CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 STS

Dasher

When I visited the dealership today, the 2005 STS on display had both seats pushed forward as far as they would go and the trunk was open with two large wheeled suitcases and a small carry-on in it.

Apparently there has been a lot of complaints about the size of the back seat and trunk and these were "sales techniques" to offset the complaints.

The problem was that nobody but a child could get into the front seat with the seats pushed so far forward.

Actually the trunk is not so small. It is the OPENING that is small. There is no way you could put the box of a computer or a 20" TV, or many other things, into that

opening. I know it's not a pick-up truck but daily living mandates that we carry some purchases in our trunks.

I also find this they should not have made the STS's smaller than the ones the old style ones it's just not the way Cadillacs should be built. I know they have to compete with the European companys but they were doing just fine before and still had a nice big roomy car! :D

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Well Yenko, I don't know but it was my impression they were trying to fool people into thinking the car had a bigger back seat than it has. Why else would they put the seats all the way forward. If anybody tried to sit in it, they couldn't possibly get in w/o putting the seat back.

Sizes are so hard to get a handle on. There's the differences in wheel base and the difference in over-all length and then the way the car is divided up inside between front, back, engine compartment and trunk. All these things make a difference. I only know that, when I looked at the car with the thought of buying one a month ago, I adjusted the front seat where I would want it and then got in the back. Then I didn the same thing with my 2000 STS and I definitely had less leg room in the 2005. Cadillac insists that the interior of the 2005 is not smaller.

As I said above, the trunk is a little smaller but the OPENING is a lot smaller.

I hate to drive a Cadillac and have my friends be squeezed in the back seat. Nothing wrong with a little squeezing in the back seat; but it shouldn't be done byi the car.

It frustrates me because I really want an STS with all its gadgets and refinements but the size is definitely standing in the way, for now, at least. Maybe I'll get a DTS. I've always felt they were a little too big. I'll probably keep driving the one I've got until it starts to fall apart. It has 85k and the warranty runs to 100K but that will come up in less than a year. I drove my 93 to 193K.

Ya if I were thinking of buying a brand new Cadillac I would probly buy a DTS! they are nice and big and thats what I like to. The STS's body styling does nothing for me I don't like them that much they look to much like a bloated CTS. Don't get me wrong the STS is a nice car now but I would much rather spend my money on a 04 STS! ;)

user posted image

Well, the STS was discontinued in 04. They only made the SLS so you'll have to settle for an 03 STS.

Well, the STS was discontinued in 04. They only made the SLS so you'll have to settle for an 03 STS.

Are you sure? I did not no that! :huh:

user posted image

They discontinued them in anticipation for the 05 sts. 

Chris

O thats makes sence. Yes Dasher I guess your right I would have to get an 03 STS because I caould not settle for that 25 less h.p!!!! :lol:

user posted image

I think it was still available in Canada. Possibly Europe also, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

Ya thats what I was thinking cause I live in Canada and I wasn't sure but I thought that I had seen an 04 STS at the dealership I never wanted to say anything though. (Scared that an arguement would get started up) LOL ;)

user posted image

I think it was still available in Canada. Possibly Europe also, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

The STS was definitely available in Canada for '04.

As for the trunk "opening" size of the '05, I cannot put a boxed 17" computer monitor in the trunk of my '94. The '05 may be smaller than the previous models, however none have a very large opening.

I don't see it as an issue.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I keep seeing these on the road...I stopped to look at one parked...I'd really like to get in one and check it out, especially trunk space compared to my 94 and legroom as well. Funny that the 04 sts was available elseware other than the US. That would be the one to get...The 04 sts, bring it down from canada. haha.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I don't think there were any design changes from the '03 US model STS to the '04 CAN model STS, the line was still up and running and the leftovers had to go somewhere. So, essentially the same car, but with a different year stamped on the door plate.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

In the US some (maybe all) SLS looked the same as previous STS's, foglights, body color grill etc ...

Jim

DID the still have the 300 horsepower northstar or just the 275???

user posted image

Has anybody here compared the overall length of the 05 STS compared to a CTS? You will be surprised! As far as the trunk is concerned, both past generations of the Seville have a smallish trunk. Nothing compared to my buddy and his Marauder. But the STS is faster and he hates that! At least we have something!

Archived