CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Weak Motor Mount Design?

JLAWS

Is it true that one of the top mounts on the FWD Northstar is attached to the water pump?

No, that's not true. It's not really even close, besides being on the same side of the engine. Trust me...I changed the water pump myself in mine and I only removed the radiator side of the dogbone ("upper mount") to get easier access to the radiator hose.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I remeber a few years back about a guy with a 1994 Eldo or similar complaining about a design flaw of attaching the motor mount to the water pump.

He had a hate website set up about his car, anybody remember this?

I remeber a few years back about a guy with a 1994 Eldo or similar complaining about a design flaw of attaching the motor mount to the water pump.

He had a hate website set up about his car, anybody remember this?

Nope, don't rember that one, but it really doesn't matter...the guy had to be a loon. The water pump and the motor mounts have NOTHING to do with each other on these Northstar 4.6's. I sure don't remeber them having anything in common on my 4.9L either..

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

You know, I recently helped my friend change a water pump on a '94 4.6, and I sure didn't notice the technical relationship. Maybe I wasn't looking that carefully (or analytically), but I just didn't see how it could be any problem..

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Thank you Bill for redeeming my reputation, lol

This guy was very angry about his car, he also said that the limp home mode was put in for all the cooling problems the Northstar had (BS) :blink:

Yes, there was a hate site and it spewed all sorts of incorrect stuff about the Northstar engine. This site was discussed thoroughly on the old board format. I was going to mention what Guru did -- I didn't think the 98+ Sevilles had ANY upper motor mounts, so it'd be close to impossible to actually BREAK one. :) The Eldorado had them until the end because it retained the E/K chassis (like the 97 and previous Seville) when the '98 Seville went to the G-platform.

The Eldorado had them until the end because it retained the E/K chassis (like the 97 and previous Seville) when the '98 Seville went to the G-platform.

As a point of interest, does the '98 and later Seville really have a different chassis from the '97 and earlier? I know the later ones have a slightly different timing chain cover to accommodate a redesigned motor mount. I'm just curious why the chassis change for, what appears to be, the same car with a restyled rear end and some minor trim changes.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

As a point of interest, does the '98 and later Seville really have a different chassis from the '97 and earlier?

Yes, the chassis is completely different. The E/K platform is a Cadillac exclusive, and was introduced with, I believe, the 1992 Seville/Eldorado. The Deville joined the platforum in 1994 I think. The Eldorado continued to the end (2002) on the E/K platform. The Deville was on it at least until 1999. When it was redesigned in 2000, I'm not sure what platform it got. Did it continue with the E/K or did the Deville move to the G in '00?

The G platform was introduced as the Oldsmobile Aurora and Buick Riviera. Sure-fire way to identify this platform is the battery location -- it's under the rear seat. The basic design is very similar to the E/K -- McPherson strut front suspension, coil spring multi-link rear, front wheel drive -- but nothing is really shared. When the Seville was redesigned in 1998, it moved to the G platform. You're right -- the styling and interior appointments are very similar to the older generation Seville, especially the interior/dash of the 1996+ Sevilles. One major difference is the availability of the Bose 4.0 audio system on the 98+ cars. The 97 and previous cars had a Bose system available, but it wasn't as powerful as the Bose 4.0 systems.

just to thow in my two cents, I've had to replace at least one engine mount on both caddies I've owned, and in talking to other caddy owners, I've run in to several that have had to also. Maybe a weak point? :unsure:

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Engine mounts wear out over time - I wouldn't automatically conclude that there is a design flaw...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived