CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolent Pooring out back of engine

Matt

I will try to relax. If I think it's intake manifold gaskets then maybe I can do it myself. First I have to check those collent system pipes. Then figure out if it is the manifold gasket would it be draining out that small cover I took off that exposes the fly wheel. If water leeks out the gasket on back side of engine intake manifold area would it drain down and come out from that small cover that exposes the fly wheel. If all these things equal out then it's a shot I guess. My speciality at work is Hydraulic Demolition Tools, I have always worked on small engines, thats just another part of my job. If you want to see what I mean by Hydraulic Demolition tools go to WWW.elco.com. Our sister Company has a web site showing the tool I specialize in . It;s a Hydraulic Rock Splitter. I am the factory repair center for this tool for 23 years now. My BIG worry is am I capiable of replaceing the manifold gaskets??????? I need a rest for a little wile. I have been going like a mad man since 6 AM. A short nap will do. I'm beet. Thanks guys. I wish I could help you all somehow..

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks guys. I wish I could help you all somehow..

Just show up and be friendly.

That's all it takes Matt.. ;)

PS, it's always helps to hear how things ultimatley turn out, one way or the other.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I am not sure, but am throwing the notion out here. Is there a freeze plug, on the rear of the motor? I recall seeing some on some engines, but do not know if all engines have them there. Just an idea.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Dadillac,

I was looking at the manual for a 1993, & the rear vie of the block dosen't show a freeze plug. due to the way these blocks were cast, without cylinders, I don't think that freeze plugs were necessecary.

Good Thought though. :)

Britt

Britt

My BIG worry is am I capiable  of replaceing the manifold gaskets???????

Not to worry, its an easy job you will be surprised when you do it. We will provide you with all the procedures, torque specs and torque sequences (if there are sequences but there usually is). Mike

Thanks Mike. When ever you have time to post the info on the job will be OK. I will print it up and see how bad or easy it is. Thanks for building my confidence. I'm going to look at the engine in the AM and try to get some confidence up. Maybe I can get them to give me a vacation day Monday or tuesday. It will most likely take me all day to do it . Om going back to the couch but will leave this on. Check back later on, or catch ya Saturday. I just had a feeling that I should just do it Saturday. I better not rush into it though. It's a strange feeling , one of confidence. I have no idea ware it came from. I must be tired. Good Night.......

It's really too bad that some state laws have cut out the shade tree mechanic. All it did is open the door for the auto babwa and this 40 million thieves. I just had my 94 DeVille engine dropped down and had a new oil pan gasket replaced to stop a leak that a dealer said was the rear main. I had the rear main seal replaced at the same time and the whole job cost me $1000.00. A friend of mine did it and he had a Mexican mechanic do the job. He said he could have the engine out in about an hour and one half and then it woud be about four hours labor and another hour and one half to install it. He didn't lie. He also said that the pan gasket was the most likely cause of the oil leak and that all of the dealers he worked for would always tell the customer that it was the rear main seal. They charge $3500.00 plus parts. My parts cost a little over $300.00. Go figure. Do mind though, you must have a hoist to do this job in this time frame. My advice, don't just go back to the dealer unless it's under warrenty, shop around, ask questions and don't believe everybody. ...............luck

Just got off the phone with Brogen Cady here in NJ. They say it was a problem that GM new about. It comes from the old Green Anti-freeze being very acidy and an area in the water jacket ware the coolent did not flow to good through. The coolent would sit there and as it got old it would turn to acid and eat its way through the block from the inside out. They say it is common around 100K miles and up. They have many of these jobs all the time now. Its very expensive. They are now useing a red anti-freeze. They are talking in the area of 4500.00 bucks to fix things. They cut out the bad area and sleeve it somehow. But its major work and as they take apart the engine and find old and worn things the bill goes up and up. My boat has sunk. Im floating down the river now with a life preserver on. O well.....

A couple of points. Brogan Cadillac is noted for three things, being rude, being wrong, and being over-priced. Many of my customers buy or lease from them and some of the cock and bull stories they've been told are astounding. I've been following this board for six or seven years and this is the first time the "rotted water jacket" business that Brogan thinks is so common has come up. Rent, buy, or borrow a cooling system pressure tester. Top off the sytem, pump it up and the leak should be apparent, especially up on a lift.

YMMV

FWIW

DFB

If that is the route you decide to go, the 4.9 engines on Long Island with about 60,000 miles were going for $500. If you are unable to find one let me know, I can check the Long Island yards. I had one shipped to Amsterdam about 2 years ago, Mike

Good Morning. I have been at work and have been able to do one thing so far with my car. I put a magnet on the block to make sure it is aluminum, and it is. So blown head gasket and possible whole in side of engine may be what is found. I mean ware or how else is there coolent coming out like it is?.. Mike I may need an engine. That price sounds good. I will let you know for sure as soon as I know. Thanks very much for all the help guys. P/S, a guy here at work is telling me an Oldsmobile engine will go in this car also.. Is this true???

Matt, I just spoke to my favorite auto junk yard he has a bunch of 4.9 engines. He has them removed, wrapped up, marked with the mileage and inside out of the elements in a building. They are not sitting outside in a car or being rained on. This is the same place I purchased an engine and had it shipped to a member in Amsterdam. He installed it and BAM it kicked right off!

The best he has is a 1995 4.9 with 60,000 miles on in and it will cost you $400. He can ship it or you can pick it up... If you are interested PM me and I will give you the details. I can help you with this, if you decide to ship it we well need to provide a pallet, and I will deliver the pallet to them. These guys are very reputible and I trust them 100%. If you are from Clinton, NJ I am sure you have some yards by you also. I just wanted to provide you with some details. Even if you have a crack this is NOT really a very serious problem... Mike

OK MIke, I sent a PM. I hope I did it right. Yes I am very interested. I am still waiting for the flat bed. I also would still like to get some kind of an idea on what has happened, I know we all want to know... I would much rather get my hands on that engine then do any kind of major work on this engine. It would be cheeper I bet to just swith an engine. I am guessing maybe 8 hours ?? to do it?? Boy that 95 engine sounds good!!! I will be in touch.

OK MIke, I sent a PM. I hope I did it right. Yes I am very interested. I am still waiting for the flat bed. I also would still like to get some kind of an idea on what has happened,  I know we all want to know...  I would much rather get my hands on that engine then do any kind of major work on this engine. It would be cheeper I bet to just swith an engine. I am guessing maybe 8 hours ?? to do it??  Boy that 95  engine sounds good!!! I will be in touch.

Matt, I sent you all the contact details and I can meet you there if you want OR help to ship it to you.... I would imagine with the right equipment (lift, tranny support, and chain fall) the job would not be too difficult. You would need to determine if its easier to pull the engine out of the top or drop the carriage. I sent you my CELL PHONE number if you want to talk, Mike

This message is being done by useing my cell phone as a modem. I have only a few miniuts. Believe it or not I have not been able to get in touch with my buddy to see what he has done to my car wile Im away. I will keep the board posted....

Ok Guys I have the poop on my engine. It took a crap!!! My buddy has a family emergency to deal with but he has been able to get in time on my engine along with one of his other mechanics. He had his man call me to relay what was found. The aluminum has eroded away about the size of a pinky finger. I wanted to know exactly ware but this guy did not have that detail other then under the bell housing. He said there are no external signs of intake manifold gasket or head gasket failure, but he could take things apart to check. I would love to know but I can not really ask him to go through that trouble, it would not be right. He said there is no coolent in the oil pan or any signs of coolent in the valve covers. I asked how it is coming out the block under the bell and burning it at the same time? He said they would have to take things apart to look for another problem. My buddy was right to start by getting into the bell housing first to see what happened. He saved me labor by doing that. It would have cost me more if he had started with the intake manifold then went to the heads. At least this way much of what has to come apart is now apart. Ok-- true this is lousey but at least I feel better now knowing what has happened. No more guessing , it was making me nuts. Now to move onto the next part. OK Mike, I will get back in touch with that fellow on the 4.9. He said he would deliver it. I may have to go that route not being able to get out of work responcibilities. I will call him when they open in the AM. I'm not sure what time that is but I will start calling by 8AM. I have to get caught up on a few things. I will leave this connection open and be back in a bit. I'm exicted about getting a newer engine with less milage. O- Boy O - Boy !!!

I am glad you are not too bummed out Matt, that's great, I am sorry about your engine, I hope that bbobynski opines on it. If you need ANY help with the new engine or want me to go look at it, let me know, if you want I can buzz by, take a look along with some photos, Mike

PS, any excuse to go to the junk yard to look at old Devilles!

I'm glad you are here Mike. Na, I'm ok about it all now. Plus I get a better engine now. I just need to get Scott to set up the delivery by Friday I hope. My buddy can start Friday if the engine gets there early enough and work Saturday on it to. Just thinking about it, I better make sure those Platnum Plugs and wires go in wile engine is on the floor. I have to make a few calls. catch ya later.

I'm glad you are here Mike. Na, I'm ok about it all now. Plus I get a better engine now. I just need to get Scott to set up the delivery by Friday I hope.  My buddy can start Friday if the engine gets there early enough and work Saturday on it to. Just thinking about it, I better make sure those Platnum Plugs and wires  go in wile engine is on the floor. I have to make a few calls. catch ya later.

Do you want me to look at it tomorrow and take some photos? Yes I would do as much as I could while the engine is out. Also go to the dealer and buy cooling line o-rings and replace the two at the oil filter adapter and the two (maybe four including tranny) at the radiator...

I know you don't have time, but it would be terrific if you could replace the pan gasket and at least the rear valve cover gasket...

Ok MIke, good to know about the O-Rings. That will for sure get done to. Thanks. If it's not to much trouble and you have time to take pictures that would be great. Though I hope to get it by Friday, I dont want to trouble you to much. Maybe look it over good for me to would be nice to. I got a phone call. Be back in a bit. Just saw to replace the other gaskets too. It will be done mike. This engine will be like brand new then.. Thanks. Be right back.

Mike is it to late or a waste to put Mobil 1 in it or another synth oil?? And shouold I use same coolent as last time???? With the pills ???

Mike is it to late or a waste to put Mobil 1 in it or another synth oil??   And  shouold I use same coolent as last time???? With the pills ???

IMHO synthetic is not necessary for the 4.9 and you may accentuate the #1 knock if your new engine is prone to it, use a good quality 10W30 in the begining. Same coolant? I would just use a 50/50 with traditional green with distilled water and a full dose of the cooling supplement... Mike

post-3-1112230225_thumb.jpg

Guys---- The info is wonderfull. I am printing all of it now and will start Thursday making arrangments to aquire all of it. I am very excited about all of this. With the hi milage these engines are capable of if taken care of correctly this one is just a little bit past break-in. Well, May be not quite but you know what I mean. I cant wait to get this puppy back under my foot !!!

Archived