CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 Deville Climate Control Temperature drop

Steve Ferraz

Before I start, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me out with my previous issues regarding my Deville. As usual, it was a relay blowout but with the added bonus of a loose fuse box.

This time it is another electrical glitch. Everytime the temp hits 75F and up on the climate control screen, it glitches and drops to -38. This causes it to switch from A/C to the heater. Not good when it is in the 80's and 90's outside.

What causes this? Thanks.

First, I would run the codes while the problem is happening and see if there is anything there that will pinpoint the problem.

Second, I would look at the outside air temperature sensor and see if the connector is loose, or, barring that, if the sensor is bad.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

My Olds Bravada exhibited very similar symptoms, and as Jim mentioned above, it was the outside temperature sensor. The sensor on my Bravada was in front of the radiator and would expect it to be so where in and around the front clip.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I don't have a FSM that is accurate for the 1999 Deville. Anyone?

If nobody steps up, I will look it up for the 2002 Deville, which is probably OK for this.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I checked online and found where it was located. In front of the radiator under the hood latch. I went to the nearest Autozone and go their only ambient air sensor for my car. Only cost me $14 plus tax. Took me a couple of minutes to replace it and so far it no massive temp drop.

I'll let everyone know if it didn't work. Thanks.

How was the plug? sometimes the plug gets corrosion on one of the pins and it messes with the resistance value, which in turn gives a faulty temp readout (ambient)

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived