CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is my STS tattling on me?

fredster

OK, I do some freeway driving at early hours and enjoy getting it up to 100-120mph. The other day, my wife (who doesn't like me driving this fast) gets in the car and the DTC screen flashes a statement like "you shouldn't drive over 90 mph" -- or something similar. My wife couldn't remember the exact wording.

Anyone know what's the deal with this? Is my car ratting me out? As good as I've been to it?

Tried doing a search for this topic but to no avail.

I think your wife was bluffing you to see if you would admit to the crime. Hope you were smart enough to lie.....LOL!!!

No STS is going to essentially tell you to "slow down".....LOL!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The DIC does put out a message that says "Speed limited to 90 MPH". Usually something to do w/the suspension.

I got the message a year ago after useing a car wash & havent seen it since.

If it doesnt come back I wouldnt worry about it. At least it hasnt given me any trouble.

The DIC does put out a message that says "Speed limited to 90 MPH".  Usually something to do w/the suspension. 

If it doesnt come back I wouldnt worry about it.  At least it hasnt given me any trouble.

Why would an STS have speed limited to 90MPH? I'm curious.

If there's something wrong with the car's suspension, wouldn't he get other codes or messages as well?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Well, Marika, when confronted by my wife, I said "Hmmm, I wonder what that means?!?." and we wondered together!

I, for some reason, didn't think to check for codes... but I'll do that when I get home.

I am curious why the message in the first place. I'll have to dig a little further.

Well, Marika, when confronted by my wife, I said "Hmmm, I wonder what that means?!?." and we wondered together!

I, for some reason, didn't think to check for codes... but I'll do that when I get home.

I am curious why the message in the first place. I'll have to dig a little further.

Pull the codes and post them. If something is wrong with the suspension, there should be a code somewhere.

Let us know.

That's perfect the way you handled the situation with the wife. Always plead insanity or stupidity when in doubt. Works everytime....LOL :lol:;)

Update:

OK, found the PCM code PC 1611, which is:

Loss of CVRTD Serial Data

and for those of you who don't know what CVRTD is (as I did not), it is:

Continuously Variable Real Time Damping

and with a search, I found that the code is set when the CVRTD serial line from the Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension (CVRSS) to the PCM is (or was) invalid or absent.

I have only sen this one time in my car, but I cleared the code and will watch out for it again. I guess it was maybe a computer glitch??

Anyway, I should have known better than a Cadillac wanting to limit my speed UNLESS there was something wrong! If anything, it wouldn't surprise me if I was cruisin down the freeway at 70-80 and a message would come up that said "HELLO?!? you know you could drive much faster!!"

HA!

• 2 weeks later...

I get that code on my seville everytime I start my car. Twice actually. It's usually the first mesage then a few others will pop up then the speed limited to 90 again. Going to clear out my codes and see what happens tonight. Let you all now what's up.

The DIC does put out a message that says "Speed limited to 90 MPH". Usually something to do w/the suspension.

If it doesnt come back I wouldnt worry about it. At least it hasnt given me any trouble.

Bill I was just on your cars web page and was wondering were you got the wood grain kit for your car? I love the woodgrain around the stereo it really sets the interior off!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

• 1 year later...

I get that code on my seville everytime I start my car. Twice actually. It's usually the first mesage then a few others will pop up then the speed limited to 90 again. Going to clear out my codes and see what happens tonight. Let you all now what's up.

This happens when there is a problem with the stability system of the car. This includes (Steering, Shocks, Traction Control, ABS, and leveling. Have a mechanic pull the codes that it set. It could point to broken grounds, bad shocks, brakes, steering, or even a bad CVRSS Module ($958 MSRP).

If anyone knows where you can purchase a rebuilt module, let me know.

I had my '94 Eldo up to 100 MPH more than once and never got a "keep it under 90" message.

It should be noted, however, that the air bag module does record vehicle speed and other related data when the air bags deploy. This has been discussed at length on this forum in the past. The data can be retrieved and used to either prosecute or defend you depending on the specifics of the case. For more information on this subject, click the following link.

http://www.airbagcrash.com/

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Ahhhh yes. Our site.

AIR BAG SDM / BLACK BOX / EDR / CRASH DATA AVAILABLE (depending on year and model)

Vehicle speed (in five one-second intervals preceding impact)

Engine speed (in five one-second intervals preceding impact)

Brake status (in five one-second intervals preceding impact)

Throttle position (in five one-second intervals preceding impact)

Driver's seat belt state (On/Off)

Passenger's airbag enabled or disabled state (On/Off)

Airbag Warning Lamp status (On/Off)

Time from vehicle impact to airbag deployment

Maximum Delta-V ( DV ) for near-deployment event

Delta-V ( DV ) vs. time for frontal airbag deployment event

Time from vehicle impact to time of maximum Delta-V ( DV )

Time between near-deploy and deploy event (if within 5 seconds)

You actually do not need deployment to create a recording in the air bag SDM.

Something like hitting the brakes going over a speed bump can create a near deployment crash recording.

The North American high speed record is 139mph. It was a Corvette racing a Mercedes Benz. Corvette hit Jeep turning left...killing 4 people in Jeep...Corvette driver survived. Corvette driver serving time...

Archived