CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Question on air bag removal 2002 Deville

Well I couldn't resist, bought another 2002 Deville DHS. It was a really good deal. $800 and it has only 105K miles and it's clean. No over heat and coolant gas test came up good.

Had a few quirks which I fixed most of today. Like had a shut off valve on the heater line because of constant heat on passenger side. Turned out the blend door motor had stripped gears.

Back to the point the horn had it's own button screwed to the knee booster and had a power wire run from fuse box and the switch sending ground. That's easy too dangerous for me. Can't reach to button in an emergency. So I went to the horns and plugged in the factory wires and immediately the horn was on constant. I went to the airbag and pushed and there was no give. It seems as if the horn contracts have been pushed too hard or the spring has failed. I removed air bag and there is no way to bend contacts back.

I found a few air bags at pick and pull. But since none of the cars have keys I can't use my air bag removal tool to release air bag.

Does anyone know of a way to get steering wheel to turn with out any keys? Like if I try to turn really hard can I break the steering wheel lock so it can turn?

Currently I own a 2002 and a 2003besides this new purchase and both of those lock if you and turn the wheel 1/8 of a turn. Not sure on the 2005 models though.

Currently I own a 2002 and a 2003besides this new purchase and both of those lock if you and turn the wheel 1/8 of a turn. Not sure on the 2005 models though.

That is interesting - my 2005 does not lock the steering wheel. Someting must have changed in the steering column for the 2004 model year.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I guess it's legal. Pick and pull sold me one with no problem. Actually provided the vin from the car out came from just in case I was using it for a rebuilt salvage vehicle to prove where the used parts came from.

Btw since it was a salvage yard and not my car I just used a screw driver and busted out the plastic cover on the rear half of the steering wheel to access the clips that hold the air bag in place.

That is interesting - my 2005 does not lock the steering wheel. Someting must have changed in the steering column for the 2004 model year.
What year is the face lift? 2005 or 2006?

I wish that Cadillac would have given identifiers to different generation cars. Like a c4 or c6 corvette. If you say Deville that can cover a lot of different models and years. Base,dhs, dts, concourse and others. My Mercedes is a w221 chassis. That's a 2007-2014 S class. Instead GM always just had body. Like F, J, G and more.

What year is the face lift? 2005 or 2006?

I wish that Cadillac would have given identifiers to different generation cars. Like a c4 or c6 corvette. If you say Deville that can cover a lot of different models and years. Base,dhs, dts, concourse and others. My Mercedes is a w221 chassis. That's a 2007-2014 S class. Instead GM always just had body. Like F, J, G and more.

2006 got the restyled front and rear.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Wow. I had the horn button issue with my 96 Deville and I got lucky to get the airbag out of a 97 that a friend had bought.

They had a change in 97 for the airbag horn issue. Once I installed the 97 airbag problem never came back.

As for buying a used one I could not get one. Only new which was quite expensive

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

10 - 15 years ago I had a 78 Coupe DeVille. It was in really nice shape having never been out of Raleigh, NC.

Except the sun bakes everything... The air bag/horn was shrunk enough from the years that when the temp fell below 35 degrees the vinyl shrank just enough to fire the horn. It was funny. I just pulled the fuse for the winter after the neighbor banged on the door a few times.

Later all!

RC

Archived