CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Big Problems

caf7

This is kind of a long story. Here a couple of months ago the water pump casing on my 98 base model Deville broke. Since this was covered on an extended warranty I had the car towed to the local Cadillac dealership and managed to get a new water pump out of the deal also. The warranty has expired now. They also put in a new thermostat. While it was there I had them look at the front rotors as there was some vibration going on during breaking. As luck would have it they told me that I had to have new rotors and the old ones couldn't be turned. I had them go ahead and put the new rotors on. I went to pick the car up and it just felt awful, some kind of shimmy/wobble that wasn't there before. I was up for new tires also but there was just the slightest little shimmy that you could barley feel over 70MPH before I had the car worked on which I'm sure was due to the old tires. When I took it back to them they said that they couldn't find anything wrong and it was my tires, even though I told them that this was a new development that wasn't there before they worked on the car. So I get new tires, the same Michelin's that the car comes with from the factory. The shimmy/wobble is still there. I go back to the dealership and tell them I've got new tires now and something is still wrong. I get the car back into the service department and this time they say they have found play in the tie rod end on the front driver's side and that it should be replaced. I ask them if this could be causing the shimmy/wobble problem. They say maybe so maybe not. At this point I'm wondering just exactly what they do know. After they dinked around for 2 weeks they finally managed to get the part ordered and I had the work done yesterday. Since the car had to be realigned it went to another shop because the dealership here doesn't do alignments. The front was okay but when they proceeded to align the rear (they ask and I told them to do the rear since I have no idea how long its been since it was aligned and I have owned the car for over 2 years) it wouldn't hold an alignment. Now they are saying to fix this it would cost $588.00 per side. When I picked the car up yesterday and drove home after the new tie rod end was installed, I thought the car seemed to ride rough for lack of a better word. So today I checked the air pressure in the tires and that was okay. For my next discovery, you won't believe this one, now there is a clunk in the steering that wasn't there when I took the car to them yesterday morning. With the car running in park, if you turn the steering wheel back and forth 4 or 5 inches each way you can here this clunk and also feel it in the steering wheel. The service department is closed today so now I have to wait until Monday. I would appreciate any advice as to what these clowns have done wrong. I honestly don't want to go back to them. I feel like I am being railroaded. However, they need to make good on the work that they have apparently not done right and have been charging me an arm and a leg for. Once again I will greatly appreciate any advice.

Chris

Chris

Chris,

This is certainly a frustrating situation you are in. The first thing that strikes me however, is that the dealer cannot do an alignment. It may not make any sense, but I don't let anyone do suspension work if they can't do alignments. I realize that this may eliminate some very qualified mechanics, but I find it hard to have confidence in a shop that can't "finish" the job. In any case, in order to resolve this problem, you may be wise to get a second opinion... from someone you trust, if that is possible.

Good luck,

:rolleyes: sounds like rear struts and your rack is starting to show wear

shame your warranty is over to align the rear your ride height must be correct

The latest on this:

Took the car back today to see about the clunk in the steering that suddenly appeared after the work they had done Friday. They said I now need a new steering gear for $975.00. At least they told me it wasn't dangerous to drive. I moved to Tennessee last June from Idaho. I'm moving back to Idaho in March. Guess I will try to make it till I get back since I don't know the reputation of any of the businesses here. I can say one thing though. Good service for many things is nonexistent in southern middle Tennessee. Can't wait to get back to Idaho. Was wondering too. Has anyone experienced all kinds of things going wrong with their Cadillac as soon as the warranty runs out?

I cant speak for the newer Devilles but my 92' has only needed a new waterpump in 12yrs and thats it......

Yours seems to be you though, I havent heard too much with newer devilles either....consumers report begs to differ it seems...psh

I would stay far away from any dealer that does not align.....thats just wierd.

caf7,

I am sure there are members who live in your area. Ask for a reputable shop, post something titled "Any good shop in TN" or something, and hopefully someone will respond. Your dealership definitely deserves "stealership" label.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Was wondering too. Has anyone experienced all kinds of things going wrong with their Cadillac as soon as the warranty runs out?

Caf7,

I have 94K on my '97 Deville and have not had a problem til the fuel rail recall. I beleive moving the wires caused them to misfire taking out the blower motor. Other than that it has been trouble free just like the "energizer bunny".

Chris,

Don't know how close to Huntsville,Al. you are,but there are a couple of places here that will fix your problem and will not rip you off. Topline Tires and Prestige Automotive. They are about fifty yards apart, and do excellent work. I've been using them for over twenty years. They are located on South Parkway(231-431), just south-east of Governors Dr.

Some shops have been known to do a bad job of turning rotors which only makes the problem worse. Did you get your old rotors back? Anymore,unless you know the shop, you should never tell them what you think the problem is, they'll just agree with you, even if they know that something else is causing the problem, and add it to your bill. Just give them the symptoms, let them tell you what the problem is.

