CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ignition switch broke

skyman

Last few times I drove my car I had to use force to shut down the engine......like the switch was stuck. Yesterday I just went out to warm the engine and when I shut it down the same thing happened. When I tried to restart it, the ignition switch just turned with no resistance and did nothing. The engine would not start and I had to disconnect the battery to turn off ignition because my dash lights were on and the computer was on. Now what do I do? The car is nosed up to my garage and without being able to use the ignition swith, I can't even roll the car away from the garage. Is this going to be a major job to replace the cylinder?

Thanks for any help.

Bruce E

The lock cylinder is connected to the ignition switch which is mounted on the column by a steel rod. Could be the switch that is broken which would be easier to replace but it kinda sounds more like the lock cylinder. To replace that you'll have to remove the air bag, steering wheel and then get further down into the column. Doable but a PITA from what I remember.

There is a "special tool" required to remove a retaining plate (or something like that) but I have done it without one but it takes 3 or 4 hands as I recall. The "special tool" would not be too hard to make as I recall if you are handy. I will make one before I attemp it again.

two yers ago something like that happened to me. it appeared to be an actuator - a metal piece which applies the force from the key to igniton switch through a metal road. it's such a pain taking apart all this staff in the column... i ended up replacing the metal road with a 1/8" road which would come up to to the dash board. so to start the car i put thekey in theignision cilinder, turn it when push the road to turn on the ignition switc. turning off the engine means pulling back the road and taking off the key. it soundes complicated, but it did not let me down so far, and i certainly saved a lot of money.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• 6 months later...
The lock cylinder is connected to the ignition switch which is mounted on the column by a steel rod. Could be the switch that is broken which would be easier to replace but it kinda sounds more like the lock cylinder. To replace that you'll have to remove the air bag, steering wheel and then get further down into the column. Doable but a PITA from what I remember.

There is a "special tool" required to remove a retaining plate (or something like that) but I have done it without one but it takes 3 or 4 hands as I recall. The "special tool" would not be too hard to make as I recall if you are handy. I will make one before I attemp it again.

I just finished replacing the ignition lock cylinder on my '93 Fleetwood due to broken wires on the PASS key system.

There is no way in hell I would attempt to remove the lock plate without the lock plate compressor tool! The tool is very easy to make and makes the job very easy.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived