CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

So i,cleared them again and I've figured I have about a day and a half to 2 days before the code comes back,but the check engine light won't come back on the last time the code came back. It just says no pcm codes when I erase them . Will they know that I erased them . It doesn't say diagnostic system ready or not ready if it just says no pcm codes . Can they see something I can't when they run the tests . 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BodybyFisher said:

Keep an eye on that water, I forgot that your AC wasn't working.  Maybe your evaporator is draining water, obviously coolant would have a color and smell.

How would I check or fix if the evaporater is draining water , and is that something I need to worry about?.what causes this . And wouldn't it be coolant leaking . It is definately water . I will check it again tomorrow . 

7 hours ago, BodybyFisher said:

Keep an eye on that water, I forgot that your AC wasn't working.  Maybe your evaporator is draining water, obviously coolant would have a color and smell.

How would I check or fix if the evaporater is draining water .what causes this .

I just checked the transmission which I can't believe I haven't done yet .it was full when I got it 3 weeks ago from the repair , but when I checked it now it was almost empty . The dips tick barely had any fluid on the tip . Obviously it needs to be resealed , amd I'm wondering if the low fluid making the tank almost empty has anything to do with transmission or the torque converter clutch and has caused the p0741 Code. I will fill it in the morning asap. I hope that it hasn't been low for so lo.g that it has destroyed anything that can't be repaired with a refill and some new seals .

5 hours ago, Ben ATX said:

I just checked the transmission which I can't believe I haven't done yet .it was full when I got it 3 weeks ago from the repair , but when I checked it now it was almost empty . The dips tick barely had any fluid on the tip . Obviously it needs to be resealed , amd I'm wondering if the low fluid making the tank almost empty has anything to do with transmission or the torque converter clutch and has caused the p0741 Code. I will fill it in the morning asap. I hope that it hasn't been low for so lo.g that it has destroyed anything that can't be repaired with a refill and some new seals .

The diagnostic aids section for the P0741 code in the shop manual states one cause can be the transmission is in "hot" mode and the shifting defaults to higher line pressure which would mean harsher shifts. 

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

6 hours ago, Ben ATX said:

How would I check or fix if the evaporater is draining water .what causes this .

Since your AC is not turned on, the evaporator should not keep draining water.  It will drain and stop.  Cooling warm air is what creates the water.  

See if it continues to drip 

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

So i cleared the codes again and I've figured I have about a day and a half to 2 days before the code comes back,but the check engine light won't come back on the last time the p0741 code came back. It just says no pcm codes when I erase them . Will they know that I erased them . It doesn't say diagnostic system ready or not ready if it just says no pcm codes can they see something I can't when they run the tests for my inspection.

I was wondering how I can find out the name of all the wheels on the left side of the engine when I pop the hood . The serpentine beltruns through one of them I think it is the harmonic balancer and it is a little wobbly . Also after looking cover I believe that is where my oil leak is coming from , or at least it looks like it. Would that be a separate code . Can this part be replaced ? I am also still dripping transmission fluids . I have noticed that I have all my gears and they shift very smoothly still. What do you guys think . Also there is no more water dripping.

In order for your system to be ready for inspection it has to complete all tests usually during the "drive cycle".  Until the drive cycle is completed the system will show as not ready

Here is what is done to complete a drive cycle:

http://www.obdii.com/DRIVECYCLE.HTML

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

So based on the drive cycle site it can take fifteen minutes to complete a drive cycle I usually go through all of these steps in a day and the codes don't come back for atleast 2 days . So I think I will be good for inspection.

When I had my head gaskets fixed I chose to have the block resealed . The person who did this specializes in northstars . When the block is resealed does that refer to the crankcase , or what in particular does that refer to?

Well I guess that a block reseal is what the seller claims it to be. I would like to think that it includes a crankcase reseal among other seals such as cam cover gaskets etc. but it can also mean that it is the only thing they reseal. The leaky crank shaft pulley indicates that.

I know that you have learned a lot about pulling codes and in that way discovered more problems with your car, that as far as we know could have existed already when you had the head-gaskets done. Is it possible to rule out anything like if the AC was working before, was the tranny behaving differently etc.? Was the original problem "only" the head gaskets?  The reason I'm asking is that there is a possibility that the repair guys caused some of the other problems and they should take responsibility for that. From what I read I get the feeling that the car is worse off than before the repairs started but it is just my opinion. Can you give us a firsthand opinion?

Jan raises a good point.  Oil coming from the crankshaft pulley after the head gaskets were done and the block resealed is a bad sign.  The crank has a simple lip seal.  

Do us a favor, detail exactly what was done regarding the head gasket job and the reseal.  Who did it and what did they do?  How much did it cost?

Was the block timeserted?

Was the case half re-sealed? 

Where the front and rear seals replaced? 

Its difficult for us to know what your mechanic did we would just be guessing, ask him.  While you are at it ask him if he timeserted the block and replaced the head bolts.  

That you have water leaking is not good either.  Did you find the source?

There are CAM seals, oil filter adapter seals, front and rear seals, front cover seal and the case half seals.  Do you have a receipt with all parts itemized?

You say this mechanic was experienced with the northstar how was that confirmed?

Carrol custom. 2650 for the head gaskets .for an extra 600 while the engine is out he offers a block reseal , which is listed on the website (now PCS not CCC ) as a 2000 dollar job by itself if the engine is not already going to be pulled for the job . The car was about at 105000 miles and was purchased for 700$  by someone who also wanted to fix the car but backed when they found out about the head gaskets.i read the website thoroughly and talked to Tim a bunch. There is an online video of how he headstuds the engine all over you tube , and a picture of the bolts he uses on the website . I went  a couple of weeks when the car came back then the oil started then the transmission started leaking too . I have asked on a text yesterday what specifically they sealed because I just looked on the site again and under the price for headstuds it simply says reseal your block $600 . I see his website listed on this site and I know that Bruce knows him personally and visits the shop sometimes . I haven't heard back from him and to be honest I don't want to make him angry. The warranty was supposed to be a 12 and 12 .12,000 miles or 12 months . Whichever comes first. I've had it back for a month.

I believe by reseal your block, he is speaking about the case half seal, on his youtube he stressed that he replaces the oil manifold and I am sure he replaced the pan seal.  Because he broke the case half he would have needed to replace the rear seal.  Since he had the heads off he had the front cover off and it should have been easy for him to replace the crank seal behind the damper pulley.  From there replacing the oil filter adapter seals, front cover seals and cam cover seals is easy and logical and probably included in the victor reines engine seal kit that he uses.   

To me having a leak at the front seal is something he should remedy as it logically would be part of a big job like that.

Did he respond to your text?  

Did you figure out what water is leaking in the middle of the car that you spoke of?   My problem with mechanics is that sometimes they ignore ticking time bomb problems like bad heater pipes, dry rotted hoses, etc. Not saying that is what happened here but if you have a coolant leak that is part of a thorough job, if its leaking, he needs to fix it.

Look into the tank, is it coolant or clear water.

Are you getting a code for the AC I forget, is it the low refrigerant code?  My direct question to him would be, did you depressurize the AC system when you did the job? If he did he needs to evacuate and recharge your system.  But ask the question.

Why are you afraid of making him angry?  He just did a huge job, there are bound to be odds and ends that need fixing, even Tim is not that good!  Anyway, he constantly talks about being a Christian how does that translate into anger?  He has an obligation to deliver a solid repair and coolant leaks (if there is one) and a leak at the crank pulley is not right.  He could have gotten a defective seal or even failed to lube the lip seal on installation.  But its NOT your fault.  On a lift, front cover removal is a cake walk.  But the seal may be changeable with the front cover in place with care and the correct tool. 

Good luck to you.  Remember you have a warranty and if you have coolant and oil leaks you can void the warranty if damage is done.  Document everything, date of receipt, miles driven, dates texted, oil and coolant added, detail all problems you have, etc.  Your engine should be flawless!  Put him on notice officially in writing with all details if he is not responsive, with certified mail.

