CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air Box Mod/ Throttle screen

97LDough

Search the archives on this.. Much has been talked about and no one has proven that it is worth doing..

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Why would you want to remove the screen? It's purpose is to straighten the airflow across the mass airflow sensor wire to assure a more accurate sensor reading.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

There is supposed to be a screen there? Uh oh myn doesn't have one does this do anything? :huh:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

There is supposed to be a screen there?  Uh oh myn doesn't have one does this do anything? :huh:

It is not actually a screen. It is an air flow straightener for the MAF sensor. Without it the MAF sensor may get false readings. Guru explaines it very well in the last post in this thread.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...0&hl=maf+screen

LOL Okay then I thought there was like a screen and I know when I was cleaning around there was nothing of the sort! :lol::D

user posted image

Hmm... I think that the air box mod should be helpful...but the "screen" has to be restricting airflow somewhat. I suppose it should not be altered if it is there for a functional purpose. I do want to buy a new screen however, because mine seems to be a bit dirty.

LOL Okay then I thought there was like a screen and I know when I was cleaning around there was nothing of the sort! :lol::D

The 93-94 Northstars did NOT have a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. They used a speed density fuel injection system which uses a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor as I understand. In 1995, the cars went to a mass air system, with the MAF sensor.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hmm... I think that the air box mod should be helpful...but the "screen" has to be restricting airflow somewhat. I suppose it should not be altered if it is there for a functional purpose. I do want to buy a new screen however, because mine seems to be a bit dirty.

The airflow straigthener is not restrictive at all. If you look at it you'll see what I mean. It is like a honey comb design as I recall.

LOL Okay then I thought there was like a screen and I know when I was cleaning around there was nothing of the sort! :lol:  :D

The 93-94 Northstars did NOT have a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. They used a speed density fuel injection system which uses a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor as I understand. In 1995, the cars went to a mass air system, with the MAF sensor.

95 is also speed density no MAF. OBD2 cars are dual with Air flow calc's and MAF measurements. This helps with transients by allowing correct scaling of the speed density system. This way accurate air flow can be "known" even during times where engine airfolw is different from "sensed Mass Air Flow" eg manifold filling after change in vacuum.

John

The 93-94 Northstars did NOT have a Mass Air Flow

Is this were they lost that 5 H.P from?

user posted image

I did an air box modification. In addition to a noticable increase in the seat of the pants, it's a no-brainer that an increase in flow wheter it's in or out of the engine nets additional power.

I'm a hard sell, viewing almost everything as snake oil. The mild air box modification nets good results. Enlarge the bottom area of the box by cutting out the restrictive lip. Remove--don't hack up--the air tube below the box. Hacking up the air tube doesn't do much in a gain of flow because the air tube is restricted at the air box's opening. Seal the air box to the frame; otherwise, the air box will drink hot under the hood air, instead of cold air. It's impossible to pick up water in the area where the air tube lies. Well, if you drive through a foot or so of water, it might take a drink, but you can drive through 1" of standing water @ 68 mph. Too me, that's extreeme driving conditions, exceeding what would be considered safe driving habits.

Do not hack a hole in the splash pan of the front wheel well. I cannot fathom the logic behind hacking a hole in the splash pan because the area where the air tube lies receives more than enough cold air.

Also, devain the cover that covers the air filter. It has been said that the gain is neglible, if any. Just like porting heads, removing rough casting increases flow, and I cannot understand why people blow off a tiny bit of gain as not worth it. If it's a free modification, a tiny bit of gain is a huge gain.

With stock exauset, the K&N allegitly "cold air" replacemt for the air box moves the peak of the powerband into a higher rpm, meaning it trashes street racing value, unless you really have it cranked up. With other exauset, I have no clue as to the value of the Japanese burner looking gadget sold by K&N.

With the air box modification, in addition to a noticable increase in throttle response, you notice some decrease in mileage.

With the MAF screen--whatever--I left mine alone. I read about removing it, but I was concerned with fouling something up. The more I read, the more I'm glad that I didn't dink with it.

I have yet to have done it, but it seems to be a good guess that cutting the screen from the air filter would be another way to tweak out a tiny fraction of a horse. Right now, racing season is closed, so that little tweak "isn't worth it."

Archived