CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

lost transmission from fluid leak

TomE

Hey all. A new Caddy owner here. I have always loved them and needed a new 3rd vehicle for summer, spring and fall driving. Well actually anytime it isn't ice and snow. It's an 05 CTS with auto transmission. 117,000 on car. I was driving it Saturday when I noticed the engine revved and no power to transmission? I was in a good spot so I coasted it down the road a couple hundred yards and parked. Tranny fluid everywhere. I haven't put it on my lift yet to see if any of the lines from the transmission to the radiator came off. That seems to be one of things to check from what I have read. The owners manual calls for Dexron lll but I see there is now Dexron Vl. The car does not move in any gear and you can't feel it try to engage when you move the shifter so I lost a lot of fluid. I figured as cheap as I got the car it needed some TLC but not quite what I was expecting?

Welcome to CaddyInfo & to Cadillacs.  Sorry you had this happen.

I like your thinking on the line to cooler, although as you suggest with a used car you don’t know what is going on until you can examine and sort out. 

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks Bruce. I should have been more thorough and put it on the lift the minute I brought it home. I trust people to be honest about things and maybe he wasn't aware of anything? The car is a blast to drive, I just hope I didn't toast the transmission?

I'm thinking your tranny is fine, and will function when leak is detected, fixed and new fluid added.  By your description, you had a sudden fluid loss so I don't think there was enough time for damage to occur (the torque converter just didn't have any fluid to pump and convert to energy).  Good luck on your fix.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

That's what we are thinking too but still confused about the tranny fluid. My son in law is a Ford/VW mechanic but is a chevy guy at heart and is asking his parts guy what fluid to use. I have read some other threads about the cooler lines and they all seem to point the finger at the connection to the radiator. It is low on radiator fluid but not empty.

Replace all 3 transmission lines. 

Hope for the best. 

SOmetimes the damage is already done but there is a good chance that it will be ok.

as long as it was not revved too much while low on fluid

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

No, I tried to accelerate a few times but when I realized I lost the transmission I coasted it to a stop. We found the crack in the rubber hose last night using a cell phone camera. I am just waiting for some parts and transmission fluid to change the rubber line and give it a good underneath inspection.

Archived