Well he responded and not in the best way .This is someone that a lot of people have backed , and again I know bruce knows personally but I don't know what to make of these responses . I have everything that was done going back five months when I first talked to him on text messages on my phone.  I did just check my car again and it is extremely low on oil and I can't see any coolant in the tank . A week ago I checked the coolant level and I could see the orange fluid , now I can't see anything . I told him I needed to know what he sealed and listed all the things in the last paragraph . He said he sealed all of those things you listed . It is hard to get him to respond . He told me to check it myself and figure it out . So now I am losing transmission fluid , oil , and coolant . Is it true the Gmail tablets help when trying to fix the coolant tank ? I am getting deeper in the hole with this . And spent about 4700$ with the price of the car and repairs and have been driving it not even a month . It has less than 800 miles since the repair.

Don't get intimidated by the way he responds. I second what BBF told you, your engine should be flawless. Coolant leaks and oil leaks on an engine with all that money poured on it AND STILL UNDER WARRANTY is not acceptable. They should tow it over to their garage and inspect it ASAP for free as it is clear that they did a lousy job. First they take all that money to do work on your car and then they tell you to figure it out. It would be really nice to hear from Carrol Custom and hear what their thoughts about this are.

Ben coolant and oil leaks after a.major overhaul are unacceptable.  

For him to tell you to "figure it out" is unacceptable and he needs to remedy these problems.  He has not completed the job to satisfaction.   

Its funny how before he had your money he was attentive and nice but now that he has your money its your problem and he isn't so responsive and not so nice isn't it.  Its a pattern he repeats.

What made you be afraid to make him angry?  Was he angry with you previously?

Asking him to repair problems from an engine job he performed  is covered under the warranty and you raising the issues should not cause anger or the warranty to be voided.

What does your warranty look like?  Is it in writing or verbal?  Can you scan it and post it here?

You should have a mechanic put it on a lift and inspect it and document the problems, there may be things wrong that you cant see and are unaware of.  Wires, pipes not retained, etc.  You need to begin documenting, save texts.  It will cost more but you may need to consult an attorney familiar with Texas law  relative to warranties and get the BBB involved.  

He will claim the oil consumption and tranny leaks are not his responsibility and that may be true.  His job was to fix the head gasket and do an engine seal and those jobs do not address oil consumption and tranny leaks.  However, if its leaking from the torque converter seal, it could be argued that the seal should have been replaced when the engine was removed, or it was damaged by the R&R, but that will be an arguement, a mechanic can determine where the tranny leak is coming from.  But the coolant leaks and oil leaks and and problems with the R&R are his problem.    I stress that you should have an independent mechanic inspect the car and itemize the issues, otherwise its your word against his if you need to go to court.

If he vented the freon into the atmosphere he has broken the law.  Did the AC work before this job?  Did he depressurize the AC system, by reclaiming it or venting it?  He needed to recharge it if he did, your AC system should not be a casualty of his work.  And to be honest?, the job can be done WITHOUT depressurizing the AC system, we do it all the time here.

I am sorry I cant help you further. You need an attorney familiar with Texas law.  This is a pattern with Tim, he has done this before and its documented if you search the internet.  He should not be able to continue to defraud the public and then tell them to "figure it out" after he gets your money.   Some Christian huh?

I was looking at the CCC site and found this.  It implies that CCC for whatever reason does not add coolant and its your responsibity.  You said you saw water leaking it could be clear water leaking from the cooling system if he only added water, see this

"Coolant:

Due to the death of several innocent animals (Pets) caused by coolant in unexpected leaks, we have imposed a strict unwavering company policy, no coolant added until no leaks are present. These leaks can occur from worn hoses, loose clamps, or water body gaskets etc..... It is the full responsibility of the owner to do a coolant mix once surety of no leaks are present.

This specific rule can be overturned if the weather at the time or repair completion is at a dangerous low and can produce freezing, we recommend one full week."

Here is a link to the page:

http://www.carrollcustomcadillac.com/Pages/RepairCost.aspx

Personally, I disagree with adding water to the cooling system.  Besides the fact water boils at a lower temp than a 50/50 mix which is bad enough in Texas heat.  My opinion comes from The Guru (Al Cline a Northstar powertrain engineer) who stated that adding water introduces minerals to the cooling system and secondly water can not be drained from the engine and it becomes difficult to balance the cooling system to 50/50 as a result.  I NEVER use anything but distilled water mixed with coolant in my cooling systems!