I would guess that the problem is still in the brake rotors, or possibly over/unevenly torqued lugnuts.

Topline will only do four wheel alignments on cars. The people at Prestige worked with the local Cadillac dealer for about fifteen years before starting their own shop. They still get "problem" cars from the Cadillac dealer. Their number is 256-534-1800.

Good Luck

Cleatus

Cleatus,

Thanks for the info and the #'s. Very much appreciated. I'm about 70 miles from Huntsville. As soon as I can I'm going to make an appointment and take the Caddy down there and see what they can figure out. I have to drive it back to Idaho come the middle of March. I'd sure like it be squared away before I go.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Chris, ive heard Tupelo, ms, has a wonderful place , also Oxford,ms and i think you are closer to these places..ive never used them, but ive talked to people that have, id give anything if i had known this before, i used another dealer..but i didnt and just went to the closest place near my home, but next time, ill try one of these dealers, oxford is about 30 minutes from me, so thats where im going next time..when i have work done i like a dealer that will explain things to me, and give me proper paperwork, and i didnt get that where i had my work done..but i believe either one of these dealers would treat you right..

I just had the extra time to read this am, and this board is different from most i

have been on...guess i should look at the date more carefully...so sorry...

tmpafford, that is exactly what she is doing, let it go, she is free to build her case, research, and investigate. We are beginning to look to be the problem, we have been criticized as over protective piranas, let it go. She must have searched CRACKED and was viewing this post also

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4744&hl=

Lets calm down an let her do her thing, she has her right, its a shame she has not reported how the new engine is yet, but hey, thats not her priority now, getting back $4,000 is.... Mike

how wrong you are scotty, im finished with the fight...i have my car back and it runs great, looks like new, and i have a warrenty now..im happy things turned out as well as they did...its just money i spent and im not going to carry the rest with me..im no longer fighting for anything, i dont have the extra time to fight , and as you have read in previous post ,i dont know how, anyway..i just made an A## of myself and im not that kind of person at all...

i emailed my paperwork to one on here and its supposed to be posted tonight...from the bottom of my heart im very sorry for all the negative comments ive made...thanks

Well thats nice, but we need to squash this back and forth bickering, do anything you want but we need to move on. This episode has disrupted an otherwise excellent board. These types of issues are emotional, as there are two distinct opinions, much like the last election. I am glad the Deville is running again.

Scotty, i have no intention of bickering anymore..i just lost my cool, i was

so frusturated, and really didnt know what to do...i had so many people telling

me what to do (not on this forum)...but everyone i talked to had thier opinion

and it just confused me to no end..id like to openly make apologies to everyone

in this forum, for the unkind remarks i made, and the extra stress i put in this forum..actually, believe it or not, im known to be a very nice person, but i just let this get the best of me..i hope im still welcome on this forum...thanks

Scotty, i have no intention of bickering anymore..i just lost my cool, i was

so frusturated, and really didnt know what to do...i had so many people telling

me what to do (not on this forum)...but everyone i talked to had thier opinion

and it just confused me to no end..id like to openly make apologies to everyone

in this forum, for the unkind remarks i made, and the extra stress i put in this forum..actually, believe it or not, im known to be a very nice person, but i just let this get the best of me..i hope im still welcome on this forum...thanks

Yes of course, nothing to apologize about, we are viewing a problem from two different perspectives. If you spend some time you will begin to see how good this board is, not to blow my OWN horn, but a good example is the Second Starter thread that is currently active here, that is what we are about, helping fellow Cadillac lovers....We don't normally take kindly to Cadillac haters :lol: as you have seen, you had a very odd and rare problem that we have never seen before and when you came on board we had just done battle with a few rabblerousers, Mike

Here is the link

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5346

I dont hate caddilac's scotty, i have owned 2, if i had hated them, i would have not bought another one after owning 1979 eldorado, i love caddilac's, it makes a statement, when one drives up in a caddy, so now i think i have come clean with all my irritional post...gotta get outta here....yep, im a redneck too lol

Mike,

"Cheetum and Steele" :P

I actually called up a guy's wife when I heard she had got in a minor fender bender and told her that the other party asked "Dewey, Cheetam and How" to represent her in a civil action. B)

She never got it, so we had a real interesting conversation right up to where I demanded to speak to the man of the house! :D

Even after her husband and I were laughing and all, she was still hot (and I probably woulda needed an attorney or a doctor if she got ahold of me) :o

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Mike,

"Cheetum and Steele" :P

I actually called up a guy's wife when I heard she had got in a minor fender bender and told her that the other party asked "Dewey, Cheetam and How" to represent her in a civil action. B)

Geezz..I remember the Three Stooges using that one when I was a kid back in the '50's

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived