CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

abs/traction control lights on:repair

airmike

I have been having abs/traction control lights on intermittently for some time now. At the same time the radio started having intermittent volume loss (the power was still there showing volume and station). I started looking under the car at the EBTCM module. My reasoning was that this started after I changed the front (closest to radiator) motor mount and had to lower the cradle a few inches to accomplish that. I suspected stretched/broken wire or poor connection there. Noticing the clamp was missing that holds the wiring harness, I started with inspecting and wiggling those wire connections and attempting to get a new clamp. I put new ground wire connectors and cleaned the connection points and new bolts. After all that, no change. I have a tech II that I have connected and got many codes, including loss of communication to more than one module. The last couple times I hooked up the tech II it would say loss of communication, check key is on.

I decided at this point to change the ignition switch in any case. Having changed the switch, my abs/trac lights were staying off longer but still on. The intermittent radio problem was gone, but now the power to the interior mirror was intermittent (I could tell this because that is where my radar detector is wired) and the transmission was acting strange when the abs/trac lights would start blinking. I also noticed that the heater/air controls didn't seem to change temp when the abs light was on. Now I am certain that something is going on with that switch. It is new AC Delco part. I started jiggling the wires in the connector with results. I cleaned every single wire in both connectors . no change. So I removed every single wire from both connectors and tightened the tension on them and replaced in harness. Now I really couldn't get any results wiggling the wires, so I grabbed the entire switch and started moving it around. I could get the lights to go off every time I moved the assembly so I removed the lock assembly and tried to find anything that was not making constant contact. I finally realized that if I pushed the switch (that I replaced) toward the seats it stayed working. There is connection tabs on the new switch where it is assembled, but I can find no way to tighten them. I am wondering if the 3 contacts inside where the cylinder connects with the switch are not making a good connection.IMG_20151010_1518582611_zpsjivcqcs3.jpg I have cleaned and moved them slightly so they would have a new contact area. Still no success. Finally I came up with a solution, temporary as it may be. I took a wedge and pushed it in behind the switch assembly to keep it constantly pushed in. As for now the lights are off and all symptoms seem to be gone. I noticed the check engine light is off also, I didn't realize this could cause that to come on? I tried to find all the codes I had wrote down, but seem to have thrown them away. I had them in text messages sent to myself, but I do that too often, so they disappeared too. I tried history from the car, but evidently taking the switch out turned on about 100 history codes. (at least not current) :)

Does the three-hole connector pull out the back of the black housing? You might be able to work in the connector if you get it out.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

No it doesn't come out. Its new, part of the new switch. I am suspecting the lock assembly, which is the part that I tweaked trying to make better contact. I would prefer to find a way to test that before re-keying it and spending whatever that cost. I also don't know what got into my head about that check engine light, of course it reset after disconnecting battery and replacing switch.

Check and clean the grounds on the front of the transmission. relocate the one ground on the left front frame rail. It's underneath the air filter housing on a 99 Seville. You will go to remove the 10mm bolt and the bolt will break. relocate the ground on the metal stud on the LF strut tower. Ignition switches and grounds are bad for intermitten issues on these cars.

I did clean the ground, nut and wire connector end on the front, and replaced both of the other wires and bolts a week ago, with no results.

Having a wedge behind the ignition switch is making things work correctly for a few days now. I have no intermittent issues anywhere

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, those three wires on that tiny connector are associated with the security system, they transfer a signal from from magnets in the key lock cylinder to the BCM. On my 2002 Monte Carlo I was having an intermittant start related tonthe security system and I soldered those three wires in place. I have photos some place but can't find them. I doubt that those wires are related to your intermittant power, check the connector.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived