CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Member, 2000 Seville, No VTD Data??!!

New member here! I have a 2000 Seville with 97,000 miles. I bought this at auction and there wasn't a key. I know, I know... it's a big risk!

Anyway, I went to the dealer and had another key made. He said I could program it using the "turn key on, wait 10 minutes, turn key off, then repeat 2 more times. I can't get it to work. The SECURITY light stays illuminated the entire time. I've waited 45 minutes for it to go off and it never goes off.

I learned how to run the DTCs and had a big surprise. There's no data from the VTD or DMM.

The other CURRENT codes are as follows:

ABS C1346

IPC U1000

IPM B1340

IRC U1000

MSM U1000

RIM U 1255

RSS C0662

So I'm assuming there's now power going to the VTD. Right? Any ideas on how to fix this? I've read another post about soldering two or three resistors together and splicing them in. Would this work for a 2000 Seville?

I really appreciate any help anyone can provide!! Love the way the Seville looks. I've never owned a Cadillac before, but I'm pretty good at repairing Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, etc.

Thanks

Mike

A universal remote start bypass might work. But I believe you need a working key to program it. But I've been wrong plenty. My wife will vouch for me being wrong .

ABS C1346 ? No listing...there is a 1246 for open brake pad wear circuit.

IPM B1340 air door mix fault

RSS C0662 level control exhaust valve low

The U1000 and U1255 are network error codes.

Modules connected to the class 2 serial data circuit monitor for serial data communications during normal vehicle operation. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the modules. When a module receives a message for a critical operating parameter, the module records the identification number of the module which sent the message for State of Health monitoring (Node Alive messages). A critical operating parameter is one which, when not received, requires that the module use a default value for that parameter. When a module does not associate an identification number with at least one critical parameter within about five seconds of beginning serial data communication, DTC U1000 or U1255 DTC is set. When more than one critical parameter does not have an identification number associated with it, the DTC will only be reported once.

More....

VTD = vehicle theft deterrent

The Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) system is a function of the Theft Deterrent (VTD) module. When a ignition key is inserted into the ignition lock cylinder, the reader exciter uses wire coils surrounding the ignition lock cylinder to energize a transponder pellet located within the plastic portion of the ignition key. The transponder when energized transmits a unique value by radio frequency back to the reader exciter. The reader exciter sends this value to the VTD module which then validates this value against a value stored in memory and performs one of the following functions:

• If the value does match the stored value the VTD sends the correct pasword to the PCM via a class 2 message, the PCM enables fuel delivery to the engine by activating the fuel injectors and the starter relay.

Important: The VTD module and PCM operate in conjunction with each other to determine fuel enable. A password is exchanged between the VTD module and PCM when the VTD detects a valid key value over the class 2 serial data line. When the PCM receives a password the PCM validates the password against a password stored in memory and performs one of the following functions:

- If the password matches the PCM enables fuel delivery and activates the starter relay.

- If the password does not match the PCM disables fuel delivery,the starter relay, and sets a DTC.

• If the value does not match the stored value, the PCM disables fuel delivery to the engine by disabling the fuel injectors, and does not activate the starter relay.

Being a auction car...who knows. Missing key...network codes. Car may be a flood car...or maybe repairs were attempted with used modules....and they gave up?

So what would be the prudent thing to do? A trip to the dealer to see what's wrong?

Can I somehow diagnose why the DTC is coming up with "NO VTD DATA" first? I'd hate to tow the thing to the dealer only to find out they can't do anything.

Thanks...

So what would be the prudent thing to do? A trip to the dealer to see what's wrong?

Can I somehow diagnose why the DTC is coming up with "NO VTD DATA" first? I'd hate to tow the thing to the dealer only to find out they can't do anything.

Thanks...

It would take a factory service manual with a wiring diagram. I would first check for power and ground to vtd module. Then I'd check for continuity of the communication wires. If that's all good I'd try a uses module and matching key from junkyard

Any idea on where to find a factory service manual or wiring diagram? I know the VTD is near the steering column, right?

Any diagrams would be very helpful. I'm having trouble locate manuals, etc. online. They're more difficult to find than for a Mercedes.

THanks

MIke

www.helminc.com for the printed factory service manuals. There are GM DVD manuals available with some hunting. Also called GM Techline or GM ESI.

I think you need to find someone with a GM Tech 2. See what systems are working and whats not. Pretty much every procedure in the service manual has you connect a Tech 2.

I'll search for someone with a tech 2.

By the way, I installed a used Driver Door Module today. The power window, locks, and outside mirrors now work. The seat automatically adjusts along with the steering wheel.

I ran the DTC and still "No VTD Data"

BUT... the security light now blinks when I put the key in the car. It didn't do that before. It now blinks, goes off for a moment, then stays on.

I'm going to try the 30 minute procedure tonight, but I'm not expecting much since there's "No VTD Data"

Thanks for the tips... and please stay tuned.

Found the VTD module and it smells burned. I'm trying to include a picture, but the web site doesn't like my URL for some reason.

Anyway, I need another VTD Module because I don't think this one is repairable.

So I'm going to a junkyard tomorrow. Will the dealer have to program the used VTD into my car or will the 30 minute procedure work?

Thanks (and please let me know how to post pics without having them on some URL)

Mike

Found the VTD module and it smells burned. I'm trying to include a picture, but the web site doesn't like my URL for some reason.

Anyway, I need another VTD Module because I don't think this one is repairable.

So I'm going to a junkyard tomorrow. Will the dealer have to program the used VTD into my car or will the 30 minute procedure work?

Thanks (and please let me know how to post pics without having them on some URL)

Mike

I believe that the vtd model has the key resistor value stored in it. I'm not so sure about how to program a new key it. Unless your lucky enough to have the same value on your existing key. I think there are about 9 different resistor values used so a 1 in 9 chance.

I believe that the vtd model has the key resistor value stored in it. I'm not so sure about how to program a new key it. Unless your lucky enough to have the same value on your existing key. I think there are about 9 different resistor values used so a 1 in 9 chance.

The '98+ Sevilles and 2000+ Devilles do not use keys with resistor pellets - they have transponder type keys.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The 30 minute relearn will work as long as you have master keys. As in not the gray valet key.

I talked to a friend who installs remote starts about using a remote start passkey 3 bypass and he said that would work of vtd module is good. So prob not the solution for you.

But he tell me about a passkey 3 fix. It looks interesting I should fix exactly what you need. I've never personally used one. My friend has installed about 15-20 of them and recommends it for vtd problems. I looked at their website and it has a 30 money back policy so can't lose too much. Maybe. Here is website . http://newrockies.com

Take a look. Might be cheaper than used module than dealer program. Or used module with key and cylinder. Then dealing with door and trunk key and ignition key. Or rekeying all the locks to match .

This is a door lock and transponder bypass for a remote start and/or alarm. It cost about $8-10. This is a spare I had from my remote start. Easy to program and it will let car with out a key, but only when the bypass module is energized so the passkey still works when remote start sends power signal. In your situation I'd wire to always have power, vtd will be permanently bypassed. Just another idea. Don't know if its good. Put a penny on it for size reference.

20151010_025331_zpsztczcxzn.jpg

Archived