CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

heat trouble

MetalGod

I didn't notice this until this winter during the excessively cold days. If I turn my heat on, every vent except for the vents by the pedals or feet if you will on the driver's side throw out warm air. The vents by the feet will shoot out freezing cold air, basically whatever the temperature outside is at the time so if it's 0, it's basically like driving with my feet as icicles. I brought it in to the garage to have it checked out, but they never got around to it. If anyone has an idea as to what the problem and/or solution to this might be, let me know and thanks.

This appears to be under the category of Improper Air Delivery. Do you have a manual for your 94? I have a manual for the 91 and 96... I just scanned the Improper Air Delivery out of the 91 but its too big to post.. If you PM me an email address I can email it to you or you can look in your manual. Mike

After flushing the heater core following Guru's detailed instructions watch the heater core area for leaks for a week or so. When the core is plugged partially for a long time the gasket between the core and a plastic tank dries out and leaks. Mine did just that. Despite I fixed the leak I put new all aluminum one since replacing the heater core is not fun and I just did not want to take chances. New heater core is about $35.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• 8 months later...

Well after all this time, I finally did try to attempt working on this problem some more. I checked the mixer door and it is functioning properly. I never did try flushing the heater core yet...maybe I should get around to that. If there's any other suggestions out there, feel free to let me know. Thanks.

Well after all this time, I finally did try to attempt working on this problem some more.  I checked the mixer door and it is functioning properly.  I never did try flushing the heater core yet...maybe I should get around to that.  If there's any other suggestions out there, feel free to let me know.  Thanks.

Looks like you need to flush and backflush the heater core. To do this you need to disconnect a couple of heater hoses. Hoses by the heater core on the firewall are not easily accessable. It is easier to disconnect one hose by the plastic "T" (heater valve) on the top of the engine and another on the pipe (see the picture). Yo need to remove right front wheel. If you cut off the connector on a garden hose the latter will perfectly fit in the heater 3/4" hoses. Flush and backflush, reconnect, compensate the lost coolant. Watch the heater core for leaks. Mine leaked after the flush and I had to replace it.

post-3-1130992158_thumb.jpg

I seem to remember reading a TSB on the "Problem". I think the "Fix" was adding another air outlet (Hole) in the lower duct-work. Sorry, I don't have the TSB now, that was years ago.

rek

Did anyone replace the tee in the heater hose at some point? If so, make sure the orifice is pointed in the proper direction or you will not get much heat. Only the GM tee has the orifice - hardware store tees do not have the orifice.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Did anyone replace the tee in the heater hose at some point?  If so, make sure the orifice is pointed in the proper direction or you will not get much heat.  Only the GM tee has the orifice - hardware store tees do not have the orifice.

Kevin,

My T was from Advance or NAPA and it had the orifice. There is an arrow on the T and it should be dirrected to the heater core (to the passanger side in other words).

Did anyone replace the tee in the heater hose at some point?  If so, make sure the orifice is pointed in the proper direction or you will not get much heat.  Only the GM tee has the orifice - hardware store tees do not have the orifice.

Kevin,

My T was from Advance or NAPA and it had the orifice. There is an arrow on the T and it should be dirrected to the heater core (to the passanger side in other words).

OK - I didn't know that was available from a store like NAPA. Awhile back, there were a few individuals who replaced their tee and had no heat - it turned out they were using hardware store tees and once replaced, all was fine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived