CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

p0741 and tranny leak

bjd618

Ive got error code p0741 with no symptoms other than that it is a little hard to shift out of 1st after the car has been sitting for a while. There is also a trans fluid leak that seems to be coming from near the drivers side wheel that leaves puddles when the wheel is turned hard in either direction or if one wheel is higher than the other. Its an 01 Seville STS with 115,000 miles. Does this sound like the typical bad solenoid or TCC? Do you think the tranny leak is unrelated or is it connected to the code? Ive also got B1983, B1390, and p0440. Thanks for any input.

P0741 TCC System Stuck Off
B1983 Device Power Circuit Low
B1390 Device Voltage Reference Input Circuit Malfunction
P0440 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System

The first thing that the factory shop manual (I'm using the 2002 model year here) says is to check the transmission fluid level. The next thing to check is the transmission cooler lines to the radiator. The transmission cooler is in the left tank. The FSM says to make sure that the lines aren't kinked or pinched.

The P0440 means that the EVAP system isn't holding pressure. This can be a loose or leaking gas cap. Check all the lines on the EVAP system.

The other two codes are probably from a low battery sometime in the last couple of months.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You have the typical 3rd clutch housing bushing worn. It's not a axle seal and don't replace it. The bushing on the clutch housing wears away causing excessive axle travel and fluid leakage from the drivers axle . The 741 are turbine seals on the upper valve body plate for TCC lock up. I charge 1500$ with a converter while I am doing head gaskets on the car.

So the leak and the p0741 are not related and fixing one doesn't fix the other? I'm not looking to put a whole bunch of money into this and may just get rid of the car if getting every thing fixed is going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

The leak and the 741 code are not related. The trans. has to come out of the car to fix the P0741 code. While it's out, the 3rd clutch housing bushing can be replaced. It shouldn't cost thousands...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived