CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolent Pooring out back of engine

Matt

Hello Matt,

Just a word of caution with carb cleaner & shop vacs. :huh: Flammable cleaner plus air + Spark from vacuum's electric motor motor CAN equal KA-BOOM. :ph34r: BE CAREFUL

If you soak the throttle body in cleaner, be sure to remove the throttle position switch.

If you other throttle body is in good shape, clean and no worn shaft bushings, it may be easier to switch it out.

If you don't have to return your old engine for a core, you may want to keep the throttle body, injectors, starter & any other items that can be easily removed.

Take Care

Hope that you get on the road soon.

Britt

Britt

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok Ranger I was confused but I understand better now. Hmmmm.   What is that old saying?  " It is better to remain silent and thought ignorant then to speek and remove all dought".     The only problem with that is you remain ignorant and do not learn.   Thanks...

Feel free to ask any questions whether or not you feel they are silly or not. I can not tell you how much I have learned doing that. We all have our areas of expertise, our own experiences and we all think differently. I was just looking at another thread by Bob Caddy (steering), he was complaining about pulling, and I immediately jumped on alignment, WHY?, because I recently had a problem with alignment, BUT it could have been as simple as low air in the tires or as Larry pointed out, a grabbing caliper. Everytime I knee jerk I learn to think things through more carefully, so my learning continues...

The only bad question is the one not asked.... this is the way we all learn...

Well Thanks Mike, that's why I like hanging out here. Everyone is forgiving and that make it fun to learn here. No one complains about my spelling either. I saw that post to about his car pulling to the right. When you jumped right into alighnment I was thinking low air pressure but was embarrassed to mention something so simple. Also thanks to Navion- Flammable cleaner plus air + Spark from vacuum's electric motor motor CAN equal KA-BOOM. BE CAREFUL Yes that would be very interesting to see the shop vac land on the shop roof. LOL . I will be carefull.

Jump in next time with the low air suggestion! :lol:

Hey it hurts to be smacked down, but I have been smacked down by the best of them, Guru, Larry, Kevin, Bob D, Jim, Jason, you just have to take the licking and get back on the bike! I learn quite a bit, and have tried to teach myself to think things through and NOT to knee-jerk... Everytime I knee-jerk, I blow it... :lol:

I have tried to apply K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid).... alignment in that case was not KISS.... air was! :lol: and even more focused was Larry with the caliper grabbing....

Mike,

Don't take anything I have ever said as a smack down. If I chime in it is just a correction if I know it to be wrong or my $0.02 (just another opinion). BTW, I have knee jerked a few times myself and have been corrected and/or embarassed.

Mike,

Don't take anything I have ever said as a smack down. If I chime in it is just a correction if I know it to be wrong or my $0.02 (just another opinion). BTW, I have knee jerked a few times myself and have been corrected and/or embarassed.

Not at all Larry I don't take it like was a smack down at all from you or anyone.

In my mind, its a smack down as I f'd up by knee jerking, its embarrising to overlook the more obvious things sometimes.. I don't take it personal, in my mind I BLEW it and its humbling when you get set straight, its all in the learning process. I try not to blurt out the first thing that comes to my mind, and when I do, its usually OFF, thanks, Larry...

There is a way of thinking that is called brainstorming, where participants throw out ideas...... and we tend to do that here sometimes, it starts broad, and we hone in on the bulls eye..... However when I am TOO broad.... :blink:

That's what is so great about this board. One guy can't or is not likely to think of everything and what one misses, someone else will hit upon. Even the great one himself has missed something once or twice (that just brings him down to a mortal level :lol: )

Well Guys I'm one day closer now to getting my machine back on the road. I remember when this all started, boy was I sick over it. It's not over yet so I do not want to say to much and ruin anything. It was a good day, I'm glad you guys were around, Thanks. Also thanks for the positive words about posting here. I got a lot of info here today. I picked up good info on my car stereo this AM. Now I'm hitting the sack, I think Dar is fast asleep. She is off Tuesdays and is ordering me a new rear seat protector from Cabellas for my dog. My lab Zac, is here by my side waiting to go out. I will check here first thing in the Am from work like I do all the time. Take care all. Good Night.

Here is the latest. Due to family emergency my buddy is closeing his shop till next week. Looks like I will not get my car till end of next week now. I'm sorry for his troubles and still I want my car. Again I feel bad for him but I'm pissed as hell................................

Matt,

Does your buddy have a shop manual for your car? I have a 1993 power train manual that I could loan you. Just pay the shipping to you & back.

Let me know.

Britt

Britt

This is a REALLY interesting thread!

Hats off to Mike and his engine connection. ;) So cool to know that we can even get hooked up with something as major as an engine replacement through caddyinfo!

Matt: Keep us all informed and good luck. It'll all work out. And thank you for all that I have learned about my 4.9 via this thread.

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Just now nearing the end of my day I thought I would check in. I agree, Hats Off to mike and Bob and all that put there two cents in to help. I would have been held up so much longer if it were not for you guys. You should have heard the info I got the first day when I was at the mercy of a local mechanic whom I'v known for years. Any way, as far as the manual goes I'm sure my friend does not need it, nor I because I can not even get in by my car now.The only thing watching it are the camaras and ADT and the dogs and some guy with a shot gun. LOL. Just kidding- or am I?? My friend will be back on Monday and we can resume work then. I'm glad some learned a few things by all this.I learned so much myself it's incrediable. I wish I did not clutter up the board the way I have with all these posts. I also wish I could spell better but among friends I don't care to much to check my self. To those in charge I am very sorry about that. I know it's important to condense but when your mind is realing it's very hard to. I hung out here a long time last night reading so many different things. Soon I hope to get this show back on the road. So for now everyone take care. I will check in later on. Matt

Hi All. This Friday will be two weeks with out my car. This rat pick up truck I'm borrowing from work is the pits to. It looks to be till the end of next week before I get my ride back. Three Weeks, man o man. This really draws vacume!!!! Later guys..

GUYS........Another soul on the Edmunds.com board has a 00 DeVille

with the hole eaten in the head/manifold deal.

Have directed him here for help...............TIA..........geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

GUYS..............There has been a few responses elsewhere............

1 poster says Caddy dealers have known of this problem

for a while and the quick repair is a "patch" of JB weld or

some other goop !

Yes..NO.....???????? Comments..............

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Hi Matt,

Any update on your engine swap? We sure would like to see pictures of the problem area on your old engine.

Hopefully you can be back on the road by this weekend.

Britt

Britt

Hey Guys. I'v just checked in and saw a bit of activity on my post. I'm sorry to hear about someone else with the same problem. With mine a bit of JB - Weld patch was not going to fix anything because some how coolent was getting into one of the combustion chambers as well as leeking out the block between the trans and engine. If you can get these poor souls to come here and ask questions it will be the best thing any one could ever do for them. I would have been lost with out this board. It's possible I would have sold the car rather then spend the thousands the rip off dealers would have had me spend. That thought makes me sick to have to give up my Seville. The aprox. cost of engine replacement and misc. parts will be around 1600.00 far from the 4500.00 to do a repair the dealers were talking about. Of corse that would have changed and become more when the dealer called me to tell me I need a brand new engine that this one was not repairable. Yes, they new about the problem but did not tell me exactly what it was at first. They rather wanted to get me in and then spring it on me later when there was no engine in the frame and I had no other choices but to go with what they say. I am stuck with work dutys now and am unable to go see my car in the shop by my buddy. I have been away and am going on day trips for my job and have not had time to even get on here the last few days. I was on via cell phone - modem a few days ago to tell about an analizer I thought was cool. I'm going to make a post next about that and more help from this board. I hope to get some pics, I hope even more to get the old engine to my shop and tear it apart. I will keep all informed. Take her easy guys!

YES, pictures . . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Just an up date. I'm going away till Sunday for work. I will check in if I can in the mean time. My girlfriend will be home and call me if she hears anything about my car. My buddy has his man on it wile he is making final arrangements. I have no luck with timeing. I did not want to be away so much but a I can not help it. Check in soon. Matt.

Hi to All. I got in early this Sunday AM. Boy I'm tired from all the driving, this pick up is the pits. There was word left with my girl that my Seville is ready to be picked up and a phone number of my friends man who did the work. My buddy told him if I get in over the weekend he is to let me in the shop to get my car. I have GOOD news and BAD news and more BAD news. Well the good was that the car is done. The bad is that I am getting a run around as to ware in hell my old engine is out in the yard. There are things I wanted from it, like pictures, injectors, all electrical plugs. To shorten this up, everything but the block. I want to see the hole!!!!!!! I told this guy, it's my engine and he better come up with it. He said he hopes it did not go out on the junk truck to the scrap yard. I told him to give me a list of the scrap yards they deal with. He is pulling something I'm sure. I will go back there on Monday after work. Ok, so how is the engine?? Well it's 4:30 and I drove it for a few hours, earlyer. I drove and stoped and lifted the hood and drove more. This went on for hours. More bad news. All started out fine but now there is a coolent leek , I chcked it out good and have determined it's the water pump. There is coolent coming out from the water pump plate just above the balancer. Its a pretty good drip, constant and flowing. I can't see the exact spot but I'm thinking maybe there is a weep hole or something or just the gasket is bad. At any rate I'm not going to take all that apart and only replace a gasket, might as well put in a new pump. It stinks, I put in all those other parts but not a water pump. I checked the bolts on the plate but they are tight. The next problem is with the distributor. This is something I never saw before. The distributor is shaking, The bolt that holds it in place is tight and the cap screws are tight but if you look at the cap wile it's runing you can see it shaking back and forth. The top of the distributor is shaking back and forth. How much? I would guess about a 32nd of an inch. This may be the reason for the rough idle?? The idle is hunting, from about 800 to 600 and varying as you drive. It's not smooth at all. The other thing is the engine started to run like it was super rich, there was big idle hunting 4 or 500 rpm difference and almost shut down. It was very rich out of the exhaust. This lasted for a few miniuts till I got home. I opened the hood and looked all over for about 5 miniuts then restarted it and it was smooth again. Also NO CODES. I ran out for a quick ride an hour or so later and it happened again after about 15 min of driving. I pulled over sut it down for a min and restarted and it was fine and was fine for over a half hour till I got home again. Again NO CODES. So on Monday I will buy a water pump. On tuesday I will take a vacation day, but go to my shop and put it in. I never did one on a motor like this one. I took all sorts of pictures and put them in my laptop so I can refer back to them if any problems come up. It looks pretty scary to do but I want to try it my self. I'm going to go look at it some more now. So this was my report. One that many were waiting for. I want to get all the bugs worked out and I want to see my old engine, as many want to see. The stress is building again. Be back later on. Matt

Matt,

It sounds like the distributor shaft is bent, which means probably that the distributor housing is broken below the flange that is clamped to the block. It probably happened during the removal/transportation/installation of the engine in your car. IF <_< you find your old engine, (and the distributor isn't destroyed on it too), you can transfer it to your new engine. It will have to be changed, and SOON!

I wouldn't drive it until those two items are fixed. (Except to get it to the shop.) ;)

The waterpump leaking is a normal occurance for an engine that has sat around for a while with no coolant to keep the seal wet. All you can do now is change it. It is not too bad a job, just a little tedious & a little tight. Get a new GM pump, not a rebuilt.

As for your old engine, it is still your property! The shop, even if it is your buddies, has no right to dispose of your property without your permission!

A whole bunch of us are going to be disappointed if if you cannot find it. :angry:

Like you say, there are a whole bunch of parts that you can salvage. I would get the distributor, plugs, idlers, injectors & throttle body, ISC motor, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator,MAP sensor, TP sensor, ECT sensor, IAT sensor, & anything else that you can think of. Infact, I would keep the whole thing for a month or so until you are satisfied that you don't need anything.

The bent distributor shaft concerns me. The tech that installed the engine must be blind, or he would have noticed that. :huh:

As for the waterpump, I wish that we had mentioned that for inclusion in your "Box-O-Parts. I didn't think of it. ( I should have, as I had to replace the waterpump on my 94's N* after replacing it's engine.) <_<

Anyway, you are well on the way to getting your ride back in shape! :P

Let us know how it all turns out.

INSIST :angry: on getting your old engine back!!

Britt

Britt

You need that old engine, I am shocked that they did not keep it for you to strip and look over. Plus how the heck does he deliver an engine that is leaking and not running correctly... hopefully you will get this straightened out. Good Luck, Mike

I agree exactly on what you are saying about my old engine. Thanks for your openion about the distributor and water pump. I will do the water pump first on Tuesday. On monday I will be calling my friends shop and tell them I want MY old distributor from My old engine, or they better come up with one for me. I bet if they do it will be from my engine. My buddy left his mechanic in charge of the shop wile he is away. I have some pretty bad feelings about this whole thing. I have no proof but with out seeing the old engine I am wondering if it was something like a bore plug or something stupid that was leeking coolent. I wonder if then the engine was switched and they fixed and held onto or sold the old one( my original) . I'm getting very mad about all of this. Let me say, friend or not, if I find out anything took place that was not right I'm going to call the authorities. I'm going to start another post now about weather or not I should have got my old engine back. EDIT... When I took the car today I did not see any leek for about 3 1/2 hrs. It all looked good and I checked under it so many times looking for any kind of leek. It was dry for a long time. I guess they did not run it that long and maybe with out driving it the leek would not have started. By no means am I defending them. The leek started after I ran it for a bit and put it through its paces. It feels pretty powerfull and it goes like heck. I did not pounce on it yet, that will come soon. Mike this is making me nuts....

Archived