I posted CCCs, Express Written Warranty below from his web page I trust you have a signed copy.  Above I recommended that you take the car to an independent 3rd party mechanic to document the problems for your file.  Based on the bolded areas below, DO NOT use the third party mechanics assessment as a starting point of discussion as ccc may void your warranty based on this language.  But save that assessment in your files in the event you need to go to court to have proof for non performance.  You might even take it to 2 independent mechanics for good measure.  You should have an attorney review this warranty, Texas may provide you with specific rights that this warranty voids or does not include.    That said this warranty states that they will "stand behind their work with pride".

I don't even know if statements like this are legal:

"We base all our clients’ warranty's upon kindness and friendship, if a when this line is crossed we reserve the right to end all communications and repairs immediately voiding any and all warranty"  

:blink: kindness and friendship? If a line is crossed?, you mean like me saying WTH or exploding when you say, "figure it out yourself?????   

Express Written Warranty

This warranty covers issues arising after repairs performed by our shops for repairs, sales of engines and or our signature Head Studs.

All mechanical and diagnostic evaluations are to be performed by us, unless otherwise authorized by us.

Failure to follow these rules will result in the void of any and all warranty provided by us.

We provide free diagnostics related to repairs performed by us. In the event that an issue is related to the repairs performed by us, it is the responsibility of our shop to diagnose and repair as necessary.

It is the responsibility of the client, both local and long distance, to return the engine—and/or complete automobile—to our facility. The cost of shipping is not a part of this warranty agreement. 

We will not be responsible for any company, other than our shop, that you have diagnose or repair any issue related to repairs completed by us. Taking your vehicle to another company to address any issues arising from work performed by us will void all of this warranty. We simply cannot afford to repair damage caused by the unprofessional.

If you follow our simple rules of warranty, we will stand behind our work with pride!!

Complete rebuild—3 years unlimited mileage on all craftsmanship. Internal parts will be warranted as per their manufacturers guarantee. There is no warranty on any factory castings and or original parts that have not been replaced by us.

All Head Studs used in our repairs have a lifetime warranty against failure. In the case of a Head Stud failure, it is the responsibility of the owner to return the Head Stud to our facility for evaluation of failure.

It is at our sole discretion to determine the cause of any and all failures related to any repairs performed by us. If a failure is determined to have been caused by a repair performed by us, then it will be scheduled for repair at our discretion and at an appropriate time that will allow for the repair to be made without interference to prescheduled jobs.

Let it also be known and understood that due to the dishonesty of those who have taken advantage of our goodwill, it is hereby written that at our sole discretion, our complete warranty can and will be withdrawn at any time deemed necessary!

We base all our clients’ warranty's upon kindness and friendship, if a when this line is crossed we reserve the right to end all communications and repairs immediately voiding any and all warranty.

We record all emails for the burden of proof in case this issue arises.

This business is for the helping of kind decent people in need of help and if that friendship is built between CCC and the client, CCC will stand behind the client and the repair to the fullest.

This warranty is posted on our repair page for all clients to read at any time needed.

No warranty is valid until signed by our rep and the owner of the engine and/or automobile acknowledging its contents!

Sincerely, our Team

Signed by; Rep, ____________________________.

Purchaser, ____________________________.

This acceptance copy must be returned to: Carroll Cadillac, failure to sign and return this copy to Carroll Cadillac will automatically result in void of any and all contents provided within its warranty and no warranty is provided.

This warranty and all of its contents is located on the Carroll Custom Cadillac website repair cost page for any and all clients to fully read before any scheduling and or product ordering. In no case is any misleading ad’s or verbal conversations able to occur due to this upfront warranty read. The client takes full responsibility before any schedule and or order.

Return your copy to:

Carroll Cadillac

PO Box 508

Pilot Point TX 76258

Reference:

http://www.carrollcustomcadillac.com/Pages/RepairCost.aspx

What a farce! That is not a warranty! That is a statement saying if I like you I will fix your vehicle, if you make me mad I will void the warranty.

:bsmeter:

Seek legal advice!

The lack of coolant replacement is a disgrace. The "pet safety" issue is an excuse to avoid replacing coolant and improving their bottom line. Not putting in a 50-50 mixture is creating problems for the customer. 

Worse than a CROOK!!!!!! Lower than whale dung in my opinion. Burn-em at the stake :excl:

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Archived