CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Who has gone from a pre 98 to a 98 or newer?

Va Maddog

I have a 95 now and am looking for a newer SLS or STS. If I go to a 96 or 97 I would get the updated interior but the same exterior and chassis. The 98 and newer models include many small enhancements and an updated chassis and body.

I was just wondering if anyone here has moved up from a pre 98 to something newer? If so what did you notice the most about the differences between the two cars? Is there a noticable difference in ride or handling? Are the newer ones quieter? Are the seats more comfortable? Things like that. As the engine has pretty much stayed the same I'm guessing that straight line performance is about equal.

I'm spoiled now because my 95 SLS has the sunroof, Bose, heated seats and adjustable lumbar. I know that most STS's come with much of this standard, but in the SLS those are all options. I like these features so the next one will have to have the same options plus I want the memory seats next time.

I think that there are also a few people here who have gone from an SLS/STS to a DTS. Does the DTS still have a sporty feel to it? It looks so much bigger, but it is only about 3 inches longer than my 95 which is not very much of a difference.

I'll be interested in your feedback.

When I took the 98 for a drive It could just be me but i felt that the seats were more stiffer and not as comphertible that could just be me though! Also it could have just been in my head because I wanted the car so bad but it seemed to grip to the road a little more.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I went from a 97 Concours to the 99 STS. The biggest difference I noticed was the ride is noticiably better on the STS. It smooths out the highway cracks that used to be felt in the Concours.

However my next car is going to be a DTS. I just think the interior on the STS is too small. I have owned a 55, 62, 75, 79, 85, 97 & 99. Since 75 they have gotten smaller & thats OK but the STS is just a little too small. Four people in it is one or two too many.IMO

I went from a '92 to a '98.

'98 has less legroom in the front & rear.

'98 has nicer interior and runs quieter.

'92 transmission seemed to work better.

'98 gets better gas mileage and has more engine response.

'92 had main bearing knock at 130,000 miles...don't know about the '98 yet.

Hopefully that has been eliminated.

'92 has a better body. '98 has problems with body trim coming loose below the doors and thr drivers side window rubber keeps getting pinched when the window

is rolled up.

These are just a few things I have noticed....

Va Maddog,

Dude...forget all options except the RSS & Stabilitrac!

I have a '99 STS and couldn't imagine ever owning another car without it!

The day I found the car and knew it had active suspension was one of the happiest days of my life!

The RSS will blow you away if you drive it hard in bad weather or really hard

in dry weather...I had a NEON owner in the car a few weeks ago in a snowstorm in New York...

He was ready to crap his pants when I started passing everything in sight..

After a while he relaxed and enjoyed the ride...He said he had no idea a car

could handle like that...I took a wet, sloppy, snow covered off ramp at 45 mph and

never missed a beat...he couldn't believe it...I told him I do a ramp like that at

55 mph in the dry!

Go for the STS..you won't be sorry!

my .02

Thanks for the replies everyone. Keep posting if you like.

I think that I would enjoy the better suspension on an STS and the perforated leather on the seating areas, but I hate to give up the better gas mileage of an SLS - probably 3-5 mpg better than an STS. I'm keeping my eye on EBay for the right newer Seville to come along. Also watching for DTS's, but you can get a better value in an STS or SLS compared to a DTS.

Right now, since I really like my 95 SLS, I'm in no hurry, but my son would probably differ with me as he wants the 95! 108k and it still looks and runs like a new car. These are really nice cars when they have been taken care of.

Over the years I have had a 94 STS, 95 SLS, 97 STS (2) and now a 99 SLS. (I am a used car dealer and love to drive these.)

In my experience, the 94 STS was the fastest and stiffest suspension. Could feel the weight in the 97 STS and was not quite as fast, but liked the interior better. I actually like the power delivery in everyday driving better in the SLS, more bottom end torque. It seems like you have to get the rrrr's up in the STS to get flying.

Now to the 98+....

It fells like it is a much better car all around. My first impressions were the chassis is much, much, more solid. It just feels more rigid when going over bumps, turns etc. It does not seem as fast as the older ones and I understand they gained some weight. The interior is also better. The suspension seems pretty soft in my 99 SLS and I would think a STS would be better.

I still love the look of the 97 and older, they will be classics and are a great value for the money.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Keep posting if you like.

I think that I would enjoy the better suspension on an STS and the perforated leather on the seating areas, but I hate to give up the better gas mileage of an SLS - probably 3-5 mpg better than an STS. I'm keeping my eye on EBay for the right newer Seville to come along. Also watching for DTS's, but you can get a better value in an STS or SLS compared to a DTS.

Right now, since I really like my 95 SLS, I'm in no hurry, but my son would probably differ with me as he wants the 95! 108k and it still looks and runs like a new car. These are really nice cars when they have been taken care of.

Maddog,

Keep looking, their out there. I just ran across a '99 SLS for my daughter. It had 23K on it and every option but sunroof I think. We got it for about $12,100 ($13,000 out the door). When I got home I wanted to throw rocks at my Deville. If she hadn't bought it, I think I would have. I can't compare it to earlier models but it is one sweet ride. I'm starting to think about a Seville the next time around, DHS at very least.

I'd definitely go with an STS over the SLS. It's just a better car and the price difference is marginal for an older one these days.

As for the pre vs post 98s....

We have a '98 STS and a '94 STS

As far as features goes, I love the '98... The cd player, memory control.. just everything about it is great on the inside, i love the interior and it feels more luxurious all-around.

If you're looking for a sporty car.. the '94 is my fave. It drives a lot stiffer in my opinion, picks up a lot faster, and has an overall feel of a faster engine when going from a dead stop. Even at high speeds when passing, you feel the pickup a lot more in the '94 than the '98 and to be honest it sounds a lot meaner.

If the '98 had the stiff and sport ride and seats of the '94, It would be one hell of a sport-luxury car. However it seems that in '98 they took some of the "touring" out of the STS... Focussed more on luxury than a feel of great performance.

Either way, the STS is the way to go. And as it's the '98 which I drive, I must say... it's quite the car, even if it doesnt feel as sporty as the '94 or rev as loud.

Archived