call for a part number for the TCC O-Ring. I gave Brogan a shot and they failed. I explained to the guy what I needed and he put me on hold, he came back and said he cant find what i'm looking for and said he has to take another call ,sorry. He then hung up.... Mike or Bob I need the P/N for the TCC, O - Ring and the cooling line O-Rings at the oil filter adapter and radiator. And maybe even so I can double check part numbers the Tork converter to trans seal P/N. Thanks

Thats OK Mike.. It's tough this AM. I'm not feeling well, something is not right but I have to find this info. It may be an early day for me.

Hi Mike, I did call Brogan in Totowa. The guy said he cant find the P/N and hung up. Nice guy.. I just called my local transmission shop for part numbers for the Tcc o-ring. The guy stoped and said that there is no Tcc O ring, just the tork converter to trans seal. My parts guy just called and said he is bringing that one over right now. I still need the cooling tube o-ring Part Numbers. Do you know if there is No tcc o-ring???

Hi Mike, I did call Brogan in Totowa. The guy said he cant find the P/N and hung up. Nice guy.. I just called my local transmission shop for part numbers for the Tcc o-ring. The guy stoped and said that there is no Tcc O ring, just the tork converter to trans seal. My parts guy just called and said he is bringing that one over right now. I still need the cooling tube o-ring Part Numbers. Do you know if there is No tcc o-ring???

I know nothing about the TCC o-rings, the dealer should have the oil cooler o-rings on the shelf

Ok , I made some head way. I now have the P/n for the" TCC Solinoid Valve Seal" and the P/n for the cooling line seals. Research and the will to find helps much. I gave them to my parts dealer and I hope he can get them. He has the trans to tork converter seal in his hand.. Later....

Matt & Scotty,

There is a chance that the 4T60 does not require a "TCC seal". The proper term is "seal, turboshaft". I tried to look it up on my Caddy parts micro fiche & I came up blank.

I looked at the 4T80 parts list and there IS a "seal, turboshft" for that transmission. But I could not find one for the 4T60.

4T60 transmission for 4.9

4T80 transmission for Northstar

I am basically familiar with the 4T80, but not the 4T60.

Matt, I am sorry for the confusion on my part. :( But, just to be sure, ask you parts guy if the 4T60 requires a "turboshaft seal" like the 4T80. If not, you are home free. :)

Anyway, I was trying to make sure that you didn't overlook something & then had to pull the engine a second time.

Good luck with your swap.

Britt

Britt

Thanks much for the info. My parts guy located the Cooling Tube O-Rings but was having trouble with the TCC seal. I gave him the info you have and he will look more. Note / an earlyer phone call to my local Transmission Shop was made. The fellow said there is no TCC seal, only the tork converter to trans seal. I have been double checking this mans info. This seems to coraspond to what you are saying Britt. Do you think this is so now with this more info??? Thanks

Matt,

I have looked in my 1993 Seville Service Manual. For transmission 4T60-E, on Page 7A-5B-49. In Figure 85 there is an "O" ring depicted in a box labeled "converter side". It points to an item labled as "520". The key lists "520" as "SEAL, O-RING (TURBINE SHAFT /HUB) GREEN."

I went back to the parts microfiche and looked again. Item 520 is listed. Item 520 is called out as Delco # 8662686.

When you pull the torque off the trans, there should be an "O" ring on the smaller splined shaft, according to the manual.

I would say the item # 520 should be changed along with the torque convertor seal.

Mike, if you have the 1993 manual, could you scan and post the page that I am refering to?

Britt

Britt

Work is crazy and I'm not feeling well today. Thanks for the additional info, I fed the Delco part number to my parts dealer and am waiting for him to call me. Plus we mechanics here at work have been rescueing a bunch of kittens on the property. We just found the last one abandoned by it mom and it is now in a box in my shop. We have another mechanic who will give it a home. So it's been crazy here. I'm very bad when it comes to little creatures. My heart goes to them and I do what I can to help.... I'm just that way... UPDATE=== My parts guy just called, he located the "SEAL, O-RING (TURBINE SHAFT /HUB) GREEN." All is well. I want to thank you Britt for your help...

Ok, Thats it. BOX O PARTS is complete. My Buddy is coming here to pick it up Monday AM to get it. He will not be in Saturday.. I need to rest now. Am going home at 10 1/2 hrs today. That's enough for me. See ya all later....

******************************UP-DATE*********************************

I was on the way back to my shop late this afternoon after visiting a customer and took a chance my friend was still at the shop ware my car is. I got there just before they locked up the receiving department. So at least I got to see my new engine today. I visited with the 4.9 for a wile and gave her the once over twice. Everything looked very nice and indeed 60K must be all that is on it. I wish my camara is the type I could keep with me all day but it's a Digital SLR type and just to big and valueable to tote all the time, and GOSH dang it I just got rid of my I730 camara phone for a ruged i315. I looked it over from every angle and the only thing I have to do is clean out the throttle body. My original 4.9L had 100K pluss and that throttle body was golden compared to this one. My gosh the crud build up in the new one is massive. Now I have to figure out how to clean this up with out flushing the crud into the intake and fowling out my new Platinum Plugs. First I thought I would rig up a special attachment for the shop vacume and scrape it and vac it at the same time. I think maybe better is to soak a rag in that sensor safe cleaner and let the rag soak inside for a wile and then pull it out. If I do that all day maybe I can get it good and clean. As far as the EGR Delivery tubes go I am just a bit uncomfortable rodding them through. If I brake off and large deposits it will go into the combustion chamber I think. I am uncomfortable with that and the thought that may mess up a new plug. The rest will have to be tooth brushed very good to complete the job. Then of corse the Re-Learn and see what happens. My friends shop may not take the time to do it my way and I just do not want that crud flushed into the engine. You know, the only wierd thing was that the engine seems bigger when in the car. Leaning over it on the floor made it seem very small. It was a strange feeling. Please comment on me cleaning the intake up, I would appreciate all help, especially with the EGR Tubes. One more question on the GM,EOS. After filling the oil to the dipstick line I add the can of EOS? That extra level will not hurt anything? Then should I change the oil in a few hundred miles or go longer? ***Mike, Thanks for finding this engine.***

Matt,

Re: EOS I think you substitute 1 qt. EOS for 1 qt. of oil. Also be carefull "scrapping" the TB. It is aluminum. You don't want to gouge it and raise a bur that may catch the throttle plate.

Hey Ranger. Yes, that is why I thought my second idea will be better. I should soak a rag in cleaner and put it down in there like all day on and off to soak all the crud out. The real tough build up in on the bottom of the throttle body.But what do I do about those EGR Delivery tubes? OK on exchanging one Qt of oil for the EOS. I was not sure what to do there. Thanks for the time.....

Matt I have had good luck with removing the throttle body and cleaning it on a bench.... I have used GM upper engine cleaner, a tooth brush and my dremel with a brass brush to clean the TB.... Do the best you can, and hit it again in a month...Larry is right be careful not to damage it... Use a new TB gasket

As far as the EGR ports, I have sprayed carb cleaner down them, and wire brushed the EGR ports with a small wire brush, PULLED off the EGR and put a rag over the ports and used compressed air to BLOW out the debris and excess carb cleaner...They were clean as a whistle...

So Matt, besides the TB, the engine looks good?

I think if you try soaking the TB for a day the solvent will evaporate and dry out before you get to it and you'll be right back where you started. I think you're just gonna have to spray and scrub.

As for the EGR tubes, I'd just rod them suckers out. If your worried about what goes down the tube, have a shop vac handy and vacuum it out as you go.

Ahhhh, removing the Throttle Body. Now that is a good idea Mike. I have to look at it with that in mind. Hey Mike, the engine looks good. I cant wait to feel it move the car. Hmm, My girlfriend is out food shopping so I can say this. It will be better then sex. LOL. I want to see if I can feel a difference in power. As far as cleaning the gunk out I thought i would keep a rag soaking in there and just keep refreshing the rag like every 15 min or so and try to get it all out. Ranger, I was not going to let it soak all day, I was going to keep at it till it was clean, I may just remove it now and clean it out. As far as the EGR tubes go, maybe that will work with the shop vac. Do ya think a shop vac will suck out junk if it falls down the tubes?? I may try that. I'm just worried about fowling up the new platnium plugs. ---------- Edit--------- Ahhhh, so the EGR tubes leed to the EGR valve, Now I see. So they do not feed the combustion chamber. So I will not hurt the plugs from crud.. I got it now mike. Now I understand how to do it with the EGR tubes. COOL.. So YES, besides that, the engine looks good. I really wish I had a camara with me. This is stuff you want to remember forever. At least I'm that way. Everything is real nice and will clean up easy when i finally get back to cleaning the engine compartment. If I did not have to work i would have had a blast preping the compartment for the new engine.

Ahhhh,  removing the Throttle Body. Now that is a good idea Mike. I have to look at it with that in mind.  Hey Mike, the engine looks good. I cant wait to feel it move the car. Hmm, My girlfriend is out food shopping so I can say this. It will be better then sex. LOL.  I want to see if I can feel a difference in power. As far as cleaning the gunk out I thought i would keep a rag soaking in there and just keep refreshing the rag like every 15 min or so and try to get it all out.  Ranger, I was not going to let it soak all day, I was going to keep at it till it was clean, I may just remove it now and clean it out.  As far as the EGR tubes go, maybe that will work with the shop vac. Do ya think a shop vac will suck out junk if it falls down the tubes?? I may try that. I'm just worried about fowling up the new platnium plugs.

Don't worry about it, just do your best to clean out the mo fo..... the first time you clean it, its going to be a *smurf*, then just clean it every other oil change, hold the TB open and clean the rear with O2 safe carb cleaner and a stiff tooth brush.. I have used a shop vac, BUT, those tubes are the SAME tubes that are under the EGR, so, I found it MUCH easier to remove the EGR, clean the EGR, and blow out the tubes with compressed air, but a shop vac sucks good so that will work, but only in my opinion if you have the egr off. The first time will be time consuming subsequently it will be easier. I would NOT do this before you install the engine, that is not important now. The first time I cleaned my TB I found taking it off was easier as I could get to the rear easy....

Better than sex? I LOVE my Caddy, its not better than sex yet (close), but its JUST as complicated.... :lol:

Well, if you are going to pull the TB, then you may be able to soak in in a bucket of solvent.

Yeah, I think a shop vac would work great. You can even neck down the nozzle if you want to by duct taping a heater hose to the nozzle. I don't think any carbon getting in the intake would do any harm. The carbon is not that hard and would just get passed through. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

I edited my second to last post, check it out. I also saw you guys last post. I got it. Ok ya got me there, maybe not better then sex but , well, engines and cars= darn close.JUST as complicated for sure.

Matt,

The EGR tubes DO feed the combustion chamber. EGR = Eghaust Gas Recirculation. Exhaust gasses are recirculated back into the induction system and reburned.

Ok Ranger I was confused but I understand better now. Hmmmm. What is that old saying? " It is better to remain silent and thought ignorant then to speek and remove all dought". The only problem with that is you remain ignorant and do not learn. Thanks...

Archived